Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Reply
SwimHELPeR
Sketchor
Posts: 19,189
Registered: ‎07-11-2003
0

Re: Ratings Report V: Bumps, Nielsen Ratings, etc

Reply to Sketchor - Message ID#: 63777839

I have also recently noticed a few things regarding streaming.

 

The Big O as previously mentioned is on Gold.

 

Ghost in the Shell: The Stand Alone Complex is actually on Netflix and other streaming sites and also has direct downloads thanks to Manga Entertainment so cross that one off the list of shows only available through Adult Swim and it is now off of AS Video including Gold.

 

However Cowboy Bebop is not streaming on AS Video, not even on Gold. It is not on iTunes and I don't believe it's on PSN, Zune or various other direct download services. So the only way to legally watch it, English or Japanese other than buying the DVD's is Saturday nights on Adult Swim. Now I don't know about the rest of ya'll but I sure don't want to lose the only legal access I have to one of the best cartoons around and I'm not exactly made of money so I still don't have that box set.

HELPeR for the TOONAMI, Mobile Suit Gundam, Dragon Ball Z, Harvey Birdman and Perfect Hair Forever boards. Feel free to ask me anything on those topics.

sketch only puts the arrogant whiney punks in their place... sort of like batman, except on the {AS} boards - THECZAROFGNAR

Sketch, should we make sure it's imprinted on your grave stone "He felt very strongly that Bleach belonged on Toonami!" - .hack-SIGN_John

"We aknowledged that Toonami is cooler than us... and they aknowledged that we're full of ****." [adult swim]
Squire
Dark_Lord_Khrima
Posts: 15,923
Registered: ‎04-10-2008
0

Re: Ratings Report V: Bumps, Nielsen Ratings, etc

[ Edited ]

Reply to Sketchor - Message ID#: 63779317

Cowboy Bebop has periodically been streamed on the site, so there's a good chance they'll eventually add it back into the rotation. Of course, that's a moot point if AS loses the rights to the series.

SwimSuperfan
Jeebus201
Posts: 4,053
Registered: ‎11-22-2010
0

Re: Ratings Report V: Bumps, Nielsen Ratings, etc

Reply to rumbatubbies-ok - Message ID#: 63777623

Eww, now I have to delete my YT history.

And I liked the song. Thought it fit the "limited time" theme.
oh, for those obessed about anime promotion - please stop, youre just wrong. we cant even debate it because ive made a decent living by looking at promo schedules and ratings grids probably for longer than youve been alive. i can assure you that if anime promotion was the answer to anime success then youd see more anime promotion. cos then id be making more mad cash and wouldnt have to write things on the internet about anime. -Adult Swim President Mike Lazzo

http://vod.fxnetworks.com/watch/angermanagement - Full episodes of Anger Management. Because Charlie is winning, unlike Casshern Sins.
SwimStar
_hack-SIGN_John
Posts: 5,558
Registered: ‎08-01-2005

Re: Ratings Report V: Bumps, Nielsen Ratings, etc

[ Edited ]

Reply to Sketchor - Message ID#: 63779317

You're right about TOEI. One Piece is their crown jewel & they're pretty #### as producers go. They wouldn't agree to the edits we've discussed for [as]. They'd prefer to target One Piece for Nick Toons. NT has aired some PG rated shows in the past, so they could probably get away with that there. But DBZ GT would really have to fall flat I think for NT to go after it. They still fill a lot of slots with DBZ Kai.

I've had a chance to go through the daily cable ratings & found some surprises. CN PT on all nights usually beats or ties [as] 1st hr of PT. Clone Wars in particular trounces KotH on Fri's. It draws a .40 or better in A18-49, & usually reached 1.7M P2+. That helps explain some of it's strength on the event night. That .40 is as good as Dis is drawing with their programming & the P2+ is within 300-500K of Dis. But there's a significant drop off between Clone Wars & the rest of the action shows. Gen Rex for instance pulls 1/2 those #'s

Routinely almost including CN's movie Sat night, CN PT is beating [as] 1st hr of PT in A18-49, & trouncing it in P2+. The Cleveland Show will help but there are not enough ep of CS to air it daily. I expect a weekly appearance only for at least the first two yrs similar to how [as] aired ADad early on. So this trend doesn't figure to change for [as] any time soon.

ADad does fairly good #'s at 10P M-F, but it's cannibalizing #'s with FGuy on TBS on Mon nights then. That's why it makes the most Turner sense then for [as] to air a movie on that night. With a movie on [as] FGuy #'s on TBS will be stronger, & ADad's #'s at 11PM will probably exceed it's 10PM ones. TBS is Turner's crown jewel so I don't think they have much interest in [as] airing a movie on a night TBS does. So that pretty much rules out Fri, Sat, & Sun for [as] then. CN is more deserving of PT on Fri & Sat anyways. Other than Mon, Thu looks like a good night as well. CN PT fails to reach even a 0.2 A18-49 then so they are less deserving of it then. ADad 10P is weaker as well. Some of that is Archer, but it could also be both the NBA & college bball. That would still leave CN with PT on 5 nights a week.

Jeeb is blowing smoke over IY:FA as well. [as] currently holds the rights to the bulk of IY so there is no reason to add IY:FA until that contract comes up for renewal. That's how they get a better deal over entering a separate one just for IY:FA. There is competition for the dubbed IY:FA from Hulu & other net companies so it makes sense for [as] to leverage their existing relationship with Viz to get the best deal they can. [as] has aired programs after their DVD releases so I don't think that's an issue either. In the meantime it only makes sense for Viz to pitch IY:FA to other cable networks like DXD & NT because of the greater air time they would likely get. But right now it seems like DXD is leaning more towards live-action & it's remaining slots are reserved for movies & Marvel programming. NT is still getting a lot of mileage out of DBZ Kai, running well with GT, & still has it's Iron Man, Voltron, & Speed Racer contracts. If they had any room I really think Funi has the leg up with One Piece over Viz with IY:FA.

If there is a wild card it's CN. Since IY is the anime that draws the closest comparison to Disney animation, CN might consider it a good lead for their own fantasy based stuff like Thundercats on Fri nights. If that were the case, then VIZ would be looking a a more profitable licensive with Turner vs just [as]. They have the Hulu ratings to determine if it has that kind of strength.
Show your support for all things anime by clicking on ads in a pro-anime thread.
SwimHELPeR
Sketchor
Posts: 19,189
Registered: ‎07-11-2003
0

Re: Ratings Report V: Bumps, Nielsen Ratings, etc

Reply to _hack-SIGN_John - Message ID#: 63793467

Okay so you're not entirely clear as to what night CN would get prime time and how much prime time they would get.

 

Seems kind of peculiar for them keep PT on Monday and Thursday but not Tuesday and Wednesday.

 

And are you talking about CN just keeping it's current hours on those nights or gaining the 9PM hour back?

 

I would say at the very least CN could use 9PM-10PM on Friday and Saturday. Maybe they could use it on Monday but since they spread premieres over the other nights of the week they don't really need it.

