KittehNerd
evlord1

Re: Bebop Easter Eggs...sort of

[ Edited ]

Reply to GinaSzanboti - Message ID#: 5997689

i'm not sure what the "dx" means in dxe5 (i've never seen a piece referred to as that), e5 is the position . Nf5+ that means that the knight in on f5 and he's checking the king.

two plus signs would mean check mate

Message Edited by evlord1 on 08-08-2004 12:51 AM

Let There Be Light!
in our brains.....
KittehNerd
evlord1

Reply to ApathyInc - Message ID#: 5997921

yes this is off subject but i must know....were you talking about me in the thread about "advanced search" saying i was a serial spammer??
Let There Be Light!
in our brains.....
KittehStar
ApathyInc

Reply to evlord1 - Message ID#: 5998837

no, that was inuyashafan555.  no worries!  :smileyvery-happy:
When one door closes, another opens; but we often look so long and so regretfully upon the closed door that we do not see the one which has opened for us.

- Alexander Graham Bell -
KittehNerd
evlord1

Reply to evlord1 - Message ID#: 5998837

oh ok. i was about to say i always try not to spam ........except that's what i'm doing right now..........[slaps hand]
Let There Be Light!
in our brains.....
KittehStar
ApathyInc

Reply to evlord1 - Message ID#: 5999058

no--this guy just pops in a thread every once in a while and says crap like "I dislike it."  or "I don't agree."  very weird.  but I gotta admit, I'm starting to get used to him.
When one door closes, another opens; but we often look so long and so regretfully upon the closed door that we do not see the one which has opened for us.

KittehLegend
GinaSzanboti

Reply to ApathyInc - Message ID#: 5999127

ApathyInc wrote:
no--this guy just pops in a thread every once in a while and says crap like "I dislike it."  or "I don't agree."  very weird.  but I gotta admit, I'm starting to get used to him.

Hey, he said he liked this thread! He can stay. :smileywink: As long as he behaves...

As far as the chess moves, they looked really odd to me. I assumed x meant a piece captured, but a lot of the other letters don't seem to relate to the pieces. ::scratching head::

Madness is not a place one goes, it’s a spider waiting to feel the tremble of the web. -- GuiltyRed
We're all mad here. - The Cheshire Cat
KittehStar
ApathyInc

Reply to GinaSzanboti - Message ID#: 6000309

like I said, I'm getting used to him.  and if he likes this thread, we know he has good taste!

Kittehportant

GinaSzanboti wrote:

civilinufan wrote:
Excuse me, but I am an avid chess player, and I was wondering if you could write out the moves you see in "Bohemian Rhapsody" and I will tell you if I recognize the games or if they have any special significance. Thanks.

You never did say whether you were serious about this. :smileyhappy:

I can tell you this now: they don't seem to be playing any sort of genuine, sensible game. For starters, several white (Ed) pieces are already in play when we're shown her first move! Although we can't see the whole board, it appears that she's already lost a knight, the Queen and a pawn, not to mention her King! But when we see the board come up for Hex, all the white pieces are there in starting position, except for 2 pawns in play. Later on, all Ed seems to have left is both knights, a bishop, a castle, all 8 pawns, her King...and 2 Queens. A few mintues later, and Hex is the one with the handful of pieces left. Anyway, not a real game.

The move list we're shown is from the last game played, 71 hours and 28 minutes earlier, between Hex and...Deep Blue, IBM's chess-playing computer. :smileyhappy: If notations like "dxe5" and "Nf5+" mean anything to you, I'll post the list. If that's gibberish, I won't bother. :smileyhappy:

Another possibility for Benito - Benito Cereno was the title character and captain of the ship San Dominick in Herman Melville's novel.

These notations speak volumes to me. Please continue.
Inuyasha rocks, and all his fans (er, well, some of them) should live!!!!!
My theme alt was banned for "threatening to kill people and using a very poor German accent" I'm the one - man Troll Patrol
KittehStar
ApathyInc

Reply to civilinufan - Message ID#: 6000852

and then you'll translate a little for us, right?

Kittehportant

Reply to ApathyInc - Message ID#: 6000945

Well, if you can't understand the notation, there is no real way to represent it without actually showing you a board and playing the moves out on it.

dxe5 means that the pawn on the d - file(d) takes(x) the piece or pawn on e5.

Nf5+ means that a knight(N - K is used for King) moves to f5, giving check(+) to the enemy king.
My theme alt was banned for "threatening to kill people and using a very poor German accent" I'm the one - man Troll Patrol
Grumpy Cat
scoobdog

Reply to GinaSzanboti - Message ID#: 6000309

Okay, this isn't a real good Easter Egg, since it is so obvious, but I thought I'd try anyway:

Everyone proably noticed that Andy ("Cowboy Funk") compared himself to Wyatt Earp, fully intending to associate himself with one of the most notorious "law men" in the Wild West. At the same time, we all probably know that Wyatt Earp, besides being a morally ambigous character, didn't end up in "boot hill" like so many other legends. He died in the 1920's in Los Angeles; apparently, he had made a career for himself in the burgeoning film industry.

