Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Creepy Doll
comedyswimfan089

Re: Ratings Report V: Bumps, Nielsen Ratings, etc

Reply to Sketchor - Message ID#: 63827075

Sketchor wrote:

Cartoon Network’s Saturday morning (6:30 – 11 a.m.) earned significant delivery gains across all kids and boys demos vs. the same time period last year.  Kids 6-11 average delivery (371,000) grew by 15% while kids 9-14 (400,000) grew by 45%.  Saturday night (7-9 p.m.) also placed Cartoon Network as the #1 TV destination among boys 2-11 and 6-11.

Any child-friendly network programmed well would have to improve over last year's numbers.  Especially since ABC dumped all their Disney-produced programming off their Saturday morning schedule (and went with the god-awful Litton Weekend Adventures), leaving only The CW targeting children from 8am to 10am on the over-the-airs.  If any of the big three cable networks (Disney, Nick, CN) fell, then it's a program director's problem.

So now I've been a member of the ASMB for 9 years.
What in the world was I thinking back then?.
Creepy Doll
comedyswimfan089

Reply to Sketchor - Message ID#: 63827431

Sketchor wrote:

Dark_Lord_Khrima wrote:

They aren't removing ATHF from weeknights for anime... Or much of anything for that matter. If anime did air on weeknights it would probably be after DVR Theater, but even that seems iffy. I can't really see any room for anime on the weeknight schedule to be honest. They air all of their most popular comedies then, and Jeebus is right that animes don't hold a candle to those ratings-wise. It's some of the stuff they air on Sundays that makes me think animes are fine airing on the lowest rated night of the week for the sake of variety. I think Bleach in particular could easily beat China IL or Frankenhole in the ratings, but not any of the stuff that they let on weeknights. At least outside of DVR Theater. If they really wanted to they could give DVR Theater and ATHF/Tim and Eric encores a rest in favor of an hour of anime and probably do fine.

Yes very early morning anime could at least drive up DVR numbers. Or at least it shouldn't adversely affect them while giving action viewers a much appreciated weekday rerun slot.

Why not program it 5:00am-6:00am where it could get those to get up early for school and the whatnot?

Like the old 5am-6am hour that came about when [as] expanded to 7 hours.

Hell's Minions
ALchemist81

Reply to comedyswimfan089 - Message ID#: 63829603

The only problem with that is King of the Hill already does decently for working-class people who have to wake up at 5 AM for work at 6 or 7 AM.

But still, Clone Wars blew it away on Saturday, breaking a million. KOTH performs admirably compared to say, InuYasha, but it's never broke a million in the 5-6 AM rerun hour.
HELLSING AND ISCARIOT HAVE SEEMINGLY JOINED FORCES AND ALL HELL HAS BROKEN LOOSE IN LONDON, BUT WILL ALUCARD EVER GET THE HELL OFF THE BOAT? FIND OUT THIS WEEK AT 2 AM, ONLY TOONAMI!!

But first, Attack On Titan shows Eren reluctant to kick his former comrade in arms Annie's ass, when she reveals herself to be the Female Titan at 11:30, then Bleach continues with Ichigo and friends kicking Xcution's ass at 12. The 4-Tailed Fox craves snake soup on Shippuden at 12:30. Once Piece delves deep into Robin's past at 1 before team Dai-Gurren has to fend of fearsome Adiane the Elegant on Gurren Lagann 1:30. Then, the Vampires come out at 2 AM as Hellsing Ultimate brings you another awesome round of undead-on-undead action! After that, get ready for a great late late late night of classics, as Space Dandy returns at 3, Cowboy Bebop is next at 3:30, FMA:B at 4, a never-before-seen-on-Toonami episode of Ghost In The Shell at 4:30, The Big O at 5, and Samurai Jack at 5:30!

And we can finally finish the epic saga! InuYasha: The Final Act comes to Toonami November 15th at 2 AM!
Aunt Norma's Urn
cowboybebop18

Reply to ALchemist81 - Message ID#: 63829589

i KNEW the tim and eric movie would #### godzilla balls.

Up for 3 days, up for 3 days. down underground for 6 more.
Mysterious Ooze
Jeebus201

Bleach is ending, and this was confirmed by ANN.