 

I don't think they should loose 8PM on even two of those days because later this year they're going to have even more premieres they will want to air on Tuesday and Wednesday including the series based on Dreamwork's Dragons (just saw the preview the animation was impressive), internet hit The Annoying Orange, a new Total Drama series and the return of Scooby-Doo Mystery Incorporated which all have some level of older viewer appeal.

 

The only action show that does as well or better than Star Wars with 18-49 is ThunderCats. Generator Rex is a flop that has recently been removed from Friday and replaced by Ben 10: Ultimate Alien reruns. Green Lantern did pretty well with 18-49 back in November as I recall but it's getting Saturday morning premieres. I can't help but feel it would be much better for CN to air the soon to premiere DC Nation block planned for Saturday mornings somehwere in prime time.

 

If they had 9PM on Friday and Saturday they could have used one of those nights to run DC Nation at 8PM and follow that with Star Wars and ThunderCats but I suppose they could always encore it even if they intend to keep the premieres on Saturday mornings. Or perhaps encore DC Nation at 7PM, premiere Star Wars and ThunderCats in the 8 hour and get a couple of non-toyetic anime for 9PM, perhaps InuYasha: The Final Act as you suggested, Fairy Tail if they want the newest shounen on the block or bring back Naruto and/or One Piece. It's not ideal if they don't give those shows other slots in the week but at least they'd be in a lot more homes than Nicktoons.

 

Actually if CN did get InuYasha: The Final Act, I wonder if they'd be willing to air the reruns of the first series at 6AM. It might be too violent for that. They still have their limits.

 

 

HELPeR for the TOONAMI, Mobile Suit Gundam, Dragon Ball Z, Harvey Birdman and Perfect Hair Forever boards. Feel free to ask me anything on those topics.

sketch only puts the arrogant whiney punks in their place... sort of like batman, except on the {AS} boards - THECZAROFGNAR

Sketch, should we make sure it's imprinted on your grave stone "He felt very strongly that Bleach belonged on Toonami!" - .hack-SIGN_John

"We aknowledged that Toonami is cooler than us... and they aknowledged that we're full of ****." [adult swim]
SwimHELPeR
ALchemist81
Posts: 31,573
Registered: ‎03-16-2008
0

Re: Ratings Report V: Bumps, Nielsen Ratings, etc

Reply to Sketchor - Message ID#: 63779317


Sketchor wrote:

I have also recently noticed a few things regarding streaming.

 

The Big O as previously mentioned is on Gold.

 

Ghost in the Shell: The Stand Alone Complex is actually on Netflix and other streaming sites and also has direct downloads thanks to Manga Entertainment so cross that one off the list of shows only available through Adult Swim and it is now off of AS Video including Gold.

 

However Cowboy Bebop is not streaming on AS Video, not even on Gold. It is not on iTunes and I don't believe it's on PSN, Zune or various other direct download services. So the only way to legally watch it, English or Japanese other than buying the DVD's is Saturday nights on Adult Swim. Now I don't know about the rest of ya'll but I sure don't want to lose the only legal access I have to one of the best cartoons around and I'm not exactly made of money so I still don't have that box set.


Did you notice FMA:B is streaming 5 episodes a week, as if someone thought at some point it should get a weeknight run but there was no room for it so they did that instead?

HELLSING AND ISCARIOT HAVE SEEMINGLY JOINED FORCES AND ALL HELL HAS BROKEN LOOSE IN LONDON, BUT WILL ALUCARD EVER GET THE HELL OFF THE BOAT? FIND OUT THIS WEEK AT 2 AM, ONLY TOONAMI!!

But first, Attack On Titan shows Eren reluctant to kick his former comrade in arms Annie's ass, when she reveals herself to be the Female Titan at 11:30, then Bleach continues with Ichigo and friends kicking Xcution's ass at 12. The 4-Tailed Fox craves snake soup on Shippuden at 12:30. Once Piece delves deep into Robin's past at 1 before team Dai-Gurren has to fend of fearsome Adiane the Elegant on Gurren Lagann 1:30. Then, the Vampires come out at 2 AM as Hellsing Ultimate brings you another awesome round of undead-on-undead action! After that, get ready for a great late late late night of classics, as Space Dandy returns at 3, Cowboy Bebop is next at 3:30, FMA:B at 4, a never-before-seen-on-Toonami episode of Ghost In The Shell at 4:30, The Big O at 5, and Samurai Jack at 5:30!
SwimHELPeR
ALchemist81
Posts: 31,573
Registered: ‎03-16-2008
0

Re: Ratings Report V: Bumps, Nielsen Ratings, etc

[ Edited ]

Reply to _hack-SIGN_John - Message ID#: 63793467


_hack-SIGN_John wrote:
Jeeb is blowing smoke over IY:FA as well. [as] currently holds the rights to the bulk of IY so there is no reason to add IY:FA until that contract comes up for renewal.   That's how they get a better deal over entering a separate one just for IY:FA.

If what you say is correct, the real question becomes: when the hell might that be?  Keep in mind it started airing in August 2002.  Final Act could be part of the renegotiations for August 2012, which could also explains why it was thought to be the 3rd anime for 2010, and at some point a "can't tell you" appeared for September 25, 2010, along with InuYasha Episodes 1-4 rising from the grave to be aired at 1:30 around that time.  If you read between the lines, it isn't that hard to figure out what happened.  It seems [as] was negotiating for Final Act in 2010, but it turned out the dub wasn't ready yet, so they decided to just hold off until IY classic's contract was up for renewal again in 2012, and somehow they've further negotiated to delay Viz DVD sale until around late 2012.  It really makes sense for Viz because demand will be just as high for Final Act 6 months from now as it is now.  So I think we'll be getting Final Act in August 2012, with DVD volumes to be released around October, Christmas, and early 2013.

HELLSING AND ISCARIOT HAVE SEEMINGLY JOINED FORCES AND ALL HELL HAS BROKEN LOOSE IN LONDON, BUT WILL ALUCARD EVER GET THE HELL OFF THE BOAT? FIND OUT THIS WEEK AT 2 AM, ONLY TOONAMI!!

But first, Attack On Titan shows Eren reluctant to kick his former comrade in arms Annie's ass, when she reveals herself to be the Female Titan at 11:30, then Bleach continues with Ichigo and friends kicking Xcution's ass at 12. The 4-Tailed Fox craves snake soup on Shippuden at 12:30. Once Piece delves deep into Robin's past at 1 before team Dai-Gurren has to fend of fearsome Adiane the Elegant on Gurren Lagann 1:30. Then, the Vampires come out at 2 AM as Hellsing Ultimate brings you another awesome round of undead-on-undead action! After that, get ready for a great late late late night of classics, as Space Dandy returns at 3, Cowboy Bebop is next at 3:30, FMA:B at 4, a never-before-seen-on-Toonami episode of Ghost In The Shell at 4:30, The Big O at 5, and Samurai Jack at 5:30!
SwimSuperfan
Jeebus201
Posts: 4,053
Registered: ‎11-22-2010
0

