Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
SwimPunk
ToonGoon12

Death Note Movie 2014?!

Okay guys so I was surfing IMDB and I saw a movie called Death Note. No, it wasn't that japanese movie "The Last Name" all it said was Death Note. I was fairly suprised and looked into it. All I know is that Johnny Depp is playing L and Ryuk (Ryuk most likely being CGI) and I believe is supposed to be an english "remake" of Death Note: The Last Name. I want to know what you guys believe about this and any other info about this movie would be fantastic! Thank you.. 

"I'm ugly and I'm proud.."
"Louder.."
"I'm ugly and I'm proud!"
"Louder!"
"I'M UGLY AND I'M PROUD! I'M UGLY AND I'M PROUD!"

"Do you know L? Shinigami love apples!"

"I'l take a potato chip, and eat it!"

"Peek-a-boo!"

"Do you want me to kill you? (get's out pole) I can kill you pretty easily with this!"
SwimHipster
SpikesMrsSpooky

Re: Death Note Movie 2014?!

Reply to ToonGoon12 - Message ID#: 64489513

Yeah, I heard there was going to be an American adaptation of Death Note.  Didn't see where there was a release date though, I wonder if it's at least in preproduction then.

I tend to not bother with American adaptations, but that's just me.  I'm kind of indifferent to the whole thing.

"We flipped a coin! The coin flip is sacred!"

"MATSUDA!!" Just about everybody - Death Note
Bebop spoilers here: MrsSpooky's Cowboy Bebop Blog
My Anime List

TIGER & BUNNY over and out!

SwimStar
Meilag32

[ Edited ]

Reply to ToonGoon12 - Message ID#: 64489513

I call bullshit.  The American movie has been in production hell for the last 3-4 years.  This rumor came out back in late January, but it had almost no information besides a 2014 release, Zac Efron playing Light and Depp playing L.  And to be fair, those actors have been rumored to be playing those parts since the whole movie debacle started.  Not to mention the fact that they are all way too old.  Efron is in his late 20s now and he's supposed to play a 17 year old?  And how old is Depp?  50?  And he's supposed to play L? 

Which such little to go on, I call bullshit.  It's been 2.5 months without a hint of any more info.  And if it was true, we'd have conformation from either Warner Bros. or from Efron and Depp themselves.  And since there isn't except on a few scarce website rumors, it's gotta be typical Internet lies.

"Battle not with monsters, lest ye become a monster, and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you."
SwimStar
Meilag32

Reply to Meilag32 - Message ID#: 64489857

Actually, now I know it's bullshit.

You may think, "it's just on hold", but it's been that way for years.  At the very least, we'd have to wait until after Iron Man 3.  So 2014 isn't happening.  Maybe 2016.  I even doubt the Bleach movie will get made. 

"Battle not with monsters, lest ye become a monster, and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you."
SwimHipster
SpikesMrsSpooky

Reply to Meilag32 - Message ID#: 64489975

Or the Cowboy Bebop movie.

American live action adaptations of anime don't tend to do that well anyway, so I can't believe any studio would be willing to shell out the bucks to make them.

I only discovered Death Note last year, so I have no idea how long these rumors have been going around.   Frankly, I'm not that interested so I haven't been paying that much attention.

And yeah, the actors that they talk about playing these major - YOUNG - characters are all way too old anyway.

My Anime List

SwimStar
Meilag32

Reply to SpikesMrsSpooky - Message ID#: 64490639

Yeah, I agree it would stink something fierce.  There's no way a 90 minute movie would be able to tell the tale.  Especially since American movies seem to need car chases, explosions, and heaving breasts. 

SwimStar
InuFan05

[ Edited ]

Reply to Meilag32 - Message ID#: 64489857

I actually saw an interview with Zac that dates to about 3-4 years ago talking wherein he discussed the possibility of playing Light. He said that he's a "Death Note" fan and would love to be involved, but added that such a project is on the backburner, which is basically Hollywood talk for "never gonna happen." Back then, he was like 19-20, so he would've been able to pass off as a high school senior/ college freshman, but now... yeah, not so much.. It'll be like "Glee," with a 30 year old man playing a 17-18 year old high school kid.

I'll always be by your side.           You can always count on me.

"My meeting you was no coincidence. It's more than that..."
SwimStar
InuFan05

Reply to Meilag32 - Message ID#: 64489975

The last development I heard of "Bleach" was that to allay any doubts on the part of fans, they would set the film in Japan to maintain credibility. No other word.