This is notable since Bleach has been the sole thing keeping ASA afloat since anime Russo went off the deep end and got offended at even the slightest bit of cleavage or adult level violence. When Bleach ends, unless ASA gets a replacement show really, really quick that's as popular, the action block will die a painful death.
oh, for those obessed about anime promotion - please stop, youre just wrong. we cant even debate it because ive made a decent living by looking at promo schedules and ratings grids probably for longer than youve been alive. i can assure you that if anime promotion was the answer to anime success then youd see more anime promotion. cos then id be making more mad cash and wouldnt have to write things on the internet about anime. -Adult Swim President Mike Lazzo

http://vod.fxnetworks.com/watch/angermanagement - Full episodes of Anger Management. Because Charlie is winning, unlike Casshern Sins.
Hell's Minions
ALchemist81

Reply to cowboybebop18 - Message ID#: 63829727

As did I. Maybe it won't be as much of a self-shilling train wreck as the Chrimbus special.

I swear, if I go to the dollar theaters sometime in Late April and have to hear 2 hours of them shilling the movie on DVD, I'm gonna want my dollar back.

fuuuuuudge Tim & Eric. They had about 5 minutes of decent, LOL comedy in their whole 5-season "awesome show". "This is what I do, I sit on you," the "Poop Tube", and Prices...yeah, that's all that's really memorable.
HELLSING AND ISCARIOT HAVE SEEMINGLY JOINED FORCES AND ALL HELL HAS BROKEN LOOSE IN LONDON, BUT WILL ALUCARD EVER GET THE HELL OFF THE BOAT? FIND OUT THIS WEEK AT 2 AM, ONLY TOONAMI!!

But first, Attack On Titan shows Eren reluctant to kick his former comrade in arms Annie's ass, when she reveals herself to be the Female Titan at 11:30, then Bleach continues with Ichigo and friends kicking Xcution's ass at 12. The 4-Tailed Fox craves snake soup on Shippuden at 12:30. Once Piece delves deep into Robin's past at 1 before team Dai-Gurren has to fend of fearsome Adiane the Elegant on Gurren Lagann 1:30. Then, the Vampires come out at 2 AM as Hellsing Ultimate brings you another awesome round of undead-on-undead action! After that, get ready for a great late late late night of classics, as Space Dandy returns at 3, Cowboy Bebop is next at 3:30, FMA:B at 4, a never-before-seen-on-Toonami episode of Ghost In The Shell at 4:30, The Big O at 5, and Samurai Jack at 5:30!

And we can finally finish the epic saga! InuYasha: The Final Act comes to Toonami November 15th at 2 AM!
Scaredy Cat
_hack-SIGN_John

[ Edited ]

Reply to Sketchor - Message ID#: 63826623

I remain unconvinced that the CN premiere's now airing in the 8pm hr will do any worse airing in the 7pm hr. There is no ad market for A18-49 at CN. There is just 2-5, 6-11, 9-14, & then HH. There is no ad market for 12-24 either. That is wasted strength on CN. I'm not sure why that report considers 7PM ET PT because it's not. PT is 8-11PM ET. CN does not need PT on weekdays to be successful in it's ad market. With respect to CN's ad market, kids of all ages stay up later on the weekends. It's the opposite of adults. That's when PT should matter more to CN. The movie route has proven successful. CN should expand that to Fri & use it as a strong lead into their final hr.

I don't know what you were expecting with IY:FA. When did the last ep of IY air in 2006? In the Fall, weeknight LN. When was it announced they would do that? The upfront that yr. I'm not saying they will do a weeknight airing this yr, but I don't see how a delay coming after a delayed dub mind you suggests [as] has no interest in airing the final ep of an anime they have kept on thier network for over 10 yrs now.

Likewise, Bleach enjoys good DVD sales as anime's go these days. The suggestion that it's final ep would not get dubbed because it's ending in Japan is ludicrous.