I guess I consider it an "easter egg" because it doesn't really say anything particularly new about Andy. We all know that he's basically "playing the role" of bounty hunter. At the same time, in combination with the fact that the Teddy Bomber has bought into Andy's reputation, it also seems to be a jab at the BeBopers: the reference seems to be the writers playful way of saying anyone can promote themselves into being a famous bounty hunter.

Well, I tried. I still think I'm way out of my league in here.
KittehLegend

Reply to scoobdog - Message ID#: 6001891

That isn't a bad observation, maybe not as deep as some of the others-but who cares?

Another thing about Wyatt Earp-didn't he start his career as a criminal just like Spike?

I just like to say I think this is a good thread.  The boards have been getting a bit boring lately and need more of these types of threads.

Kittehportant

Reply to MED401 - Message ID#: 6002319

Not to be impatient or anything, but I'm still waiting on those chess moves....
KittehLegend
GinaSzanboti

[ Edited ]

Reply to civilinufan - Message ID#: 6003662

civilinufan wrote:
Not to be impatient or anything, but I'm still waiting on those chess moves....

Sit boy. :smileywink: I needed to go watch AS for awhile. Here ya go.

These are the only moves available for the game between Ed and Hex, and I'm not sure which column is whose (since the boards don't respect more than single spaces without html I don't know, I'm using underline to align the columns):

18__gxf3__Qd4+
19__Kg2___Qf2+
20__Kh3___Qxf3+
21__Kh4___Nh6
22__Qg1___Nf5+
23__Kg5___Qh5#

This is the complete game between Deep Blue and Hex.

___CHMX___DB
1___e4_____d5
2___exd5___Qxd5
3___NC3____QA5
4___d4_____e5
5___dxe5___Qxe5+
6___Be2____Bb4
7___Nf3____BxC3+
8___bxc3___Qxc3+
9___Bd2____QC5
10__Rb1____Nc6
11__0-0____Nf6
12__Bf4____0-0
13__Bxc7___Nd4
14__Qxd4___Oxc7
15__Bd3____Bg4
16__Ng5____Rfd8
17__Qb4____Bc8
18__Rfe7___a5
19__Oe7____Oxe7
20__Rxe7___Nd5
21__Bxh7+__Kh8
22__Rxf7___Nc3
23__Re1____Nxa2
24__Rf4____Ra6
25__Bd3____1-0

Hope it means something to you. :smileyhappy:

Edit: well it was aligned in the text box. :/

Message Edited by GinaSzanboti on 08-08-2004 02:52 AM

[update:  there is more amazing information about these games here]

Madness is not a place one goes, it’s a spider waiting to feel the tremble of the web. -- GuiltyRed
KittehNerd

Reply to GinaSzanboti - Message ID#: 6004781

all right. these are "the eggs" i found a while ago, and posted on the faq thread. i think they belong in here now that gina has started this wonderful thread, so i'd like to resurrect them.

1) truckers in "heavy metal queen":
in heavy metal queen, there are different truckers who contact v.t. when she asks for info on decker's whereabouts. she says "breaker one-nine, breaker one-nine," when she calls out to other truckers. the line is from an american trucker film "convoy," and the names of the other truckers in the episode (sneaky snake, spider mike, etc.) also come from the same movie.

http://us.imdb.com/title/tt0077369/fullcredits

2) the "tongpu" song:
i know that scoobdog has already mentioned this (i did a little search on the board), but there is a song called "mad pierrot" by a japanese technopop group called "yellow magic orchestra" (aka ymo), led by critically acclaimed composer ryuuichi sakamoto.

i was googling the other day (for something that has absolutely nothing to do w/ bebop), and found out that ymo's self-titled first album included not only a song named "mad pierrot" but also one called "tong poo." (tongpu is the codename for mad pierrot in bebop) apparently, these songs are famous in japan (the album came out in the late 70s, so ymo was like a father-figure of all things techno, along w/ kraftwerk...well, i guess ymo was inspired by kraftwerk in the first place), but i'm not really into techno, so i didn't know about these songs until now. anyway, that's probably why yoko kanno used techno-ish music (pink floyd remix) in that episode.
KittehLegend
GinaSzanboti

Reply to VLN - Message ID#: 6005182

VLN wrote:
the names of the other truckers in the episode (sneaky snake, spider mike, etc.) also come from the same movie.

Also, Spider Mike calls himself "The Black Panther of Jupiter," and his cargo ship has Chicago 7 blazoned across the sides ("since 1941"). While the Chicago 7 trial wasn't about the Black Panthers, their Chairman at the time, Bobby Seale, was one of the original defendants (when it was the Chicago 8).

