Order of the Owl
Cepheus84

NPR junkie

I know many of you would be surprised to find out that I don't really listen to right-wing talk shows, I usually listen to NPR when I have radio turned on.  And I have to say the reason why is that they really do have some compelling shows.  The best show of them all is a little slice-of-life program called This American Life, which- astroundingly, incredibly- is available completely for free via their website, with archives going all the way back to 1995.  There are episodes of this series that will make you laugh or cry uncontrollably, will scare or amaze you beyond belief.  If I ever had to explain to an alien species what life was like in turn-of-the-century America, I don't think you could really do any better than send this show to them.

So, if you have any free time, search through their archives for something that may interest you and take a listen.  You won't regret it, I promise.

My own suggestions-

A janitor takes control of a public school in upstate New York and rules it with an iron fist.

A lawyer tries to clear a man of murder by getting a prosecution witness to play tic-tac-toe with a chicken.

The best explanation of the mortgage crisis I've ever seen or heard.

Quit talking about math. This thread is about wanting to be raped.
-lunarnoodle
Swimmortal
westpark

Re: NPR junkie

[ Edited ]

Reply to Cepheus84 - Message ID#: 63785861

I listen to NPR when i listen to the radio sometimes. I like a lot of their classical music. i don't really know which radio programs they have by name but sometimes I tune in just to see what they're talking about. Considering the modern rock station I used to listen to was axed about a year ago & replaced with some crap channel it does make for some interesting listening.

BTW I just found that thing you linked about the toxic asset. They're only describing it half way. Yeah you do own '2000k mortgages' but that's only part of it. They cut the packaged mortgage block up into several hundred pieces. You actually own 'a piece of a block of mortgages.'

And they call that 'a complex credit instrument.'

Those of us who are novice to even professional ordinary investors call that an asset-backed junk bond not worth the ink the paper is printed on.

In another words -- a Bush real estate bond.

WESTPARK THE KING OF ASMB

"westpark ran a train on this thread" - Stilgar

"Every woman needs a good slap now & again." - Sir Sean Connery
SwimStar
Zaphod_209

NPR does pretty good coverage of the news.  My only complaint is that it is presented in a boring and dry format.  Their droning voices can have a sedative effect.  If they weren't doing something like a Skype! interview with someone in Syria with shells and machine gun fire audible in the background, I probably would fall asleep.

I listened to moring edition every weekday durring breakfast.

Dude, that was my heat sink.
Now where am I gonna sink my heat?
SwimIcon
the_shotgun_rhetoric

I like This American Life, their news coverage in general and some of the other programming they have (Car Talk and sometimes their music segments) but the rest I could take or leave. It doesn't help that the president of Northeast Public Radio is an egomaniac and raving ####, his appearances during fund drives have resulted in countless facepalms and the occasional punching of my car's radio.

The made-up stories are all about brilliant handsome rich suave people who almost get away with it; the real stories are about stupid, mean pigs who confess the minute they get brought into the interrogation room. Just scum killing scum, for some dumb reason or no reason at all. That’s the smell of truth. ~ Gary Brecher
Order of the Owl
Icarus27k

I found a church through NPR. Seriously. You could say this broadcast changed my life.

http://www.npr.org/programs/atc/features/2000/dec/001225.cfoa.htm
l

;
SwimHotshot
lunarnoodle

[ Edited ]

I'm definitely addicted. I even listen to CarTalk.

Also, I really do want Carl Castle on my voicemail.

I am completely serious.
The Librarian

I enjoy NPR. It seems pretty unbiased and there's news on there that's not what you hear everywhere else. There are actually HAPPY stories. O_O

Also, I especially love the old radio dramas they play. REALLY LOVE them. >_> [i think that's npr]
Aye swimae.
"Yes whales are big." -DBZ4ever
“Something to remember, that: cats for missiles.”

Come talk books in The Library!
SwimIcon
rotanalebor

This American Life is probably the best show that NPR syndicates. You should check out Radiolab, too, if you haven't already. It's like This American Life except more science-y. Some people are annoyed by the hosts' patter, though, so YMMV.
yes
SwimHELPeR
DoomsDayDevice

NPR has pretty much turned into one of the only stations I listen to, and TAL is one of the programs I also love, followed by Fresh Air.

IMMA RAIN HOT DOOM DOWN UPON YOU!