Wrt to Clone Wars on [as], you have to look at the drop off between it and the #1 & #3 comedies on [as] right now. Those were strong #'s for a show that has next to nothing in humor, good pacing, great action, & solid drama. That is as far removed from the non FOX comedies as you can get on the network. There is more humor in Kekkaishi & Durr than there is in Clone Wars. After seeing what it did in the final hrs on a Sat night, & I had to confirm it's Fri A18-49 strength to rule out that it was just DVR recordings helping it. Those Fri #'s confirmed it's adult strength. Broken Blade & the Final Fantasy films have the two things that should appeal to Clone Wars fans: mecha & swords play. There are more such offerings but this is where [as] should start. While they are movies, they only fill a 90 min slot. If you look at the drop off betw the CW ep that Sat, there is reason to believe they should retain their strength over the full 90 min.
Show your support for all things anime by clicking on ads in a pro-anime thread.
Scaredy Cat
_hack-SIGN_John

[ Edited ]

Reply to _hack-SIGN_John - Message ID#: 63829927

The 3AM weeknight VCR/DVR slot should be reserved for classic [as] originals. It's not neccessary to air anime there because the classic [as] anime airs on Sats.

I mentioned encores for Sat premiere's on Thu because the [as] originals had been doing a #### poor job in the the 90 min prior to the repeat block on that night. [as] can either continue to that weak trend or try something new to improve those slots. Now that Bleach is the only premiere on Sat, offering 3 ep of Bleach is definitely something Bleach fans can't get on Sat.

You can't replace KotH with Clone Wars daily because drama's even rich with action like CW fall off quickly in daily runs. Lost used to be one of the most watched shows on TV. SyFy tried in block form & it failed miserably. Sitcoms typically do much better in repeat runs than dramas. That's why they are the favorite choice for syndicators. Drama's appeal to large book/manga audiences on their first run, but once the cat is out of the bag & the plot finished these viewers are not likely to pick up that book again. That' was true of Lost, & it will probably be true of Once Upon A Time when it finally finishes.

Mon 02/22 Cable HOGA is missing for CN, but I'm sure it would be as good or better than Planet 51. Movies on CN beat both KotH & AD in A18-49.
Show your support for all things anime by clicking on ads in a pro-anime thread.
Hell's Minions
ALchemist81

_hack-SIGN_John wrote:
Likewise, Bleach enjoys good DVD sales as anime's go these days. The suggestion that it's final ep would not get dubbed because it's ending in Japan is ludicrous.

Wrt to Clone Wars on [as], you have to look at the drop off between it and the #1 & #3 comedies on [as] right now. Those were strong #'s for a show that has next to nothing in humor, good pacing, great action, & solid drama. That is as far removed from the non FOX comedies as you can get on the network. There is more humor in Kekkaishi & Durr than there is in Clone Wars. After seeing what it did in the final hrs on a Sat night, & I had to confirm it's Fri A18-49 strength to rule out that it was just DVR recordings helping it. Those Fri #'s confirmed it's adult strength. Broken Blade & the Final Fantasy films have the two things that should appeal to Clone Wars fans: mecha & swords play. There are more such offerings but this is where [as] should start. While they are movies, they only fill a 90 min slot. If you look at the drop off betw the CW ep that Sat, there is reason to believe they should retain their strength over the full 90 min.

Fortunately, they've got a good amount of time to figure out if that will indeed be the case, and a lot of it hinges on Bleach's continuation timetable.  If the anime gets a conclusion season, and it begins in Fall 2012 or Spring 2013, hell yeah, as the one-episode-a-week pace will mean that the Arrancar Downfall arc hasn't even ended yet on [as].  If it doesn't happen until Fall 2013, it will probably be known about by [as] and announced in enough time for Studiopolis to go ahead with the arcs beyond Arrancar Downfall.  Spring 2014 would also be fine if they've decided to go ahead with the Fullbring arc.  Fall 2014 and beyond is a different story.  I say Bleach could still go from the current, ending series to the new series without a hitch a la Code Geass if the new series begins in Spring 2014 or earlier.  All indications are that Bleach is Viz's bread-and-butter outside of manga, so it might be foolish to believe they wouldn't dub the Fullbring arc after all.

And as for Star Wars: The Clone Wars, quite frankly I'm confused.  Are you saying that it's got good pacing, great action, & solid drama?  Or are you saying it's got none of that?  Maybe Adult Swim needs a new mecha anime...or Baccano!  I believed it was a long shot a few days ago, but after digging a little deeper, and seeing that Aniplex still has the distribution rights, not Funimation, I believe it's possible.  A new Aniplex block consisting of Baccano! at 12:30 and Madoka Magica at 1 would be a good way to get through the tough spring/summer ahead if [as] would otherwise go it with only Bleach Zanpakuto Rebellion filler episodes as they've been doing for the majority of the past few weeks.

