Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
SwimSuperfan
silent_reaper

The More You Know!

We should take polar bear off of the endangered species list because they are fricken scary!

SwimLegend
Buddyroe360

Re: The More You Know!

Reply to silent_reaper - Message ID#: 63341349

Since I'm no environmenalist I don't care if they die out.......I don't think we should kill them, but I don't want to make any type of effort to preserve them........What are we even saving anything in that ecosystem tha isn't ice for anyway?

Kaitlyn brought a wolf for me to fight, and refused to speak to me until I'd bested it in battle.
I did so, easily. Because there are three things that I'm the t!ts at: Barbecuing, Mega Man 2 and finding lupine pressure points.
I thought we'd mack a little after that, but she just laugh-cried manically over the wolf corpse until her face turned purple. Also, she was driving an Aztek and that's literally my only deal breaker.

I'M COMMITTING VERBAL MURDER IN THE MAJOR THIRD DEGREE
MY NAME IS BEETHOVEN MOTHERPHUKKER, MAYBE YOU'VE HEARD OF ME.
SwimLegend
MusketBoned

I think we should stop having endangered species lists and try to realize we don't control earth.
Do you have any fruit swords?

"I was just saying; smart smart smart, classic cars, Portland."

I HAVEN'T EVEN JERKED OFF SINCE EASTER
SwimLegend
Nile

Reply to MusketBoned - Message ID#: 63341429

No, but we exert more influence on life than any other species this planet has ever seen.

Nature is very robust, ecosystems are not. We could destroy any ecosystem we damned well please, and often do completely by accident. We need things like endangered species lists and wild life protection programs to keep our selves in check and prevent us from wreaking havoc on whatever we see fit.

There's a video I'd like to post off youtube, but it contains quite a bit of violent imagery we do to animals. Like shark finning, whaling, poaching of rhinos for horns, the various animals that are killed in fishing nets (that are not the targets, like dolphins, hammer head sharks, and sea turtles), the clubbing of baby seals (it's always funny until you see what it really looks like), an awful practice known as "bile bears"...

Our ability to use tools puts us at a superior advantage that no animal can compete with. We can kill anything we want, and as much of it as we want. This is not natural selection. If we don't do anything about it, it's just butchery.

Keep in mind I am no vegitarian or animal rights activist.

Children deform. You can hear them. Hopefully in pain. Screaming love songs. In my head. In my hell.
Keep it Brutal
Heavy Metal Music Videos Last.fm
SwimLegend
MusketBoned

Reply to Nile - Message ID#: 63341733

And in my mind nature will be able to correct itself. The more we f*ck this place up the more likely we are to suffer dramatic losses in population. And then those that survive might respect nature.

SwimLegend
Nile

Reply to MusketBoned - Message ID#: 63342059

Nature will correct everything... over time scales of hundreds of thousands to millions of years.

We need to protect ecosystems and animals because we should never even get close to the point where we've destroyed so much it starts to kill us. I don't even understand how you can consider that to be a reasonable plan. "Let's just wantonly kill anything and everything. It'll eventually kill us too, but who cares? Not gonna hurt me"

Children deform. You can hear them. Hopefully in pain. Screaming love songs. In my head. In my hell.
Keep it Brutal
SwimHotshot
lunarnoodle

MusketBoned wrote:
And in my mind nature will be able to correct itself.

That would mean removing a fair portion of humans from the planet. 

You can't really claim "nature's rule" in any sort of objective scenario because we don't exist in nature. We live on top of it, really. It's sort of underfoot. Sometimes we visit there on weekends for a picnic.

And if we screw it up, it seems to follow that we might make steps to .. not screw it up all the way.. even if we aren't actually correcting anything.

I am completely serious.
SwimHotshot
lunarnoodle

Also, polar bears are badass and cute at the same time. 

Should get them some points somewhere.

I am completely serious.
SwimPWNED
BackupAlt

Reply to Nile - Message ID#: 63342795

Musket is a filthy chaosofist who enjoys having sex without the condom.
SwimPWNED
BackupAlt

Reply to lunarnoodle - Message ID#: 63342905

SwimLegend
MusketBoned

Reply to Nile - Message ID#: 63342795

Nile wrote:

Nature will correct everything... over time scales of hundreds of thousands to millions of years.