Re: Ratings Report V: Bumps, Nielsen Ratings, etc

Reply to ALchemist81 - Message ID#: 63802107

It's worth noting that Viz has had the license for a very long time now. If Adult swim wanted it right away, I assume a dub would have been ready far sooner. As it stands, the odds of it airing are slim.
oh, for those obessed about anime promotion - please stop, youre just wrong. we cant even debate it because ive made a decent living by looking at promo schedules and ratings grids probably for longer than youve been alive. i can assure you that if anime promotion was the answer to anime success then youd see more anime promotion. cos then id be making more mad cash and wouldnt have to write things on the internet about anime. -Adult Swim President Mike Lazzo

http://vod.fxnetworks.com/watch/angermanagement - Full episodes of Anger Management. Because Charlie is winning, unlike Casshern Sins.
SwimStar
_hack-SIGN_John
Posts: 5,558
Registered: ‎08-01-2005
0

Re: Ratings Report V: Bumps, Nielsen Ratings, etc

Reply to _hack-SIGN_John - Message ID#: 63793467

You can make the argument that CN should end at 10:30pm Fri-Sun. [as] is getting crushed in the 90 min prior by Reality TV, movies, & DSNY movies. They are doing much better than [as] in A18-49 then. CN's PT on those nights is routinely beating [as] 1st hr then.

The tradeoff is to end CN by 7:30PM on Mon & Thu. TBS devotes PT to FGuy on Mon, & 1/2 of PT to FGuy on Thu. ADad does solid #'s at 10:30pm on both nights, but prior slots are worse than typical FX movie ratings. A 7:30PM-10:30PM movie slot is large enough to fit most blockbuster films. Net PT time for CN & [as] then remains the same. CN will still have PT hrs 5 nights a week for their own premiere's.

I've already eliminated Fri-Sun as movie nights for [as] because if you look at the competition, TBS usually airs the most swim worthy comedies, & TNT, FX, USA air the best action. SyFy locks down horror. You can argue something like a cable network premiere like GI Joe could still do better with [as] than CN, but realistically is Turner going to give that to [as]? No. That premiere would go to TBS or TNT. As far as Turner's kids go, TBS is #1, TNT #2, CNN #3, [as] #4, & CN #5.

As far as genre, blockbuster action/horror is best suited for Mon, & blockbuster comedies on Thu.

Show your support for all things anime by clicking on ads in a pro-anime thread.
SwimStar
_hack-SIGN_John
Posts: 5,558
Registered: ‎08-01-2005
0

Re: Ratings Report V: Bumps, Nielsen Ratings, etc

Reply to Jeebus201 - Message ID#: 63816687

I'm expecting IY:FA this fall as well. I think it will be mentioned at this yr's upfront. Too bad we can't put Jeeb on ignore. Is he ever right on anything related to this thread? I mean [as] hit's a Grand Slam with it's Star Wars Sat event night & what does he conclude? That [as] should go all comedy Sat. Never mind the fact that Clone Wars had 3 hrs of that space, has he even seen those RC & FGuy SW specials? They weren't the first. In fact they didn't even have much related to E1. Both Seth's said they were their worst efforts comedy wise but knew anything SW related that produced would get the #'s so that's why they did it.

What would be the sensible conclusion then? That [as] should target shows that better appeal to Clone Wars fans on Sat night. What do you think that is? While Bleach, FMA:B, GitS, Bebop, Big O, & yes FLCL have obvious appeal to these fans, Bleach is the only premiere. Kekk was clearly an IY related choice, & Dur a personal programming choice. So if the programmer was to act on the Clone Wars strength that night what should he do? Get Broken Blade, & the Final Fantasy films for starters. They both combine mecha with sword play.

The last thing the programmer should do is chuck the anime for Squids, ATHF, Frank, Jail, CH, Delocated, NTSF, or any of the other [as] shows are rarely watch now. VBros is always welcome on Sat nights.
Show your support for all things anime by clicking on ads in a pro-anime thread.
SwimSuperfan
Jeebus201
Posts: 4,053
Registered: ‎11-22-2010
0

Re: Ratings Report V: Bumps, Nielsen Ratings, etc

Reply to _hack-SIGN_John - Message ID#: 63822229

It must be nice living in a fantasy world. Next you'll tell me anime performance justifies a return to weekdays when it doesn't.

Reality, the highest rated shows of Star Wars night were the comedies, leading me to believe the comedy addition, their most popular comedies at that, led the charge.

Also, the programmers preference is only going to dig the block deeper into its hole. Sooner or later, it won't come out.
oh, for those obessed about anime promotion - please stop, youre just wrong. we cant even debate it because ive made a decent living by looking at promo schedules and ratings grids probably for longer than youve been alive. i can assure you that if anime promotion was the answer to anime success then youd see more anime promotion. cos then id be making more mad cash and wouldnt have to write things on the internet about anime. -Adult Swim President Mike Lazzo

http://vod.fxnetworks.com/watch/angermanagement - Full episodes of Anger Management. Because Charlie is winning, unlike Casshern Sins.
Squire
Dark_Lord_Khrima
Posts: 15,923
Registered: ‎04-10-2008

Re: Ratings Report V: Bumps, Nielsen Ratings, etc

Reply to Jeebus201 - Message ID#: 63823813

I think you're forgetting that those episodes in particular of Family Guy and Robot Chicken would likely beat *anything* on the block, anime or not, so you can't really use them doing well as proof of anything other than Family Guy and Robot Chicken still being AS's two most popular shows.

It's not like we average out all of the comedy ratings and all of the anime ratings and then axe whichever is lower. You have to take each individual show as an individual show. Some comedies get better ratings than animes, some don't, but even if Robot Chicken and Family Guy are beating them in the ratings, that doesn't mean animes don't have their place on the block. It's not like they're airing in prime time or anything.
SwimHELPeR
Sketchor
Posts: 19,189
Registered: ‎07-11-2003
0

Re: Ratings Report V: Bumps, Nielsen Ratings, etc

Reply to _hack-SIGN_John - Message ID#: 63821977


_hack-SIGN_John wrote:
You can make the argument that CN should end at 10:30pm Fri-Sun. [as] is getting crushed in the 90 min prior by Reality TV, movies, & DSNY movies. They are doing much better than [as] in A18-49 then. CN's PT on those nights is routinely beating [as] 1st hr then.

The tradeoff is to end CN by 7:30PM on Mon & Thu. TBS devotes PT to FGuy on Mon, & 1/2 of PT to FGuy on Thu. ADad does solid #'s at 10:30pm on both nights, but prior slots are worse than typical FX movie ratings. A 7:30PM-10:30PM movie slot is large enough to fit most blockbuster films. Net PT time for CN & [as] then remains the same. CN will still have PT hrs 5 nights a week for their own premiere's.

I've already eliminated Fri-Sun as movie nights for [as] because if you look at the competition, TBS usually airs the most swim worthy comedies, & TNT, FX, USA air the best action. SyFy locks down horror. You can argue something like a cable network premiere like GI Joe could still do better with [as] than CN, but realistically is Turner going to give that to [as]? No. That premiere would go to TBS or TNT. As far as Turner's kids go, TBS is #1, TNT #2, CNN #3, [as] #4, & CN #5.

