Swimpotent
ilovecolombia

Propaganda Commercials During AS Block...

(Sorry if this is in the wrong section, but I thought this was the best place for the discussion.)

Is anyone else absolutely sick of the stupid propaganda ads that air repetitively during the Adult Swim Block? Stay Above The Influence and TheTruth.com campaigns specifically. They are annoying, they play down to you, and above are use retarded "urban" slang in a attempt to propagandize and reach people. If anything it makes me want to smoke and make other people do it just to spite them. Saying something 100 times will not make me beleive it anymore, and I really doubt it will make anybody else beleive it anymore. In essence It's bull** rabble :robotmad: **.  

SwimSuperfan
MasterPun

Re: Propaganda Commercials During AS Block...

Reply to ilovecolombia - Message ID#: 43732256

All the more reason to realize that [adult swim] really ain't your buddy...
Order of the Owl
SnappleMan

I don't disagree with you, but I don't really see how they're any different from many other commercials in that regard. With that argument, you could just as easily be absolutely sick of Boost Mobile ads or ads for Harold & Kumar Escape from Guantanamo Bay.
"August in Kansas City: It's hotter than two rats in a *bamf* wool sock."
--Ichiro Suzuki
SwimHELPeR
Metatronda

Is there really a difference between commercials that talk down to you to tell you to not smoke cigarettes and commercials that talk down to you to tell you to go see SUPERHERO MOVIE! IN THEATERS NOW!
SwimHELPeR
NumyMufn

Reply to Metatronda - Message ID#: 43733051

You're above the influence, what do you care? They all pay the bills...
SwimStar
SickAndWretched

[ Edited ]

HA! I don't see how anyone could be annoyed by those commercials. The commercials that are played on the Video are a lot more annoying.  

As a general rule, if you don't wanna watch a commercial either mute the TV and look away, or change the channel.

Message Edited by SickAndWretched on 04-26-2008 07:59 AM

Adult Swim 1065 Williams Street Atlanta, GA 30309
..You're my new family now..
SwimHELPeR
holkimcardie1

Smoking is a serious problem.  A lot  of people die from complications from it.  They are trying to save lives and get people to stop smoking.  If you want to be stupid and do slow motion suicide, go for it. 
~ Dethklok Roadie #149 (female) ~ Red Tie Coven # 1 ~ Toki's Candygirl #2 ~ S.H.O.T.T.S. #51 ~ Dethklok Minute Reporter ~
katt_goddess wrote:~~I have not yet begun to weird.~~I still have puff paint left.
SwimStar
billyarnie

Reply to NumyMufn - Message ID#: 43734594

NumyMufn wrote:
Harold & Kumar, for sure... and all teh Skittles, AXE, Scion commercials, etc.  The Truth & AboveTheInfluence could be considered "Public Service" by a non-profit org & [as] can't charge them...
SwimNerd
ash_stewart22

Reply to holkimcardie1 - Message ID#: 43734820

Yeah but whos out there telling you smoking is good (or cool or whatever)? I mean, i there honestly anyone over the age of 6 who doesn't know that smoking is bad.  It's just become one of those things that people want to freak out about 'Oh no, no smoking in bars or anywhere, how dare you want to exercise your right to freedom in the united states and smoke something that you payed for that helps you relax.'

http://www.southparkstudios.com/

Go to full episodes, season 7, episode "Butt Out"

And i know everyone wants to freak out and tell you how secondhand smoke kills and blah blah blah, and I'm not trying to say it's good for you or anything.  I'm just tired of people getting down on the tobacco industry, they aren't forcing people to smoke, NO ONE IS, people smoke because they want to.  Scientists are saying that in the next 50 years brain tumors caused by too much cell phone use are going to kill more people than cigarettes but I don't see any adds telling me not to talk on my cell phone so much. 