It'll be more like "Akira" which officially died, but they've tried to keep alive with pathetic rumors... (An adaptation with Kristen Stewart? Hell no!)

SwimStar
InuFan05

Reply to SpikesMrsSpooky - Message ID#: 64490639

Not to sound extreme, but I'd boycott any of these movies, as much of a fan as I am... It would be a major disservice and disrespect to such amazing franchises...

SwimStar
Meilag32

Reply to InuFan05 - Message ID#: 64519605

InuFan05 wrote:
Not to sound extreme, but I'd boycott any of these movies, as much of a fan as I am... It would be a major disservice and disrespect to such amazing franchises...

*nods head*  Let us all remember Dragonball.  It would be the exact same horribleness. 

SwimStar
InuFan05

Reply to Meilag32 - Message ID#: 64520945

Meilag32 wrote:

InuFan05 wrote:

*nods head*  Let us all remember Dragonball.  It would be the exact same horribleness. 

Thank you! That just about sums it up well. The only thing I can say is that I'm glad that I missed that sorry excuse of an amateur otaku wannabe film. It would've ruined the quality and integrity of the series for me.  

SwimStar
Meilag32

Reply to InuFan05 - Message ID#: 64522143

InuFan05 wrote:

Meilag32 wrote:

InuFan05 wrote:

Thank you! That just about sums it up well. The only thing I can say is that I'm glad that I missed that sorry excuse of an amateur otaku wannabe film. It would've ruined the quality and integrity of the series for me.  

I saw it.  Every scene is sort of like an affront to the series.  Not to mention that the villain is Piccolo.

SwimStar
InuFan05

Reply to Meilag32 - Message ID#: 64528447

Meilag32 wrote:

InuFan05 wrote:

Meilag32 wrote:

InuFan05 wrote:

I saw it.  Every scene is sort of like an affront to the series.  Not to mention that the villain is Piccolo.

What the hell?!? Are you serious? @_@

SwimStar
Meilag32

Reply to InuFan05 - Message ID#: 64528647

Yes I am.  That's why I don't think the creators knew what the Hell they were doing.  Why would they take a fan favorite, decimate his character, and make him a villain?  Heaven forbid they take one of the existing villains we love to hate and use them.  Hell, I would have settled for Vegeta (who wasn't even in the film).  But then most characters weren't.

SwimStar
InuFan05

Reply to Meilag32 - Message ID#: 64529205

WTF?!? I am seriously disturbed now... This sounds like a beyond awful fanfiction that a middle schooler with zero analytical, comprehension, and writing abilities would produce.

SwimStar
Meilag32

Reply to InuFan05 - Message ID#: 64529251

You should watch it.  But go into it with the attitude of really wanting to blast this movie for being so bad.  I could see it being sort of fun if a bunch of friends/DB fans watched it together and took joy from ripping it apart.  Plus, it serves as an example for what happens when Hollywood gets their hands on the things we cherish. 

SwimStar
InuFan05

Reply to Meilag32 - Message ID#: 64529335

That would actually be a fun thing to do with anime club, no joke. :smileyvery-happy: And that's so true. But then again, when we have crap like "Twilight"- another disaster I'm glad I've never seen but am still traumatized to have just heard of- it also testifies to the low standard that Hollywood holds for its products...

SwimNerd
Achi

Reply to Meilag32 - Message ID#: 64529205

Oh, that's because the movie was supposed to be a live adaptation of Dragonball, not DBZ and, if I'm not mistaken, Piccolo was a villian, maybe the main villain of the original Dragonball.

Not to give any credit to that awful excuse of a movie, just clarifying.
SwimStar
Meilag32

Reply to Achi - Message ID#: 64839260

Ok, then where is anything resembling the original DB besides a few character names?

SwimNerd
Achi

Reply to Meilag32 - Message ID#: 64839604

...The fact that the story has Piccolo as the main villain.

Not to mention that the movie is about collecting Dragonballs and Goku is not an adult with a son. In the original DB, Goku was a child and his son Gohan didn't enter until DBZ.

And you could just like look at the Wikipedia article or something if you really don't think Dragonball Evolution was a live action of the original DB.
SwimStar
Meilag32

Reply to Achi - Message ID#: 64839698

Piccolo really wasn't the "main" villain of DB.  He was just the last one in a long series of villains that Goku fought.  Before fighting another series of villains in DBZ, and yet another series of villains in GT.  Every one was the greatest threat ever encountered, until the next greatest threat ever encountered.  So on and so forth.  And we don't even know if that Piccolo in the movie was based off of the Piccolo we know and love or King Piccolo. 