As far as genre, blockbuster action/horror is best suited for Mon, & blockbuster comedies on Thu.


You can't honestly think taking 7:30-9PM away from Cartoon Network on Monday is a good idea.

 

Their top rated shows ALL WEEK air in that time frame. And if they tried to air them on Friday, Saturday or Sunday it would not yield the same great results. Viewers don't like change to time slots and if they moved those premieres to even Tuesday or Wednesday it may still not do as well as they do on Monday.

 

I'm not so sure CN really needs 10PM on any of those weekend nights either. But getting 9PM-10PM back would be good even if they just air movies then as they like to air movies before Adult Swim on both Saturday and Sunday.

 

Here's some interesting ratings for you regards to movies.

 

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2012/02/22/monday-cable-ratings-
pawn-stars-rules-again-wwe-raw-t-i-...

 

Planet 51's Cartoon Network premiere at 5PM on Monday

 

3.188 Million Total Viewers

0.8 18-49

 

The upteenth rerun of Shrek airing right before it at 3PM that day

 

2.294 Million Total Viewers

0.7 18-49

 

I'm not sure how much Cartoon Network values it's 18-49 raitngs before 9PM but the kid's ratings for those movies were plenty good as well.

HELPeR for the TOONAMI, Mobile Suit Gundam, Dragon Ball Z, Harvey Birdman and Perfect Hair Forever boards. Feel free to ask me anything on those topics.

sketch only puts the arrogant whiney punks in their place... sort of like batman, except on the {AS} boards - THECZAROFGNAR

Sketch, should we make sure it's imprinted on your grave stone "He felt very strongly that Bleach belonged on Toonami!" - .hack-SIGN_John

"We aknowledged that Toonami is cooler than us... and they aknowledged that we're full of ****." [adult swim]
SwimHELPeR
Sketchor
Posts: 19,189
Registered: ‎07-11-2003
0

Re: Ratings Report V: Bumps, Nielsen Ratings, etc

Reply to _hack-SIGN_John - Message ID#: 63821977

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2012/02/22/ratings-notes-for-car
toon-network-adult-swim-tbs-tnt-har...

 

Cartoon Network

 

Once again claiming the #1 television network for the week among boys in Early Evening Prime (7-9 p.m.), Cartoon Network also ascended the third week of February to claim the #2 television network of the week (behind only Disney Channel) in Total Day among kids 2-11 and kids 6-11.  Compared to the same time period last year,weekly prime delivery grew between 28% - 43% across kids 2-11, 6-11 & 9-14; average Total Day delivery grew between 24% - 38% across the same kid demos.

 

Fueled by original animated comedies, Monday night (7-9 p.m.) was the #1 TV destination for kids 6-11, kids 9-14and all boy demos, posting double-digit delivery growth across all demos between 24% - 41%.  Adventure Time(7:30 p.m.) was the #1 telecast of the week among all boy demos.

 

Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday and Friday nights (7-9 p.m.) also were the #1 TV destination for boys 2-11, 6-11 & 9-14.  Tuesday and Wednesday nights both charted double and triple-digit delivery gains across the board—between 40% and 127%--and each boasted the #1 telecast of the day among boys: The Amazing World of Gumball (7:30 p.m.) with boys 6-11 and Level Up (8 p.m.) with boys 9-14 on Tuesday, and Ninjago (8 p.m.) with all boy demos on Wednesday.

 

Cartoon Network’s Saturday morning (6:30 – 11 a.m.) earned significant delivery gains across all kids and boys demos vs. the same time period last year.  Kids 6-11 average delivery (371,000) grew by 15% while kids 9-14 (400,000) grew by 45%.  Saturday night (7-9 p.m.) also placed Cartoon Network as the #1 TV destination among boys 2-11 and 6-11.

 

---------------------------------------------------

 

#2 behind Disney Channel finally beating Nickeldeon with kids 6-11 and even kids 2-11. That's some improvement. Nickelodeon has been having a bad couple of months and that's definently CN's gain.

 

They even won the boys demos on every day but Sunday. I don't think they've won the boys demos on Saturday evenings in a while. Probably not since Toonami fell from grace.

 

Now again I ask you is it a good idea to give up the night of prime time when Cartoon Network is #1 with all those kid's demographics? I would have to say no. That would be a mistake.

 

Adult Swim has enough hours, they can simply use the hours they have more effectively instead of taking more of Cartoon Network's away.

 

They are however in an odd spot with 9PM on weekdays. It does well enough but King of the Hill isn't anywhere near the winner American Dad is at 10PM. Not that their original series would do much better (if better at all) and they have the content cap in that hour as well. All reasons why 9PM was a bad idea for Adult Swim but the longer they have it the better it will do for them because people are creatures of habit. The biggest problem they face will always be network prime time and that's the other big reason they should never touch 8PM where they will get slaughtered by network prime time even more than they do at 9PM.

HELPeR for the TOONAMI, Mobile Suit Gundam, Dragon Ball Z, Harvey Birdman and Perfect Hair Forever boards. Feel free to ask me anything on those topics.

sketch only puts the arrogant whiney punks in their place... sort of like batman, except on the {AS} boards - THECZAROFGNAR

Sketch, should we make sure it's imprinted on your grave stone "He felt very strongly that Bleach belonged on Toonami!" - .hack-SIGN_John

"We aknowledged that Toonami is cooler than us... and they aknowledged that we're full of ****." [adult swim]
SwimHELPeR
Sketchor
Posts: 19,189
Registered: ‎07-11-2003
0

Re: Ratings Report V: Bumps, Nielsen Ratings, etc

[ Edited ]

Reply to _hack-SIGN_John - Message ID#: 63822229


_hack-SIGN_John wrote:
I'm expecting IY:FA this fall as well. I think it will be mentioned at this yr's upfront. Too bad we can't put Jeeb on ignore. Is he ever right on anything related to this thread? I mean [as] hit's a Grand Slam with it's Star Wars Sat event night & what does he conclude? That [as] should go all comedy Sat. Never mind the fact that Clone Wars had 3 hrs of that space, has he even seen those RC & FGuy SW specials? They weren't the first. In fact they didn't even have much related to E1. Both Seth's said they were their worst efforts comedy wise but knew anything SW related that produced would get the #'s so that's why they did it.

What would be the sensible conclusion then? That [as] should target shows that better appeal to Clone Wars fans on Sat night. What do you think that is? While Bleach, FMA:B, GitS, Bebop, Big O, & yes FLCL have obvious appeal to these fans, Bleach is the only premiere. Kekk was clearly an IY related choice, & Dur a personal programming choice. So if the programmer was to act on the Clone Wars strength that night what should he do? Get Broken Blade, & the Final Fantasy films for starters. They both combine mecha with sword play.

The last thing the programmer should do is chuck the anime for Squids, ATHF, Frank, Jail, CH, Delocated, NTSF, or any of the other [as] shows are rarely watch now. VBros is always welcome on Sat nights.

Well it cannot be denied that Star Wars night proved late night comedy will beat late night action dramas. Clone Wars benefited from it's lead-ins of course but it might be able to beat some of the current anime reruns if they brought it back to Saturday night.