Visit The Pillow Fort

You're dead to me.

SwimHotshot
lunarnoodle

Reply to rotanalebor - Message ID#: 63792443

When I was in NY, Fresh Air came on at 2 pm, so I would listen to it at work. The local npr station had morning edition, democracy now, world cafe, and fresh air before all things considered.

Where I'm living now there is no democracy.now or world cafe at all and fresh air comes on at 7 when I am not typically listening. I miss it. Teri Gross does very good interviews. I guess I should start pod casting.
I am completely serious.
Order of the Owl
covered_in_sponges

I used to listen to NPR exclusively before I found the college station.
I'd like to thank everyone who participated and voted for an awesome competition.

Second Place- Grave by Kohikki

Third Place- Neon Genesis Evan-DELI-on by Gaynor

Also Third Place- Prophet By BadWitch

SwimLegend
GiantMegaDoucheX

My parrot listens to NPR for the music.

I can't stand most talk radio...it's almost always politically charged sensationalist tripe.

SwimHotshot
Nameraka_Hanzaisha

Ira Glass is amazing. 

NPR is pretty much all that's worth listening to on the radio around here. 

But our trip was different. It was to be a classic affirmation of everything right and true in the national character. A gross physical salute to the fantastic possibilities of life in this country. But only for those with true grit.
Swimfamous
desantoos

Cepheus84 wrote:

I know many of you would be surprised to find out that I don't really listen to right-wing talk shows,

Actually, your opinions are way too sophisticated to be of the right-wing talk shows. Anybody who thinks otherwise just hasn't been paying attention.

I shot an arrow toward the sky...
Order of the Owl
Detroit_Red

My fave show was News & Notes, then they cancelled it. Then I took a huge liking to Tell Me More. Guess what happened. I see a pattern I never expected from them. Is our listeners percentage that low or.... what? :smileysad:

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_privilege

Owl #318
SwimLegend
TheGreatUrameshi13

I'm not a fan of NPR.  Simply because the only time I would be able to listen to it is when I'm driving.  I can't do that, though, because those quiet, dolcet tones put me to sleep.

Granted, the polar opposite of that would be Limbaugh, but then I'd have to shoot the radio.

"Let us not seek to satisfy our thirst for freedom by drinking from the cup of bitterness and hatred."
Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

SwimGuru
stevo1588

This reminds me, I need to download this week's Wait Wait...Don't Tell Me podcast.
The original and best.
SwimSuperfan
Pero8P

the turkey story after the chicken one is funny. the chicken one is more of a cocktease.
"Fear me - Pero8P
Freinds: abby_dooby cereal my gramma markoff_cheney evilknome ryan_plays_flok
Swimfamous
Rasputin0070

Car Talk, Says You, Wait Wait, Don't Tell Me . . .

NPR probably built too much of my humor for me to leave it anytime soon.

Aside from my recent fixation with books on CD, my radio is always tuned to NPR. 

Ignorance is forgivable, but willful ignorance is not. -lowman :: Perception is a real mutha for ya. -slyfoxx2
The S.U.V. [ Sorry about the broken promise thing, but I'm evil. ]
A Brave Accomplishment for the People, Comrades.
Order of the Owl
Cepheus84

Reply to Pero8P - Message ID#: 63805757

Yeah, it's just an intro story. The turkey one really is hilarious. Anyone who writes for a living will appreciate how awesomely funny the opening line of that is.
Quit talking about math. This thread is about wanting to be raped.
-lunarnoodle
Reeve
NaBraniel

SwimStar
1938_Packard

Cepheus84 wrote:

A janitor takes control of a public school in upstate New York and rules it with an iron fist.

Well, that wasn't my grandfather. He was working in a coal mine until he studied to be a boiler engineer.

As for NPR itself, if you're going to listen to that station get the right receiver for it. You don't want any crackling, overlap or fade-outs disrupting Car Talk.
Police la dee dah...

Police la dee dah...
SwimHELPeR
4-HBabe

Reply to 770312 - Message ID#: 63790011

770312 wrote:

Also, I especially love the old radio dramas they play. REALLY LOVE them. >_> [i think that's npr]

You should watch A Prarie Home Companion.

"It doesn't matter how black you think you are." - SwimMod_Bast smack down of the week

also, boobs, lesbians, undergarments