Scaredy Cat
_hack-SIGN_John

[ Edited ]

Reply to ALchemist81 - Message ID#: 63830571

Clone Wars has good pacing, great action, & solid drama. The problem with Baccano is that if you agree with me & Durr's ending fell off the cliff, then you will just about puke over Baccano's ending. It's repeat value wouldn't be any better than Durr's. Baccano is a Funimation Channel offering but again 10's of 1000's doesn't compare with 100's of 1000's in terms of viewers. With both the Final Fantasy films as well as Broken Blade's 10 films you have a good, action-packed non-sophormoric conclusion. These should have good repeat values even though they are movies. Between them you can fill about 4 mo's in replace of FMA:B, Kekk, & Durr. Assuming they slash the credits, they might be able to squeeze these films into a 75 min space which would leave time for an RC ep after the film.

What about High School of the Dead? The Walking Dead is setting cable records for AMC. I would think there would be strong interest in HSD for ASA. They have a Talking Dead talk show that follows TWD so maybe that show could put in a plug for HSD.
Hell's Minions
Sketchor

[ Edited ]

Reply to _hack-SIGN_John - Message ID#: 63832091

HOG got 2.6 million total viewers and SpongeBob like kid's ratings with a 4.8 from 6-11. Over 1.5 million viewers for their demographic.

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2012/02/22/second-annual-cartoon
-network-hall-of-game-awards-nearly...

It may have beat Planet 51 with kids but that cannot be determined because the kids ratings for Planet 51 were not given. It sure didn't beat it with total viewers though. I'm not sure where it came from but I saw HOG got 0.3 with 18-49 slightly edging out the Fred show premiere on Nick but it lost to Fred in total viewers (most notably kids). 

I'm not implying Viz will stop dubbing Bleach until it ends though they have been known to cut dubs short. None of which were as successful as Bleach and no broadcast has not haulted Viz dubbing Naruto Shippuden either.

Are you talking about the first ending of Baccano or the ending to the third OVA episode? The OVA is good for expanding on the story of Jacuzi and Nice but it does leave the series off in a peculiar fasion. The actual 13 episode series is played out like Pulp Fiction so it jumps around and follows many characters. I don't feel the ending falls off a cliff. The mystery is solved and explanation is given for why all hell broke loose on that train. Granted there's still more story to tell but I rarely see anyone say Baccano was not a satisfying watch. It's probably too late to bother with Baccano since it's been on Hulu for years but I'd always welcome it airing and expect much like Bebop it could find an audience no matter how long it's been around.

DRR's biggest problem is it focused on the wrong story in the second half. You set up a great mystery and solve it pretty remarkably fast and then instead of focusing on the bada.ss bartender, the psychotic guy pulling everyone's strings or the alluring headless rider they focus on the teenagers that most people didn't give a crap about from day 1. Supposedly the novels get better but that's as far as they adapated which means it had a rather ho hum conclusion in the second half.

You might have something with the CW 90 minutes theory. It basically played out like a movie but we still have years worth of data that suggests even Bleach movies are not good draws.

High School of the Dead is rumored to be one of the two shows that Adult Swim was considering based on two crossed out names in a bump that aired late in 2011. The problem is if it was one of those crossed out names then it was rejected due to fanservice and that's kind of understandable because High School of the Dead is oversaturated in fanservice. While plenty of people would agree that's the kind of anime Adult Swim should actually be playing, they are not going to play it. This is the part where Jeebus complains about the shackles on the action block making it worthless.

I still very much disagree with moving CN's other big premieres to the 7PM hour much less 7PM ending the night at 7:30PM which would really only allow for one premiere unless they creeped into the 6PM hour and that's a wee bit early for premieres. Airing those premieres on the weekend would be unwise because they will inevitably lose to Disney on Friday, Saturday and Sunday. I don't think you realize how damaging that would be for them to lose their remaining victories on weekdays. The wall is too high to climb on the weekend. CN keeps up with Nick on weekdays with 6-11 and 9-14 but on weekends Nick usually doubles what CN manages to pull in. Besides, viewers don't like change and the more you move shows around the less likely viewers are to follow them. This is true of Adult Swim as well. That's why they don't change their weekday schedule that often.