 

Anime movies have never done particularly well but maybe Broken Blade or at least Advent Children could do well or at least break the trend for them doing badly.

 

I welcome Venture Bros. at all times but ratings have shown it does awful on Saturdays.

 

We'll soon see how Aqua Teen and Metalocalypse do on Saturday but if they don't do as well as The Boondocks the simple solution is returning The Boondocks to that slot.

 

What reason do they have to wait until fall to run InuYasha: The Final Act? And if they had intention of getting it why wouldn't they at least double up InuYasha's rerun slot or maybe even air it in a watchable slot in preparation for it?

 

I think people expecting Adult Swim to still care about InuYasha are in need of a reality check. They've shown no indication that they intend to air Final Act other than continuing to air the original series at 5:30AM and they've probably only done that because it's still under contract. I'm not saying it will absolutely not air but expecting it to come this Fall? Why the wait? They don't seem to have anything else on the docket and the ratings will suffer if they don't have a second premiere to go with Bleach before Fall. Waiting until the renewal period is a reasonable theory but I don't quite buy it.

HELPeR for the TOONAMI, Mobile Suit Gundam, Dragon Ball Z, Harvey Birdman and Perfect Hair Forever boards. Feel free to ask me anything on those topics.

sketch only puts the arrogant whiney punks in their place... sort of like batman, except on the {AS} boards - THECZAROFGNAR

Sketch, should we make sure it's imprinted on your grave stone "He felt very strongly that Bleach belonged on Toonami!" - .hack-SIGN_John

"We aknowledged that Toonami is cooler than us... and they aknowledged that we're full of ****." [adult swim]
SwimHELPeR
ALchemist81
Posts: 31,573
Registered: ‎03-16-2008
0

Re: Ratings Report V: Bumps, Nielsen Ratings, etc

Reply to Jeebus201 - Message ID#: 63823813

Actually, due to its distinctive action flavor, I think the return of The Boondocks to weeknights might represent the greatest chance for weeknight action since 2010. If the ratings are good enough they'll keep it there and might even be crazy enough to try Bleach from Episode 110 or 190 at 1 AM. (Not from the beginning, because then we'd have to go through the Bount arc--yuck). Obviously this wouldn't work on Thursday nights with their live-action flair, but Mon-Wed and Friday it would be decent.

If the Boondocks ratings are good enough it would be an indicator that [as] fans are starved for action on weeknights and it actually shows fresh and recently-untapped potential, if only for a no-repeat mixed action block from 12:30 AM to 2 AM. While I would like to see something like FMA:B follow Bleach if it DID get a weeknight slot, it's not clear that it's in the same league as Bleach, and would make a lot more sense to show Clone Wars before going back to American Dad. Both have enough episodes to justify a 1:30 AM Weeknight slot 4 days a week.

Mon-Wed & Fri:
9 PM - KOTH x2
10 PM - American Dad x2
11 PM - Family Guy x2
12 AM - Robot Chicken x2
12:30 AM - Boondocks
1 AM - Bleach
1:30 AM - FMA:B or SW:TCW
2 AM - American Dad Encore
3 AM - Family Guy Encore
4 AM - DVR Theater
4:30 AM - Robot Chicken x2
5 AM - KOTH x2

Note that pushes the Seth McFarlane encores earlier in the night, but that's alright because the mixed action block is no-repeat. Alternatively, you could give Venture Brothers the 1 AM timeslot and Clone Wars 1:30 if you want to keep the weeknight "mixed action" American.
HELLSING AND ISCARIOT HAVE SEEMINGLY JOINED FORCES AND ALL HELL HAS BROKEN LOOSE IN LONDON, BUT WILL ALUCARD EVER GET THE HELL OFF THE BOAT? FIND OUT THIS WEEK AT 2 AM, ONLY TOONAMI!!

But first, Attack On Titan shows Eren reluctant to kick his former comrade in arms Annie's ass, when she reveals herself to be the Female Titan at 11:30, then Bleach continues with Ichigo and friends kicking Xcution's ass at 12. The 4-Tailed Fox craves snake soup on Shippuden at 12:30. Once Piece delves deep into Robin's past at 1 before team Dai-Gurren has to fend of fearsome Adiane the Elegant on Gurren Lagann 1:30. Then, the Vampires come out at 2 AM as Hellsing Ultimate brings you another awesome round of undead-on-undead action! After that, get ready for a great late late late night of classics, as Space Dandy returns at 3, Cowboy Bebop is next at 3:30, FMA:B at 4, a never-before-seen-on-Toonami episode of Ghost In The Shell at 4:30, The Big O at 5, and Samurai Jack at 5:30!
Squire
Dark_Lord_Khrima
Posts: 15,923
Registered: ‎04-10-2008
0

Re: Ratings Report V: Bumps, Nielsen Ratings, etc

[ Edited ]

Reply to ALchemist81 - Message ID#: 63827291

They aren't removing ATHF from weeknights for anime... Or much of anything for that matter. If anime did air on weeknights it would probably be after DVR Theater, but even that seems iffy. I can't really see any room for anime on the weeknight schedule to be honest. They air all of their most popular comedies then, and Jeebus is right that animes don't hold a candle to those ratings-wise. It's some of the stuff they air on Sundays that makes me think animes are fine airing on the lowest rated night of the week for the sake of variety. I think Bleach in particular could easily beat China IL or Frankenhole in the ratings, but not any of the stuff that they let on weeknights. At least outside of DVR Theater. If they really wanted to they could give DVR Theater and ATHF/Tim and Eric encores a rest in favor of an hour of anime and probably do fine.

SwimHELPeR
Sketchor
Posts: 19,189
Registered: ‎07-11-2003
0

Re: Ratings Report V: Bumps, Nielsen Ratings, etc

Reply to ALchemist81 - Message ID#: 63827291


ALchemist81 wrote:
Actually, due to its distinctive action flavor, I think the return of The Boondocks to weeknights might represent the greatest chance for weeknight action since 2010. If the ratings are good enough they'll keep it there and might even be crazy enough to try Bleach from Episode 110 or 190 at 1 AM. (Not from the beginning, because then we'd have to go through the Bount arc--yuck). Obviously this wouldn't work on Thursday nights with their live-action flair, but Mon-Wed and Friday it would be decent.

If the Boondocks ratings are good enough it would be an indicator that [as] fans are starved for action on weeknights and it actually shows fresh and recently-untapped potential, if only for a no-repeat mixed action block from 12:30 AM to 2 AM. While I would like to see something like FMA:B follow Bleach if it DID get a weeknight slot, it's not clear that it's in the same league as Bleach, and would make a lot more sense to show Clone Wars before going back to American Dad. Both have enough episodes to justify a 1:30 AM Weeknight slot 4 days a week.

