KittehDiety
SwimHumbug

All About Kudos

Kudos are basically turned on as an experiment.  They work really well in a lot of communities from what I've read and we wanted to try them out here to see how they do.

I've read the complaints like "Why do we need this?"  "It just causes drama" etc, etc, blah blah blah, but I thought it'd be worth something to try them out and see how it goes.

The benefits from Kudos are to highlight the best/funniest/lulzy/epic/internetbuzzword posts in the community.  

So instead of trying to remember where that one guy said that classic thing, click on kudos and see the top 100 or whatever classic things all those guys said.

So that's why we might want this if it's done right.

As for the drama part.  That's on y'all I guess.  If y'all stick to kudosing funny posts then it'll work.

If  someone gets on an alt and runs through their main's tracker to get on the Leaderboard, which makes it obvious that they did that when they have double the number of the person below them, or posts a thread asking for kudos it obviously screws up the system.

And mods can see that and take away all their kudos with one click.  They can even take away future kudos making privileges for the people spamming non-stop or give users doing it right extra kudos weight so they can add 2 or 3 kudos with one click.

And I can disable kudos per board, so if a board starts having perpetual problems with it, they'll have to go away.  (that said I'm gonna enable IB's kudos now.  let's see what happens)

For more instructions on how to use Kudos click on the FAQ a few posts up or the Help button at the top of each page.

Discuss here, so I can lock all those kudos threads floating around.

Grumpy Cat
covered_in_sponges

Re: All About Kudos

Reply to SwimHumbug - Message ID#: 54716147

Zeni for KudosKing!
I'd like to thank everyone who participated and voted for an awesome competition.

Second Place- Grave by Kohikki

Third Place- Neon Genesis Evan-DELI-on by Gaynor

Also Third Place- Prophet By BadWitch

Kittehmortal
dposse

we've tried a "kudo" type system at least twice before. both times it was taken away due to abuse (as we are seeing now).

if you wanna try it, thats fine with me. I won't be surprised when it gets taken away again.
Order of the Kitteh
Glodson

Well, I just think the Kudos thing will fall behind the tagging.

But, will Mods have some criteria before they delete Kudos? I mean, if people are going around trying to encourage or get another user on top of the leaderboard, will they delete those kudos even though the user didn't actually cheat?

And how are you planning to select people for having weighted Kudos? I know you are just playing with it, but a plan is a good thing to have.
KittehGuru
panic

If I kudos flood and then revoke one of my kudos, can I kudos again?
Order of the Kitteh
MafiaFlood

Why do I have the feeling this feature isn't going to last very long, ESPECIALLY after being unleashed on IB? :smileyindifferent:
★ ♦ ♥ I'm looking at myself, reflections of my mind. ♥ ♦ ★
:heart: ♥ Komichi, always ♥ :heart:
☆ I have double kudos, so be extra witty. ☆
CLICK THIS
stilgar likes me for my lamia-ness ^,...,^
:robotindifferent:
KittehDiety
SwimHumbug

Reply to Glodson - Message ID#: 54716681

If someone has obviously just gone down a list and kudoed every post they've seen then they'll be wiped.
If a thread has been created that asks for kudos it'll be locked and the kudos deleted.
If a user proves themself to be responsible with the kudos and just a good all around user someone will up their weight.

It's that easy really.
KittehHipster
cannabear

Reply to MafiaFlood - Message ID#: 54716861

My feelings reciprocate yours. IB will be the death of the plight to make Kudos cool and useful.
poco meno mosso
rip
Order of the Kitteh
Glodson

Reply to SwimHumbug - Message ID#: 54716943

Well, I guess that is easy.

Here's hopping the abuse is kept to a funny minimum.
KittehGuru
panic

Would it be considered spam to kudo all the I CLAP FOR THE SHOE HANDS posts in the I CLAP FOR THE SHOE HANDS thread in the archives?

I'm hoping you say yes and wipe them so I don't have to spend the rest of the week doing it.

MasterKitteh
DreamTheater2112

KittehArbiter
SwimMod_Bast

Reply to dposse - Message ID#: 54716573

dposse wrote:
we've tried a "kudo" type system at least twice before. both times it was taken away due to abuse (as we are seeing now).

The previous system was a ratings system that was abused because ppl were trolled with low ratings. In this case, there is no way to insult someone, only to compliment them. You can like them too much, i guess, but as explained in the OP, if the Kudos are spammed by an individual, those points can easily be removed.

super duper
SwimLlama
skyllama13

can we make them completely invisible yet?

so that i dont hafta pretend that they arent there?

because i already do that with the snakes and the spiders and the ants and the funny little gnomes.

and that list is getting out of hand already.