HELPeR for the TOONAMI, Mobile Suit Gundam, Dragon Ball Z, Harvey Birdman and Perfect Hair Forever boards. Feel free to ask me anything on those topics.

sketch only puts the arrogant whiney punks in their place... sort of like batman, except on the {AS} boards - THECZAROFGNAR

Sketch, should we make sure it's imprinted on your grave stone "He felt very strongly that Bleach belonged on Toonami!" - .hack-SIGN_John

"We aknowledged that Toonami is cooler than us... and they aknowledged that we're full of ****." [adult swim]
Squire
Dark_Lord_Khrima

[ Edited ]

I saw Billion Dollar Movie a couple nights ago and it was really good in parts! Other parts were kind of bland, but if you watch it with a friend then it's really really fun. It was also a lot better than the Chrimbus Special, which I admitedly didn't enjoy too much (except the Carol parts, those were hilarious).

Creepy Doll
comedyswimfan089

Technically, 7pm-8pm is as prime time as 11pm-11:30pm is.  Just not as widespread of usage as it is for the 8p-11p.
Just TV networks label those as "Prime Time Access" because that is the slots of prime time reserved to the affiliates to air whatever they want.  FCC requirement too that local affiliates must be given an hour of prime time for their own purposes, to which syndicated programming rules.

Hell's Minions
Sketchor

Reply to comedyswimfan089 - Message ID#: 63835935

FOX on Sunday for instance, they use 7PM for prime time sometimes even for premieres at 7:30PM.

HELPeR for the TOONAMI, Mobile Suit Gundam, Dragon Ball Z, Harvey Birdman and Perfect Hair Forever boards. Feel free to ask me anything on those topics.

sketch only puts the arrogant whiney punks in their place... sort of like batman, except on the {AS} boards - THECZAROFGNAR

Sketch, should we make sure it's imprinted on your grave stone "He felt very strongly that Bleach belonged on Toonami!" - .hack-SIGN_John

"We aknowledged that Toonami is cooler than us... and they aknowledged that we're full of ****." [adult swim]
Mysterious Ooze
Jeebus201

Reply to Sketchor - Message ID#: 63834643

Sketchor wrote:

High School of the Dead is rumored to be one of the two shows that Adult Swim was considering based on two crossed out names in a bump that aired late in 2011. The problem is if it was one of those crossed out names then it was rejected due to fanservice and that's kind of understandable because High School of the Dead is oversaturated in fanservice. While plenty of people would agree that's the kind of anime Adult Swim should actually be playing, they are not going to play it. This is the part where Jeebus complains about the shackles on the action block making it worthless.

Well, can I?

You know, Atkins back in the day probably wouldn't have batted an eye at airing it on Toonami.  Hell, he probably would have thrown in Queen's Blade and Tiger & Bunny to boot.  Just air them after Batman Beyond!  That would have been the most kickass two hours of TV since well...DBZ, Gundam Wing and BTAS aired right after the other.

When did Williams Street's collective anime choices become so bad?  Was it just overnight?  And now Bleach is set to end in a year...two tops if they keep airing one a week and don't double it up.  It just makes me shake my head. 

oh, for those obessed about anime promotion - please stop, youre just wrong. we cant even debate it because ive made a decent living by looking at promo schedules and ratings grids probably for longer than youve been alive. i can assure you that if anime promotion was the answer to anime success then youd see more anime promotion. cos then id be making more mad cash and wouldnt have to write things on the internet about anime. -Adult Swim President Mike Lazzo

http://vod.fxnetworks.com/watch/angermanagement - Full episodes of Anger Management. Because Charlie is winning, unlike Casshern Sins.
Hell's Minions
Sketchor

Reply to Jeebus201 - Message ID#: 63837303

Jeebus201 wrote:

Sketchor wrote:

Well, can I?

You know, Atkins back in the day probably wouldn't have batted an eye at airing it on Toonami.  Hell, he probably would have thrown in Queen's Blade and Tiger & Bunny to boot.  Just air them after Batman Beyond!  That would have been the most kickass two hours of TV since well...DBZ, Gundam Wing and BTAS aired right after the other.

When did Williams Street's collective anime choices become so bad?  Was it just overnight?  And now Bleach is set to end in a year...two tops if they keep airing one a week and don't double it up.  It just makes me shake my head. 

