SwimSuperfan

This was the big fanservice showing? (spoilers?)

I'm a sucker for peer pressure. If it wasn't for the PSA's of the 90's, you couldn't convince me crack was whack for nothin'. And yet, I constantly find myself getting disappointed. See, when I decide something isn't worth looking into, people usually come by and say "Awwwww, but you never gave it a CHANCE go watch it I swear you'll enjoy it." After a lot of push and pull, I end up caving, just so that I can say I watched it.

This was my situation with Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood. But not just FMA Brotherhood, Winry Rockbell. See, I wasn't into FMA. And then people come to me going, "But you should be, Winry's way hot in it." And I'm like, "Chah, I doubt it..." and they're like "Episode 44, bro, nothing else like it on TV!" And after the grips of mortal Kombat I finally say "Alright! But I'm taking your thumbs if I don't crap myself from the hotness."

I wait 43 long episodes. I see screenshots of this particular episode, and I'm all, "This doesn't look that hot at all!" But I press on. I don't want to be "defeatist", like Al calls it. I ready my popcorn. And not 6-7 minutes in, JUBILATION!!!

Right? Jubilation? No, not so much. Because the scene itself was sorely lacking. And now I'm sad, because I trusted the subjective word of someone who was already a fan. But I guess I can't be mad or blame them, they're fans. They like Winry. But from an objective standpoint, you have to realize that fanservice isn't something that can just be taught. It requires a specific perspective. That's why yaoi is written by women, and... whatever is for men, is written by men.

In order to make something right, you have to have an interest in it yourself. Arakawa's got creative lore, frenetic combat scenes, plot tension, inspiring heroes, and stunning scenery design down to a science. But T&A? It pains me to say this, but I was briefed on the possibility that Hiromu Arakawa is a heterosexual female. There's a reason most fanservice targeted towards heterosexual men is assumed to be and in actuality is, crafted by heterosexual men. Perspective. I never should have forgotten that.

SwimHELPeR
mgangel1124

Re: This was the big fanservice showing? (spoilers

Reply to Kaljinyu - Message ID#: 59886168

FMA isn't really a fanservice series in general. Bathtime Winry and Shower Riza are considered fanservice in this series compared to what's normally seen. On the same token, there's really not a lot of women-directed fanservice in the show either; Roy's had one shirtless scene and I believe that Ed himself has only been shirtless once or twice. I'd say the only people really getting lots of fanservice are those who are attracted to Major Armstrong.

But yeah, your friend who told you "Dude, there's nothing else like it on TV!" sounds like an idiot.
Too bad that goon didn't know I've got like a million perfect ways of dealing with hostage situations.
You ever try just throwing something at a guy with a hostage?
Of course not, who the hell does that?
But that is exactly why it works every time.
So yeah, before he even knew what was happening, there was ten pounds of gun flying right into his face.
SwimStar
Swiftblade--

[ Edited ]

Kaljinyu wrote:

In order to make something right, you have to have an interest in it yourself. Arakawa's got creative lore, frenetic combat scenes, plot tension, inspiring heroes, and stunning scenery design down to a science. But T&A? It pains me to say this, but I was briefed on the possibility that Hiromu Arakawa is a heterosexual female. There's a reason most fanservice targeted towards heterosexual men is assumed to be and in actuality is, crafted by heterosexual men. Perspective. I never should have forgotten that.

You should read Bakuman. You'll see that most times than not, female mangaka are forced to add fanservice by their editors. It's written by a mangaka from a mangaka's viewpoint, so the information has credibility.

Also, I think it's safe to say that Arakawa is bisexual, or at the very least, bicurious.
"Men should be buff and women should be vavoom!" -Hiromu Arakawa

SwimSuperfan
hawkflame

Kaljinyu wrote:

1) You have to have something called perspective.  For a series like FMA, what you saw in tonight's episode -is- fanservice.

2) There are exceptions to the "fanservice for guys created by men" rule.  One is Ranma 1/2, which has a lot of female nudity, especially early on.  Another is Strawberry 100%, which really should be titled Cheesecake 100%.  Both created by women.

"Humankind cannot gain anything without first giving something in return. To obtain, something of equal value must be lost. That is Alchemy's first law of Equivalent Exchange. In those days, we really believed that to be the world's one, and only, truth." -Alphonse Elric, Fullmetal Alchemist (1st series)
SwimSuperfan

Reply to hawkflame - Message ID#: 59887940

hawkflame wrote:

Kaljinyu wrote:

1) You have to have something called perspective.  For a series like FMA, what you saw in tonight's episode -is- fanservice.

2) There are exceptions to the "fanservice for guys created by men" rule.  One is Ranma 1/2, which has a lot of female nudity, especially early on.  Another is Strawberry 100%, which really should be titled Cheesecake 100%.  Both created by women.

I'm aware that some do, and a lot of times at the behest of their authority figures. These are the times where it misses the mark. You can tell the difference between fanservice put in by someone with perspective, and fanservice shoehorned in because someone thought it would "be a nice addition".

I don't like it when people try their hand at things they have no passion for, even if they're forced to. Because the few people who are won over by it will suggest it to me, and I'm like, "Are you serious? They're clearly going through the motions here. You kwazy..."

Particularly with Strawberry 100%, and Ranma 1/2. ESPECIALLY Ranma 1/2. You think I can't spot that Rumiko Takahashi flava from a distance of 20 goats?

SwimSuperfan

Reply to Kaljinyu - Message ID#: 59891546

Speaking of authority figures clashing with the original creator, a good example of this is Bulletstorm. The one main chick was designed by a guy, and she was all hypersexualized. And I was like, "Awwwww yeah..."