Fast food is bad for you too, it causes a ** rabble :robotmad: **load of health problems but everyone wants to freak out about smoking and smokers have to hide in the shadows to do something that's supposed to be legal in this friggin country.  But who gives a fuuuuuudge right, because it might offend some non smoker to half to walk past me and smell my smoke, well I don't like the smell of your stupid propanganda you stupid lying overexaggerating fuuuuuudges. 

"Our example sets a fire to break down the empowerment of

men with unclear minds who never drew the line between what we know's wrong and right"

-Hot Water Music 'Neverender'

SwimHELPeR
holkimcardie1

Reply to ash_stewart22 - Message ID#: 43735158

Actually, yes, the tobacco industry is forcing people to smoke.

Based on now sick most people get when they first smoke, no one would keep smoking.   But the tobacco industry puts additives in cigarettes that gets smokers addicted.  And makes it hard to quit when they do try to do it. 

So, yes, they are forcing people to keep smoking at least.  They make it look cool to start, which drags in the kids, even if they say they are not doing that, and then they got you hooked.
~ Dethklok Roadie #149 (female) ~ Red Tie Coven # 1 ~ Toki's Candygirl #2 ~ S.H.O.T.T.S. #51 ~ Dethklok Minute Reporter ~
katt_goddess wrote:~~I have not yet begun to weird.~~I still have puff paint left.
SwimStar
darcy153

[ Edited ]

well, [as] is a prime holder of the target audience for those truth.com ads, as well as the harold & kumar movie, and baconator ads, so its really no surprise to see them aired and repeatedly if you understand basic media.  that's what the mute button is for.

and seriously-- those ads on [as] Video are SO much more annoying

Message Edited by darcy153 on 04-26-2008 12:20 PM
[S.H.O.T.T.S. #27] [Bootleggs, FTW]

☆okay…. who stopped the payment on my reality check? :smileyvery-happy:

SwimSuperfan
Robotchicken_inSHELL

Reply to NumyMufn - Message ID#: 43734594

NumyMufn wrote:
SwimStar
SickAndWretched

Reply to darcy153 - Message ID#: 43735579

darcy153 wrote:

well, [as] is a prime holder of the target audience for those truth.com ads, as well as the harold & kumar movie, and baconator ads, so its really no surprise to see them aired and repeatedly if you understand basic media.  that's what the mute button is for.

Then how do you explain the My Little Pony Live commercials?

Adult Swim 1065 Williams Street Atlanta, GA 30309
..You're my new family now..
Swimpotent
ilovecolombia

Reply to holkimcardie1 - Message ID#: 43735183

And now i'm sure those propaganda adds are working...Look at the stupidity that is spewing from peoples mouths...

Tobacco companies don't add anything to their cigarettes to make them addicting. Tobacco is a drug and is addictive in its own right. The tobacco comapanies sure add things like chemicals in the processing of the cigarettes to lengthen their livelihood, and sure those things are dangerous, but not any more than the special aditives in food, the major problem is that those additives are being smoked. Anyway thats beyond the point, cigarettes are completely addictive in and of their own right, just like caffeine or alcohol, there is nothing "special" anyone puts in it to make people more addicted. The idea is absurd.  

SwimStar
darcy153

Reply to SickAndWretched - Message ID#: 43735714

SickAndWretched wrote:

darcy153 wrote:

Then how do you explain the My Little Pony Live commercials?
when a commercial airs in a time slot that's not suited for it (usually late at night) its most likely a "make-good" which is when the network screws up airing it when it was supposed to and makes up for it by airing it free of charge in a time slot that wasn't sold
[S.H.O.T.T.S. #27] [Bootleggs, FTW]

☆okay…. who stopped the payment on my reality check? :smileyvery-happy:

SwimStar
vis_ionmas_ter

Most of the people that watch [as] are usually stoned out of their gourd or drunk as fvck, and I think Turner understands that and runs anti drug ads because of it.

As to the TRUTH commercials...theyre everywhere, but they dont make me want to quit smoking...I might giggle the 1st time I see a new one and then go light up a cig :smileytongue:

Everything else is just product placement; companies partnered with Turner broadcasting