That's a stretch there wouldn't be much left of either Queen's Blade or High School of the Dead had they aired on Toonami cut to Y7-FV. Tenchi Muyo is remarkably tame besides nudity. Aktins wanted Trigun and Cowboy Bebop and neither were given the okay for Toonami though mostly for gun usage in Trigun's case.

Though if he had no limits I'm sure he'd be all over airing plenty of violent and fanservice heavy shows. But it wasn't until Naruto that they were allowed to air even PG shows regularly and it remained the exception to the rule.

WS' anime selections got questionable as early on as Adult Swim Action's first Saturday line-up but Witch Hunter Robin probably started the trend of dull action dramas. They've picked up at least one of those every couple of years ever since.

Mysterious Ooze
Jeebus201

[ Edited ]

Reply to Sketchor - Message ID#: 63838399

And they've all went over like lead balloons. 

The Outlaw Stars, the Triguns, those were the shows people wanted to see.  Not this endless deluge of boring garbage.  That's the problem.   Anime Vince Russo is in love with boring garbage.   People wanted Gungrave, not Paranoia Agent.  They wanted GunxSword or Godannar, they got Eureka 7.   There were so many bad choices made, that is it any wonder the anime audience dried up and people went elsewhere, legal or otherwise for their fix?  Adult Swim Action became a laughingstock in a few years time, with shows like Witch Hunter Robin leading the charge.

To the person who keeps picking them- GET BETTER TASTE AND STOP BEING SUCH A GOD-#### PRUDE.

Creepy Doll
comedyswimfan089

Reply to Sketchor - Message ID#: 63836789

Sketchor wrote:

FOX on Sunday for instance, they use 7PM for prime time sometimes even for premieres at 7:30PM.

Sundays is the odd one because the networks program the 7-8p hour.  Always have been that way.
But technically prime time is 7:00-11:30.

Creepy Doll
comedyswimfan089

Reply to Jeebus201 - Message ID#: 63838431

Jeebus201 wrote:

The Outlaw Stars, the Triguns, those were the shows people wanted to see.  Not this endless deluge of boring garbage.  That's the problem.   Anime Vince Russo is in love with boring garbage.   People wanted Gungrave, not Paranoia Agent.  They wanted GunxSword or Godannar, they got Eureka 7.   There were so many bad choices made, that is it any wonder the anime audience dried up and people went elsewhere, legal or otherwise for their fix?  Adult Swim Action became a laughingstock in a few years time, with shows like Witch Hunter Robin leading the charge.

To the person who keeps picking them- GET BETTER TASTE AND STOP BEING SUCH A GOD-#### PRUDE.

People want Elfin Lied too, yet the cuts kill it.  So they go with stuff that doesn't need to be virtually trimmed so much.  Less work to do. 

Hell's Minions
Sketchor

[ Edited ]

Reply to comedyswimfan089 - Message ID#: 63839347

They even wanted to play it, probably because it pandered to their psuedo-intellectual preferences on top of being remarkably violent but I digress.

Angel Beats is looking all the more plausible.

However...

I just came across this show called Night Raid 1931, it's a diamond in the rough that was recently dubbed

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/anime.php?id=11228

Here's a brief description:

In 1931, as the world is on the brink of war, the Imperial Japanese Army is occupying mainland China, and the Sakurai -- a special military spy organization of psychics -- tackles conspiracies and political intrigue in Shanghai.

It's 13 episodes and two OVAs (or more maybe it's a bit unclear).

The action is exciting and it has great animation but it's not overly violent and I've yet to see fanservice.

It has very western sensibilities similar Cowboy Bebop, Ghost in the Shell, Darker than Black and Baccano.

Mysterious Ooze
Jeebus201

Reply to Sketchor - Message ID#: 63840297

This may upset some, but I hated Elfen Lied. It was snuff fetish disguised as some great debate about nature vs nurture. And while that plot would be interesting in a competent narrative (and from what I understand the TV show does better) the show is far more interested in making everyone an unsympathetic ####, which serves to answer the question they laid out immediately. Everyone's born a jerk. So they add in gorn to make it seem smarter and edgier than the narrative is.