Mon-Wed & Fri:
9 PM - KOTH x2
10 PM - American Dad x2
11 PM - Family Guy x2
12 AM - Robot Chicken x2
12:30 AM - Boondocks
1 AM - Bleach
1:30 AM - FMA:B or SW:TCW
2 AM - American Dad Encore
3 AM - Family Guy Encore
4 AM - DVR Theater
4:30 AM - Robot Chicken x2
5 AM - KOTH x2

Note that pushes the Seth McFarlane encores earlier in the night, but that's alright because the mixed action block is no-repeat. Alternatively, you could give Venture Brothers the 1 AM timeslot and Clone Wars 1:30 if you want to keep the weeknight "mixed action" American.

The Bount Arc did plenty well on Adult Swim but more importantly they stand to gain more viewers for Bleach if they start over with a weekday run.

 

All American mixed action is an interesting idea. They do have at least Star Wars to try that with and chances are it would do well. Cartoon Network doesn't give the show reruns outside of it's 8PM Friday slot and weekend mornings.

 

Starved for action? That seems a bit unlikely but it might very well have been long enough since action has aired on weekdays that a few action shows on weekdays would draw big numbers for being something different than the usual.

HELPeR for the TOONAMI, Mobile Suit Gundam, Dragon Ball Z, Harvey Birdman and Perfect Hair Forever boards. Feel free to ask me anything on those topics.

sketch only puts the arrogant whiney punks in their place... sort of like batman, except on the {AS} boards - THECZAROFGNAR

Sketch, should we make sure it's imprinted on your grave stone "He felt very strongly that Bleach belonged on Toonami!" - .hack-SIGN_John

"We aknowledged that Toonami is cooler than us... and they aknowledged that we're full of ****." [adult swim]
SwimHELPeR
Sketchor
Posts: 19,189
Registered: ‎07-11-2003
0

Re: Ratings Report V: Bumps, Nielsen Ratings, etc

Reply to Dark_Lord_Khrima - Message ID#: 63827329


Dark_Lord_Khrima wrote:

They aren't removing ATHF from weeknights for anime... Or much of anything for that matter. If anime did air on weeknights it would probably be after DVR Theater, but even that seems iffy. I can't really see any room for anime on the weeknight schedule to be honest. They air all of their most popular comedies then, and Jeebus is right that animes don't hold a candle to those ratings-wise. It's some of the stuff they air on Sundays that makes me think animes are fine airing on the lowest rated night of the week for the sake of variety. I think Bleach in particular could easily beat China IL or Frankenhole in the ratings, but not any of the stuff that they let on weeknights. At least outside of DVR Theater. If they really wanted to they could give DVR Theater and ATHF/Tim and Eric encores a rest in favor of an hour of anime and probably do fine.


Yes very early morning anime could at least drive up DVR numbers. Or at least it shouldn't adversely affect them while giving action viewers a much appreciated weekday rerun slot.

HELPeR for the TOONAMI, Mobile Suit Gundam, Dragon Ball Z, Harvey Birdman and Perfect Hair Forever boards. Feel free to ask me anything on those topics.

sketch only puts the arrogant whiney punks in their place... sort of like batman, except on the {AS} boards - THECZAROFGNAR

Sketch, should we make sure it's imprinted on your grave stone "He felt very strongly that Bleach belonged on Toonami!" - .hack-SIGN_John

"We aknowledged that Toonami is cooler than us... and they aknowledged that we're full of ****." [adult swim]
SwimHELPeR
ALchemist81
Posts: 31,573
Registered: ‎03-16-2008
0

Re: Ratings Report V: Bumps, Nielsen Ratings, etc

Reply to Dark_Lord_Khrima - Message ID#: 63827329

Ok, then Aqua Teen could back up The Boondocks at 12:15 on Weeknights. What I don't understand is why the hell they feel Tim & Eric makes more sense than Clone Wars or Bleach. Seriously!? Screw Tim & Eric. Sure they've got that "Billion Dollar Movie" coming out (which might make 1/100th of that if they're lucky), but after that? Jettison to Sunday nights or something.
HELLSING AND ISCARIOT HAVE SEEMINGLY JOINED FORCES AND ALL HELL HAS BROKEN LOOSE IN LONDON, BUT WILL ALUCARD EVER GET THE HELL OFF THE BOAT? FIND OUT THIS WEEK AT 2 AM, ONLY TOONAMI!!

But first, Attack On Titan shows Eren reluctant to kick his former comrade in arms Annie's ass, when she reveals herself to be the Female Titan at 11:30, then Bleach continues with Ichigo and friends kicking Xcution's ass at 12. The 4-Tailed Fox craves snake soup on Shippuden at 12:30. Once Piece delves deep into Robin's past at 1 before team Dai-Gurren has to fend of fearsome Adiane the Elegant on Gurren Lagann 1:30. Then, the Vampires come out at 2 AM as Hellsing Ultimate brings you another awesome round of undead-on-undead action! After that, get ready for a great late late late night of classics, as Space Dandy returns at 3, Cowboy Bebop is next at 3:30, FMA:B at 4, a never-before-seen-on-Toonami episode of Ghost In The Shell at 4:30, The Big O at 5, and Samurai Jack at 5:30!
SwimHELPeR
ALchemist81
Posts: 31,573
Registered: ‎03-16-2008
0

Re: Ratings Report V: Bumps, Nielsen Ratings, etc

[ Edited ]

Reply to Sketchor - Message ID#: 63827353


Sketchor wrote:

ALchemist81 wrote:
Actually, due to its distinctive action flavor, I think the return of The Boondocks to weeknights might represent the greatest chance for weeknight action since 2010. If the ratings are good enough they'll keep it there and might even be crazy enough to try Bleach from Episode 110 or 190 at 1 AM. (Not from the beginning, because then we'd have to go through the Bount arc--yuck). Obviously this wouldn't work on Thursday nights with their live-action flair, but Mon-Wed and Friday it would be decent.

If the Boondocks ratings are good enough it would be an indicator that [as] fans are starved for action on weeknights and it actually shows fresh and recently-untapped potential, if only for a no-repeat mixed action block from 12:30 AM to 2 AM. While I would like to see something like FMA:B follow Bleach if it DID get a weeknight slot, it's not clear that it's in the same league as Bleach, and would make a lot more sense to show Clone Wars before going back to American Dad. Both have enough episodes to justify a 1:30 AM Weeknight slot 4 days a week.

Mon-Wed & Fri:
9 PM - KOTH x2
10 PM - American Dad x2
11 PM - Family Guy x2
12 AM - Robot Chicken x2
12:30 AM - Boondocks
1 AM - Bleach
1:30 AM - FMA:B or SW:TCW
2 AM - American Dad Encore
3 AM - Family Guy Encore
4 AM - DVR Theater
4:30 AM - Robot Chicken x2
5 AM - KOTH x2

Note that pushes the Seth McFarlane encores earlier in the night, but that's alright because the mixed action block is no-repeat. Alternatively, you could give Venture Brothers the 1 AM timeslot and Clone Wars 1:30 if you want to keep the weeknight "mixed action" American.

The Bount Arc did plenty well on Adult Swim but more importantly they stand to gain more viewers for Bleach if they start over with a weekday run.

 

All American mixed action is an interesting idea. They do have at least Star Wars to try that with and chances are it would do well. Cartoon Network doesn't give the show reruns outside of it's 8PM Friday slot and weekend mornings.