But then his boss, who was a chick, re-designed her, and took out all of the hypersexuality and made her regularly sexual. She ruined this aspect of the character designed for men, because she didn't have the same perspective as the men who would be enjoying her.
SwimStar
Shounen_Legend

Eh... I don't really care  so much; fanservice to me is more of a distraction in a story-driven and generally serious anime like FMAB. Want some epic fanservice? Shows like Queen's Blade and Seikon no Qwaser would probably fill your niche.

But really? Your friend hyped episode 44, out of all in the series, just for a bath-scene?

/sigh

SwimStar
Swiftblade--

Reply to Shounen_Legend - Message ID#: 59894150

Shounen_Legend wrote:

But really? Your friend hyped episode 44, out of all in the series, just for a bath-scene?

And you only watched it up to this point for said bath scene?

SwimSuperfan

Reply to Swiftblade-- - Message ID#: 59895742

I can enjoy it for other reasons, but the thing is, I was... misled. It had lots of stuff I did enjoy, but I was promised something else, and I didn't get that something else.

My gripes can be simplified with one question. Why would anyone put anything in the thing they were making, sex or otherwise, unless they liked it, or they were told to do it by someone who liked it? Any other reason is a tricksy and false, shallow and pedantic.

SwimStar
LordJupiter

Reply to Swiftblade-- - Message ID#: 59887218

Swiftblade-- wrote:

Kaljinyu wrote:

You should read Bakuman. You'll see that most times than not, female mangaka are forced to add fanservice by their editors. It's written by a mangaka from a mangaka's viewpoint, so the information has credibility.

Also, I think it's safe to say that Arakawa is bisexual, or at the very least, bicurious.
"Men should be buff and women should be vavoom!" -Hiromu Arakawa

Yeah. Also Armstrong being shirtless and flexing those muscles of his is fanservice Arakawa makes for herself.

SwimLegend
-Ninja_Jesus-

All I see is someone who's pissed because they couldn't see Winry's **QWOP**. :smileytongue: That's what rule 34 is for, bro.
"It's not nice to change the game in mid-play, Spike. You've taken my chair and the music hasn't stopped." - Drusilla
Facebook | Best Of Your Life | My Anime List
Are we having a rational discussion? | My Political Compass | Just Got A Steam
SwimSuperfan

Reply to -Ninja_Jesus- - Message ID#: 59922974

I don't wanna see that, more skin =/= better fanservice. Being part of the target audience = better fanservice. Otherwise, why even add it? It's like that damn Saiyuki. All the bare breasts and violence in the world won't stop that farce from feeling like an overly macho shounen-ai. Might as well call it "seinen-ai".

SwimNerd
DarkDreth

Reply to Kaljinyu - Message ID#: 59929452

I would have to say that I prefer the ep 46 fanservice more... maybe because there is some comedy added in?

anyway if you want a look:

Spoiler

SwimHipster
AleXNYRanger

Reply to DarkDreth - Message ID#: 59932466

i never understood why people need fanservice in animes, and if they want to show sexyness then just let the characters have sex :smileyindifferent:

Swimfamous
Suikotsu

Reply to AleXNYRanger - Message ID#: 59937044

Standards and Practices, yo.
She kicked and wailed, the maid so fair
but he licked the honey from her hair.
Then she sighed and squealed and kicked the air
she sang: My bear so fair!
And off they went, the bear
the bear and the maiden fair!
SwimSuperfan

Reply to DarkDreth - Message ID#: 59932466

I dunno, it looks pretty uninspired, and comedy? Is it supposed to be hot, or a joke? Sometimes what might seem sexual by description isn't specifically for sexual value, like that one anime about the sex hamster? With the whistle? Or a couple scenes in FLCL?
GothicLolitaKitty
cidthekittyisfun

ill give u some fanservice big boooiii :smileywink:

ur so adorable kaji come by and visit us moar pls ily ^_____^

anywhooooooo idk wut this winry fanservice thingy ur talkn about. i prolly didnt notice.

but i could write a tits and ass anime if i wanted to and im a hetero fem. maybe ur friends are wierdos and think a woman showing leg is concidered fanservice or something O_o

████████████████████████████████████████████████████
WWOH Otome VN

CSW | tumblr | twitter | MAL
SwimStar
udsha

People still take Kaljinyu seriously?

SwimSuperfan

Reply to cidthekittyisfun - Message ID#: 59993150

cidthekittyisfun wrote:

ill give u some fanservice big boooiii :smileywink:

ur so adorable kaji come by and visit us moar pls ily ^_____^

anywhooooooo idk wut this winry fanservice thingy ur talkn about. i prolly didnt notice.

but i could write a tits and ass anime if i wanted to and im a hetero fem. maybe ur friends are wierdos and think a woman showing leg is concidered fanservice or something O_o

Ask yourself this. Why would you? Then you will know if you could, or if you'd just going through the motions.

Also, where are you people that I should be visiting?

And I never got less serious, Udsha.

SwimSuperfan

Reply to udsha - Message ID#: 60000456

Also, what's wrong with not liking when various aspects of works are phoned in? Sometimes, most times, hell, maybe even at all times, perspective is needed. Otherwise, why even do it?

GothicLolitaKitty
cidthekittyisfun

Reply to Kaljinyu - Message ID#: 60007478

for the hell of it lol. and id imagine i could make some money offa it ppl like faservice especially  lonley lonley weebos. ka-ching money for cidz yay!

pffttt idk... screw other ppl jus stalk me ^____^ that way we can stalk each other in some sort of wierd stalking cyle >_> <3 (and idk AD? but AD is dead. i think its OA now )