I was being sarcastic.  Of course, there's some similarities.  But not many and they altered them to suit their own version of DB, rather than follow the successful story.  It's not really a live-action version of DB.  They used some of the characters and one or two story elements and crafted an original story.  If it was a true-to-form version of DB, they'd mostly the story set in the anime or manga.  Just like how the Death Note movies (Excluding L: Save the WorLd) basically follow the first story arc of the series.  There are minor changes, obviously, but you can tell they stayed faithful to the original for the most part.  The same cannot be said of Dragonball Evolution.

SwimNerd
Achi

Reply to Meilag32 - Message ID#: 64843020

I'm pretty sure it was King Piccolo. In the IMDB article on him, it says one of his names is Piccolo Daimao, which was one of the names for King Piccolo from the original. Yeah, reading the wikipedia article on Dragonball, I realize Piccolo wasn't the main villain, but it still shows that they were at least going off of the original DB, not DBZ or DBZ's Piccolo. Mayhaps they would have made a DBZ version if this movie did well... which just of course lol.

Oh, I understand. They definitely did not follow through on the original DB's story well but they captured the basic concept of it rather than DBZ's concept. DB was more focused on capturing Dragonballs as weapons against villains whereas DBZ very very quickly lost that aspect to it. Like after the Frieza saga weren't the balls "inert" or something? The first two DN movies were a lot more faithful of course, but regardless, DB: Evolution was probably not trying to be faithful or anything to its series which is only part of why it ####. I mean they could have either remained faithful or drafted an actually good story from the concepts (neither of which they did). Regardless, based on what we know, they at least took the characters in context (as much as they were horribly acted and poorly scriped) including King Piccolo, not the Piccolo ("Piccolo Junior" apparently?) from DBZ.

SwimHipster
SpikesMrsSpooky

Reply to Achi - Message ID#: 64846226

Achi wrote:

I'm pretty sure it was King Piccolo. In the IMDB article on him, it says one of his names is Piccolo Daimao, which was one of the names for King Piccolo from the original. Yeah, reading the wikipedia article on Dragonball, I realize Piccolo wasn't the main villain, but it still shows that they were at least going off of the original DB, not DBZ or DBZ's Piccolo. Mayhaps they would have made a DBZ version if this movie did well... which just of course lol.

Sorry to interrupt, but I'm hoping that this information you found on wikipedia can be verified elsewhere.  There are some fan pages that I watch and I see people putting incorrect stuff in there all the time (sometimes deliberately, sometimes they are just mistaken).  Not sure that's the best source material to be using - it's a great START, but keep the grain of salt handy.

That is all.  Please continue, this is an interesting discussion. :smileyhappy:

My Anime List

SwimStar
Meilag32

Reply to Achi - Message ID#: 64846226

Yeah, Spooky has a point.  Wikis can't be fully trusted.  With every little effort I found a wikia page that says that the Piccolo in the movie is more of an amalgamation of both Piccolos.  Which is right?   We'll never know since I doubt the film creators put that much thought into it.  Oh, and the DBZ Piccolo also appeared in DB.  He was the last villain faced in the series, the culmination of the Piccolo Jr. Saga.  I think that the movie was based off of the Dragonball franchise as a whole, instead of just one series.  Which makes sense because a company doesn't buy the rights to one part of a franchise.  They get the license for the entire thing.  Which means they could have taken any ideas/concepts from any of the three series.  Probably why, at the end of Evolution, Goku becomes a super...something.  Not a Super Saiyan, but the same idea was used. 

Actually, in DBZ the Dragonballs became inert after the Saiyan Saga until they resurrected Piccolo.  It's this whole song and dance I don't want to get into.  Yeah, I agree that the movie people didn't try and be faithful to any one part of the series in particular.  Don't know why.  Well, I do know why.  They were trying to appeal to people that weren't fans of the series.  Of course that failed and in doing so alienated the only other audience they had (the fans of the original series).  They should have realized from the start that the movie would not be a major blockbuster hit and that they should cater to the fans they already had.  Alas, Hollywood thinks that they can take a franchise, completely change it, and expect to retain the audience that made the franchise a hit in the first place. 

SwimStar
Meilag32

Reply to SpikesMrsSpooky - Message ID#: 64847712

SpikesMrsSpooky wrote:

That is all.  Please continue, this is an interesting discussion. :smileyhappy:

You could contribute too, you know.  Just because this is the Death Note folder doesn't mean we have to talk exclusively about Death Note.