 

Starved for action? That seems a bit unlikely but it might very well have been long enough since action has aired on weekdays that a few action shows on weekdays would draw big numbers for being something different than the usual.


Were you watching the same Ratings Reports that I was?  The Bount Arc was a monumental flop!  It peaked at like 420,000 in Summer 2008, which by today's standards, or even those of the Amagai arc, which racked up an impressive run of #3s and peaked at 524,000, is pretty weak.  The 2nd Half of the Hueco Mundo arc, the "Turn Back the Pendulum" arc, and the Karakura Defense arc all scored over 500,000 12 times in 2011, and that's just what made the Top 3.  It peaked at an all-time high for Bleach at 610,000.

 

However, starting this week, Bleach will be led-in by Metalocalypse, and the hope is that it does better as a lead-in than the Boondocks did.  But it's undeniable the Boondocks was a solid lead-in for Bleach.  Would the same be true for weeknights, given the right episodes?  Maybe.  But you're right: at this point it's wishful thinking that they'd even try it.

 

And just for the record, Robot Chicken Star Wars didn't quite cleanly outperform The Clone Wars on that fateful Saturday night.  Three episodes of RCSW were rated lower than all of the episodes of SW:TCW.  However, RCSW certainly maintained the higher overall average (1,190,125 to 999,333).

HELLSING AND ISCARIOT HAVE SEEMINGLY JOINED FORCES AND ALL HELL HAS BROKEN LOOSE IN LONDON, BUT WILL ALUCARD EVER GET THE HELL OFF THE BOAT? FIND OUT THIS WEEK AT 2 AM, ONLY TOONAMI!!

But first, Attack On Titan shows Eren reluctant to kick his former comrade in arms Annie's ass, when she reveals herself to be the Female Titan at 11:30, then Bleach continues with Ichigo and friends kicking Xcution's ass at 12. The 4-Tailed Fox craves snake soup on Shippuden at 12:30. Once Piece delves deep into Robin's past at 1 before team Dai-Gurren has to fend of fearsome Adiane the Elegant on Gurren Lagann 1:30. Then, the Vampires come out at 2 AM as Hellsing Ultimate brings you another awesome round of undead-on-undead action! After that, get ready for a great late late late night of classics, as Space Dandy returns at 3, Cowboy Bebop is next at 3:30, FMA:B at 4, a never-before-seen-on-Toonami episode of Ghost In The Shell at 4:30, The Big O at 5, and Samurai Jack at 5:30!
SwimHELPeR
Sketchor
Posts: 19,189
Registered: ‎07-11-2003
0

Re: Ratings Report V: Bumps, Nielsen Ratings, etc

Reply to ALchemist81 - Message ID#: 63827561


ALchemist81 wrote:

Sketchor wrote:

ALchemist81 wrote:
Actually, due to its distinctive action flavor, I think the return of The Boondocks to weeknights might represent the greatest chance for weeknight action since 2010. If the ratings are good enough they'll keep it there and might even be crazy enough to try Bleach from Episode 110 or 190 at 1 AM. (Not from the beginning, because then we'd have to go through the Bount arc--yuck). Obviously this wouldn't work on Thursday nights with their live-action flair, but Mon-Wed and Friday it would be decent.

If the Boondocks ratings are good enough it would be an indicator that [as] fans are starved for action on weeknights and it actually shows fresh and recently-untapped potential, if only for a no-repeat mixed action block from 12:30 AM to 2 AM. While I would like to see something like FMA:B follow Bleach if it DID get a weeknight slot, it's not clear that it's in the same league as Bleach, and would make a lot more sense to show Clone Wars before going back to American Dad. Both have enough episodes to justify a 1:30 AM Weeknight slot 4 days a week.

Mon-Wed & Fri:
9 PM - KOTH x2
10 PM - American Dad x2
11 PM - Family Guy x2
12 AM - Robot Chicken x2
12:30 AM - Boondocks
1 AM - Bleach
1:30 AM - FMA:B or SW:TCW
2 AM - American Dad Encore
3 AM - Family Guy Encore
4 AM - DVR Theater
4:30 AM - Robot Chicken x2
5 AM - KOTH x2

Note that pushes the Seth McFarlane encores earlier in the night, but that's alright because the mixed action block is no-repeat. Alternatively, you could give Venture Brothers the 1 AM timeslot and Clone Wars 1:30 if you want to keep the weeknight "mixed action" American.

The Bount Arc did plenty well on Adult Swim but more importantly they stand to gain more viewers for Bleach if they start over with a weekday run.

 

All American mixed action is an interesting idea. They do have at least Star Wars to try that with and chances are it would do well. Cartoon Network doesn't give the show reruns outside of it's 8PM Friday slot and weekend mornings.

 

Starved for action? That seems a bit unlikely but it might very well have been long enough since action has aired on weekdays that a few action shows on weekdays would draw big numbers for being something different than the usual.


Were you watching the same Ratings Reports that I was?  The Bount Arc was a monumental flop!  It peaked at like 420,000 in Summer 2008, which by today's standards, or even those of the Amagai arc, which racked up an impressive run of #3s and peaked at 524,000, is pretty weak.  The 2nd Half of the Hueco Mundo arc, the "Turn Back the Pendulum" arc, and the Karakura Defense arc all scored over 500,000 12 times in 2011, and that's just what made the Top 3.  It peaked at an all-time high for Bleach at 610,000.

 

However, starting this week, Bleach will be led-in by Metalocalypse, and the hope is that it does better as a lead-in than the Boondocks did.  But it's undeniable the Boondocks was a solid lead-in for Bleach.  Would the same be true for weeknights, given the right episodes?  Maybe.  But you're right: at this point it's wishful thinking that they'd even try it.

 

And just for the record, Robot Chicken Star Wars didn't quite cleanly outperform The Clone Wars on that fateful Saturday night.  Three episodes of RCSW were rated lower than all of the episodes of SW:TCW.  However, RCSW certainly maintained the higher overall average (1,190,125 to 999,333).


That is a very good point and it wasn't even just the 9PM hour, 9:30 did better than both 1:30AM and 2AM but come on man the 12AM-1.5AM episodes of Clone Wars lost to the 2:30AM-4:30AM Robot Chicken and Family Guy.

 

I actually look at the drop off from Clone Wars to Robot Chicken as good reasoning that action should never lose 12AM-2AM and any comedy additions should be made some time after 2AM when people get home from bars and parties.

 

I'm still gonna disagree with you on Bount ratings because 400,000 back then was good ratings for Bleach. I don't recall the Soul Society arc doing better than that. Bleach got better ratings over time, that's how it should work for a long story like that but 400,000 was plenty good back then. Maybe I'm missing something here but I don't see ratings reports that indicate first run Bount arc episodes did badly on Adult Swim and I chock up any assumption that they did bad to the old anime fan "grrr me hate filler!" attitude. They were wrong about Naruto filler doing bad on CN and they were wrong about Bleach filler doing bad at least until recently where it cannot be denied the side story has dropped Bleach's ratings.