Awesome Kitteh
Destiny_needs_CB

Reply to ApathyInc - Message ID#: 5999127

ApathyInc wrote:

He shows up in babbling threads too.  I think he's just a hater.
I can't control my destiny. I trust my soul. My only goal is just to be. -- "Another Day" Rent. AIM--lovelydaisydes YahooID-- destiny_angel_01
Kittehportant

Reply to GinaSzanboti - Message ID#: 6004781

I think you meant to write Rfe1 instead of Rfe7, because the game doesn't make sense unless the former move is used. Anyway, not counting that error, it is a coherent game, though it is hardly master - level, as both sides made many amatuerish mistakes.
KittehLegend
GinaSzanboti

Reply to GinaSzanboti - Message ID#: 6005566

In Gateway Shuffle, the episode about ecoterrorists bioengineering a virus, there are several places where computer screens (especially the wall screens the government uses) list a bunch of microbiological names. Now, doesn't "Chaperonin 60" sound like something they just made up? "Chroococcales" looks like somebody was drumming their fingers on the keyboard to come up with that one. However, all of them but Chaperonin (a protein) are real names of real bacteria or bacterial taxonomy:

Chaperonin 60: one of class of heat shock proteins known as [duh] chaperonins.
Cyanobacteria: the oldest organisms capable of oxygenic photosynthesis
Chroococcales: Order of unicellular blue-green algae
Synechocystis sp. :unicellular, photoautotrophic, facultative glucose-heterotrophic bacteria.
Synechocystis sp. PCC 6803: the strain was recognized to be spontaneously transformable, to integrate foreign DNA into its genome by homologous recombination (allowing targeted gene replacement), and to be able to survive and grow in a wide range of conditions. Also the first photosynthetic organism for which the entire genome sequence was determined.
Halobacterium: high-saltwater bacteria
Methanococcus: genus of the first genome of an archaeon to be completely sequenced (methanococcus jannaschii).
Methobacteria: Class of methane-producing bacteria, like methanococcus jannaschii.
Sulfolobus: Genus of bacteria found in volcanic hot springs.
Eubacteria: one of the three Kingdoms in taxonomic classification (and you thought it was just plant and animal kingdoms! Ok, I did). Also just called Bacteria. The other two are Archaea and Eukarya (which includes us).

I guess what really blows me away about this is that somebody really did their homework. These aren't just random bacterial names thrown up in a background to look scientific. Almost all of them have some significance to genome studies and recombinant DNA research - exactly the sort of things Twinkle would have needed to engineer her Monkey Business virus.

I didn't go so far as to check whether the genome sequences that flash by belong to any of the above (there are limits to even my insanity), but it wouldn't suprise me to learn they got it right. I'm just flabbergasted that somebody did this sort of research for something that will never be noticed by more than a handful of people - crazy people at that! :smileyhappy: Oh wait... I just did the same thing, huh. :smileyindifferent:

KittehStar
ApathyInc

Reply to GinaSzanboti - Message ID#: 6028680

wow--I can't believe they went through all that trouble!  I don't understand half of it, but that is too cool.  nice work, Gina!

Kittehportant

Reply to GinaSzanboti - Message ID#: 6028680

The scary thing is, I actually understood that
Kittehpotent
Parasaurolophus

GinaSzanboti wrote:

Another possibility for Benito - Benito Cereno was the title character and captain of the ship San Dominick in Herman Melville's novel.

D'oh- you beat me to it!  But its pretty hard to find a summary of Melville's work online, so I didn't know who Benito actually was.  Pairing off the two navigaors makes sense.
Cast in the name of God, ye not guilty. Disclaimer: I make little attempt to spell characters' names right. I don't know Japanese Phonetics! :smileyhappy:
Kittehpotent
R.I.P.digifried

Reply to Parasaurolophus - Message ID#: 6034246

What a great, refreshing thread. I'm really enjoying it. I've read all the ones on the RF Blues site before, and a good Bebop thread is always something I'm up for. Perhaps I might try and contribute.
Julia: I was supposed to kill you. That day if I had killed you I would have been free.
Spike: So why didn't you? You chose to be hunted. Why?
Julia: Why did you love me?

"And heaven's not enough
if when I'm there I don't remember you"
Awesome Kitteh
Destiny_needs_CB

[ Edited ]

Reply to R.I.P.digifried - Message ID#: 6054225

Ok, here's my pathetic attempt at trying to contribute to this thread...

In HLW, when Faye and Ed return to the ship and Jet is yelling at them for changing course, Spike is reading a book.   It's called Walking on the Moon.  Any thoughts as to why he was reading that book in particular?  I couldn't come up with anything, especially since the moon is pretty much destroyed in the series.  Unless it's a different moon.  I'm going to see if it's a real book.

Edit: Punctuation

Message Edited by Destiny_needs_CB on 08-09-2004 04:19 PM

I can't control my destiny. I trust my soul. My only goal is just to be. -- "Another Day" Rent. AIM--lovelydaisydes YahooID-- destiny_angel_01
KittehLegend
GinaSzanboti

Reply to R.I.P.digifried - Message ID#: 6054225

Digifried, thanks for saying so! And please do report anything you find. :smileyhappy:

Destiny, good luck on that question. It's been something I've wondered about for a long time. I know it's a song by Sting (or The Police, can't remember which now), and Bebop's obviously musically oriented, but it's a curious book title to drop in there. And why there?