We need to protect ecosystems and animals because we should never even get close to the point where we've destroyed so much it starts to kill us. I don't even understand how you can consider that to be a reasonable plan. "Let's just wantonly kill anything and everything. It'll eventually kill us too, but who cares? Not gonna hurt me"

I never said it wasn't going to hurt me, I just don't care. If I spend my old age hunting squirrels for meat so be it.

Honestly, getting to the point it begins to cause death will probably be the best thing that happens to us as a species.

SwimHotshot
lunarnoodle

Reply to BackupAlt - Message ID#: 63342933

Are you saying that the systematic extermination of polar bears is a GOP plot to further a prolife agenda?

I am completely serious.
Retired SwimBouncer
SwimMod_Deus

Reply to lunarnoodle - Message ID#: 63342905

lunarnoodle wrote:

Also, polar bears are badass and cute at the same time. 

Should get them some points somewhere.

Also, they drink Coke.  Which makes them A-OK in my book!

And then he was eaten by a dinosaur.
SwimPWNED
BackupAlt

Reply to lunarnoodle - Message ID#: 63343115

You can't spell prolific without prolife.
SwimHELPeR
4-HBabe

MusketBoned wrote:
And in my mind nature will be able to correct itself. 

Nature can't correct extinction.

That's why we have things like endangered species lists. To prevent something that there is no coming back from. Even if you and the majority of people don't really care.

"It doesn't matter how black you think you are." - SwimMod_Bast smack down of the week

also, boobs, lesbians, undergarments

SwimPWNED
BackupAlt

Reply to 4-HBabe - Message ID#: 63343381

What?

That is the most retarded thing I have ever heard.

I have lists of ASMB users I would pork (fun fact: you're not on them).

That doesn't make them any more likely to sleep with me.

In the same way having a list of animals that have small populations does absolutely nothing to prevent their extinction.
SwimLegend
MusketBoned

Reply to 4-HBabe - Message ID#: 63343381

SwimPWNED
BackupAlt

Reply to MusketBoned - Message ID#: 63343427

MusketBoned wrote:
"Over 98% of documented species are now extinct."

Facts up in this b*tch.

SwimLegend
Nile

[ Edited ]

Reply to MusketBoned - Message ID#: 63343427

And what's your point? Because a bunch of animals are extinct we shouldn't care if we cause a few more?

Keep it Brutal
SwimLegend
MusketBoned

Reply to Nile - Message ID#: 63343513

We shouldn't pretend we have any control over it. Poachers still get away with what they're doing. These lists don't do us a ton of good. I'd really prefer that we get f*cked over and have to deal with our behaviors rather than slapping band-aids on them.

SwimPWNED
BackupAlt

Reply to MusketBoned - Message ID#: 63343573

Right?

This sh*t is stupid.

I keep seeing this dumba** commerical on Comedy Central for World Wildlife Fund.

Asking for donations so you can "symbolically" adopt a Bengal tiger or some other line of bullsh*t.
SwimLegend
MusketBoned

Reply to BackupAlt - Message ID#: 63343601

I made a law in America that regulates behavior in Africa.

SwimHotshot
lunarnoodle

[ Edited ]

Reply to BackupAlt - Message ID#: 63343423

BackupAlt wrote:
In the same way having a list of animals that have small populations does absolutely nothing to prevent their extinction.

Sure it does.

Wolves are a great example. They populated every area of the continent until they were hunted and nearly completely removed, with only a few hundred individuals left. 

They were declared a protected species which ended large scale hunting and culling, and in conjunction efforts were made to repopulate areas where they had previously flourished, but no longer existed.

Now they are gaining a foothold again and numbers have improved to the point that they have been removed from endangered lists.

And while being protected surely does not magically prevent any individual from being killed by a human ever, it certainly deters all but abberant slayings giving the critters a chance at least.

And yeah, Musket.. 98% of all documented species are now extinct. The 2% left is a very big number. And a lot of species become extinct regardless of human encroachment and in spite of efforts to avoid it. But in cases where ppl directly cause the elimination of species it makes sense that ppl check themselves and ... not do that anymore. 

General data about ELEs throughout known history doesn't really flow with the logic of "if you make a mess, clean it up".

I am completely serious.
SwimLegend
MusketBoned

Reply to lunarnoodle - Message ID#: 63343629

I would prefer to see the people wriggidy-wreck themselves.

Retired SwimBouncer
SwimMod_Deus

Reply to lunarnoodle - Message ID#: 63343629

I knew you were gonna bring up the wolves. :smileywink:  You can apply the same example to the American Alligator, and the Buffalo too.

And then he was eaten by a dinosaur.