HELPeR for the TOONAMI, Mobile Suit Gundam, Dragon Ball Z, Harvey Birdman and Perfect Hair Forever boards. Feel free to ask me anything on those topics.

sketch only puts the arrogant whiney punks in their place... sort of like batman, except on the {AS} boards - THECZAROFGNAR

Sketch, should we make sure it's imprinted on your grave stone "He felt very strongly that Bleach belonged on Toonami!" - .hack-SIGN_John

"We aknowledged that Toonami is cooler than us... and they aknowledged that we're full of ****." [adult swim]
SwimHELPeR
Sketchor
Posts: 19,189
Registered: ‎07-11-2003
0

Re: Ratings Report V: Bumps, Nielsen Ratings, etc

[ Edited ]

Reply to Sketchor - Message ID#: 63828781

I seem to recall there being a previous report about a live action Bleach movie being in development at Warner but I figured John would be interested in seeing this link

 

http://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-news/2012/02/22-1/warner-bros-de
veloping-live-action-bleach-adaptat...

 

That's very good news for Bleach's status on Adult Swim though synergy between Turner and Warner remains spotty at best.

 

Bleach is very adaptable particularly before the characters have all their outlandish super powers. It's remarkably comparable to Spider-Man early on which is what FOX wanted out of Dragon Ball Evolution and failed to capture because that's not Dragon Ball. Not even a little bit. Granted I wasn't one of the people that cringed at the idea of Death Note, Akira, Ghost in the Shell, Robotech, Cowboy Bebop or Bubblegum Crisis getting optioned for live action films because any anime routed in Sci-Fi or horror could have a good non-campy live action adaptation. And it can be argued fantasy anime could be done well but there's still something about trying to do a live action InuYasha, One Piece or Pokemon that seems like a really bad idea. Bleach's urban setting and stylization will make for a much cleaner adaptation. Though it could still end up much too campy for the fan's liking. That is assuming it even comes out because man manga/anime based films have been optioned and really only a few have made it to theaters thus far.

 

And now some potential bad news for Bleach's status on Japanese television.

 

http://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-news/2012/02/23/magazine-reports
-bleach-anime-ending-on-march-27th

 

Bleach may very well be ending in Japan (the manga is beginning it's final arc but it could take years to finish) but Adult Swim's run is still 100 episodes behind Japan.

 

It should be very obvious by now that Bleach is much more popular in America than it is in Japan at this point. Given that, it should have several years left in it over here and it's fandom will not die out whenever the show ends it's broadcast run.

 

Getting back to America if Warner wants Bleach to be a hit for them then the first logical step is giving it a bit more exposure on US television. Give it prime time. Bleach keeps under TV-MA so it should be safe for even 9PM standards on Adult Swim. Try an hour rerun block at 9PM on Friday, Saturday and maybe even Sunday. It can't do worse than the original comedies do there and might beat King of the Hill and could benefit from airing after Star Wars and/or ThunderCats on CN. I've suggested this quite a few times lately and really no other anime on AS can make claim for prime time but Bleach absolutely could.

HELPeR for the TOONAMI, Mobile Suit Gundam, Dragon Ball Z, Harvey Birdman and Perfect Hair Forever boards. Feel free to ask me anything on those topics.

sketch only puts the arrogant whiney punks in their place... sort of like batman, except on the {AS} boards - THECZAROFGNAR

Sketch, should we make sure it's imprinted on your grave stone "He felt very strongly that Bleach belonged on Toonami!" - .hack-SIGN_John

"We aknowledged that Toonami is cooler than us... and they aknowledged that we're full of ****." [adult swim]
SwimSuperfan
Jeebus201
Posts: 4,053
Registered: ‎11-22-2010
0

Re: Ratings Report V: Bumps, Nielsen Ratings, etc

Reply to ALchemist81 - Message ID#: 63827437

Because Adult Swim has invested a lot of time and money into the pair. And yes, Billion Dollar Movie (which according to critics is fairly mediocre although not a total trainwreck like say, the FMA movie) is a big factor.
oh, for those obessed about anime promotion - please stop, youre just wrong. we cant even debate it because ive made a decent living by looking at promo schedules and ratings grids probably for longer than youve been alive. i can assure you that if anime promotion was the answer to anime success then youd see more anime promotion. cos then id be making more mad cash and wouldnt have to write things on the internet about anime. -Adult Swim President Mike Lazzo

http://vod.fxnetworks.com/watch/angermanagement - Full episodes of Anger Management. Because Charlie is winning, unlike Casshern Sins.
SwimHELPeR
ALchemist81
Posts: 31,573
Registered: ‎03-16-2008
0

Re: Ratings Report V: Bumps, Nielsen Ratings, etc

[ Edited ]

Reply to Jeebus201 - Message ID#: 63829499

Trainwreck?? Really!?! Here's your "trainwreck," Jeebus:

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/fullmetal_alchemist_the_sacred_st
ar_of_milos/


86%, 94% with audiences? I wouldn't call that a trainwreck, Jeebus. If the Billion Dollar Movie can manage to beat that, I'll eat my Fullmetal Alchemist T-Shirt!  Oh, wait...

 

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/tim_and_erics_billion_dollar_movi
e/

 

Hell, even Conqueror of Shamballa has the edge on that with viewers: http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/fullmetal_alchemist_the_movie/

What...the...HELL!? Bleach ENDING in Japan? Well, this indicates 2 things: (1) Viz might not even dub beyond the end of the Arrancar Downfall arc, which could ostensibly spell the end for action on Adult Swim in 2013, or (2) Bleach might come back this fall in a more focused, filler-free "Final Act"-style conclusion. Here's hoping the latter. The last thing Bleach needs at this point is more filler material and it's clear even Japanese fans' patience has been wearing thin on Tite Kubo. A strong 26-episode finish for Bleach could make it worthwhile for Viz to just keep on truckin' with it.

But when the hell did CRUNCHYROLL become a reliable source for anime news? Still, it's a legit site (or at least as legit as ANN), so I'm inclined to believe what it's reporting is true...

HELLSING AND ISCARIOT HAVE SEEMINGLY JOINED FORCES AND ALL HELL HAS BROKEN LOOSE IN LONDON, BUT WILL ALUCARD EVER GET THE HELL OFF THE BOAT? FIND OUT THIS WEEK AT 2 AM, ONLY TOONAMI!!

But first, Attack On Titan shows Eren reluctant to kick his former comrade in arms Annie's ass, when she reveals herself to be the Female Titan at 11:30, then Bleach continues with Ichigo and friends kicking Xcution's ass at 12. The 4-Tailed Fox craves snake soup on Shippuden at 12:30. Once Piece delves deep into Robin's past at 1 before team Dai-Gurren has to fend of fearsome Adiane the Elegant on Gurren Lagann 1:30. Then, the Vampires come out at 2 AM as Hellsing Ultimate brings you another awesome round of undead-on-undead action! After that, get ready for a great late late late night of classics, as Space Dandy returns at 3, Cowboy Bebop is next at 3:30, FMA:B at 4, a never-before-seen-on-Toonami episode of Ghost In The Shell at 4:30, The Big O at 5, and Samurai Jack at 5:30!