I've always depended on the kindness of strangers.
Awesome X
Pryoga

I like kudos for the exact reasons you've listed we have them now. Now I can tell someone I like their post without having to say something to them.

Cause talking to you people, eww.
KittehLegend
Scotch_tape_Hates-

it seems like a fun idea, as long as its managed like you just described.

PUDDI PUDDI PUDDI PUDDI PUDDI PUDDI

Grumpy Cat
Kakashi_Sensei18

Reply to SwimHumbug - Message ID#: 54716943

SwimHumbug wrote:
If someone has obviously just gone down a list and kudoed every post they've seen then they'll be wiped.
If a thread has been created that asks for kudos it'll be locked and the kudos deleted.
If a user proves themself to be responsible with the kudos and just a good all around user someone will up their weight.

It's that easy really.

Let's hope we don't fuuuuuudge it up.

But I am ready with the "This is why we can't have nice things!" post, just in case.

KittehStar
Sorce

Since you put so much effort into it, I'll stop being a pessimist. Intead of a week, I'll say the crap will hit the fan in two weeks, and your inbox will be filled with:

"Nobody likes me!"

"They won't give me kudos because everyone's trolling me!"

"So and So has more kudos than me! Take some off, I know he cheated!"

"So and So complained about my kudos, put it back!"

"Why is my kudos so low? Do you like me?"

Giles: Don't taunt the fear demon.
Xander: Why, can he hurt me?
Giles: No, it's just... tacky.
Kittehmortal
dposse

Reply to SwimMod_Bast - Message ID#: 54717793

SwimMod_Bast wrote:

dposse wrote:

The previous system was a ratings system that was abused because ppl were trolled with low ratings. In this case, there is no way to insult someone, only to compliment them. You can like them too much, i guess, but as explained in the OP, if the Kudos are spammed by an individual, those points can easily be removed.

i was talking about "CremeX" who gave himself over two hundred kudos in like a hour, got them deleted by the moderators, and is doing it again.
Order of the Kitteh
MaN-BEaST

Reply to dposse - Message ID#: 54719785

dposse wrote:
i was talking about "CremeX" who gave himself over two hundred kudos in like a hour, got them deleted by the moderators, and is doing it again.

CremeX has not been stacking his Kudos; that's been the work of his loyal fans.

"... Bathtub." -- Justin Jeffre
Kittehmortal
eimajtl

I'm liking the kudos system so far. I've used it for funny post and really helpful posts - which is what I really hope people will actually use it for.

I'm not sure I have much faith in a lot of the members of this site to use this kind of thing responsibly though. I am hoping it'll last at least a few months before it has to be taken away.

Nice to see that there's a way to take away the feature for people if they are being obnoxious with them too. That should keep people in line - somewhat.
Aye swimae.

Letters. And stuff. Maybe some numbers.

"Yes whales are big." -DBZ4ever
KittehGuru
panic

Reply to panic - Message ID#: 54716859

panic wrote:
If I kudos flood and then revoke one of my kudos, can I kudos again?

Kid tested. Mother disproved.

Just revoked about 3 pages of I CLAP FOR THE SHOEHANDS kudos and I still get the 150 kudos per day limit message.

Kittehmortal
harryfrodo

Is there a way of limiting how many kudos a person can hand out per day?

I think that's a good way of stemming the tide and keeping kudo'd posts meaningful. Let's say you get to hand out ten kudos per day. A reasonable number. If a user has a history of wrongly using theirs, maybe make their kudo limit 5 or less.

Just an ideer.
KittehLegend
MrD1718

Reply to harryfrodo - Message ID#: 54720453

I think someone in IM said that they were getting a Kudo flood message.

And I wonder if that kudo flood thing raises according to the kudo weight or not.
Kittehmortal
harryfrodo

Reply to MrD1718 - Message ID#: 54720533

Yeah, there's a limit to how many you can give per hour... but it's 50 or something ridiculous.
KittehIcon
TheMrDeadHead

[ Edited ]

myea i don't see the point. just something that takes up space. but i don't entirely care. if there was a way for people to customize it, maybe it'd be better. that way i could just do it like a black and charcoal and not have little pink things everywhere.

i want the board dropdown list back. i use that more than any other tool.

touch the screen