The 1930's are sort of a lost time period in history books since America was rightfully focused on the Great Depression. I remember reading about this story mostly because people were worried China would see it as glorifying the Japanese/China war, a VERY sore spot for the Chinese due the numerous atrocities committed during Japan's occupation.

That said, do we REALLY need another slow moving, boring, content light drama? When they're aired as a compliment to action heavy shows, fine. When they're aired at point, with the other new shows also dullfests or the intellectual equivalent of Digimon, it won't work. Again prudish tastes doom the block.

Hell's Minions
ALchemist81

Reply to Jeebus201 - Message ID#: 63843773

Update: we've got some new numbers, and they're pretty good for Saturday anime:

http://thevoiceoftv.com/nielsen-tv-ratings/adult-swim-ratings-feb
ruary-13-19-2012/

Yeah, that's right. Bleach (#63) back in the upper 1200k's, FMA:B (#116) back in the mid-to-upper 900k's, and Durarara!! (#134) cracked 800k. It's a far cry from when the 3 series were still in premieres late last summer, but still, if we're not gonna get anything new anytime soon, that's what I like to see.

The Boondocks final Saturday also did minblowingly well, averaging 1730.5k and cracking the Top 30. I think that series is gonna be just fine at 12:30 AM on Weeknights, providing an interlude of action to a comedy wasteland on Monday-Wednesday and Friday.

And finally, the worst rated slot of the week? NOT Anime, but the Squidbillies' new Sunday night 9:30-10 AM timeslot (#149-150), but STILL over 500k. Brotherhood's encore was 3rd from the bottom (#148) with 523k, just edging out the higher Squids. And the heavily-advertised King of the Hill at 9 got it's ass handed to it by ad-blacked-out Kekkaishi and Fooly Cooly.

The encores didn't do that bad this time, especially Bleach, which came in at #143 with 658k, over half its premiere rating. This leads me to wonder if word-of-mouth isn't a factor for a ratings boost when a Bleach episode really is this action-heavy, and people who weren't watching Bleach at 12 AM for whatever reason were being told by their buddies to check it out at 4 AM after getting in from a night of partying hearty. But it is also worth noting that the entire classics block also cracked 600k. Could that scenario have been the case for 20k-30k people? I sorta doubt it,

Finally, Friday night Family Guy claimed the #1 and #2 spots, proving what we knew all along: that night was just full of untapped potential, no doubt aided by a hot new premiere of American Dad?? No, that seems to not be the case, as the premiere AD (#23) was bested by Saturday's FG (#20). Oh, and on that note, Monday's FG premiere was only #10.

Finally, the first hour on Sunday night clearly has a problem. I say it has potential as a 2nd encore block for anime (only from 9-10 PM) if they pick up 2 new series but still want to provide encore time to FMA:B and Durarara!! Or giving Star Wars: Clone Wars a permanent slot there. Because what you wanna do is run something as far removed from Animation Domination as possible, and not try fruitlessly to split its audience. Last Sunday was also kinda dull compared to the rest of the Sundays in February (Super Bowl, Grammys, and Oscars), so they can't use that as an excuse. FMA:B and Durarara!! are not too intense for 9PM Sunday and I daresay they could do better there than played-out episodes of Hank and Squids. If it was timed with Episode 27 of FMA:B as well as 13 of Durarara, it would be perfect. Alternatively, air Bleach there, starting at 190. Bleach would be a solid lead-in to KOTH or FG at 10. Better than the Squidbillies anyway.

Howl of the Hobgoblin
JQuest15

Reply to comedyswimfan089 - Message ID#: 63839347

comedyswimfan089 wrote:

Jeebus201 wrote:

People want Elfin Lied too, yet the cuts kill it.  So they go with stuff that doesn't need to be virtually trimmed so much.  Less work to do. 

Yeah, no need to dumb it down for the American audience. They already do that with any anime that i've seen brought over here so far as i can tell.

Hell's Minions
Sketchor

[ Edited ]

Reply to Jeebus201 - Message ID#: 63843773

Jeebus201 wrote:
This may upset some, but I hated Elfen Lied. It was snuff fetish disguised as some great debate about nature vs nurture. And while that plot would be interesting in a competent narrative (and from what I understand the TV show does better) the show is far more interested in making everyone an unsympathetic ####, which serves to answer the question they laid out immediately. Everyone's born a jerk. So they add in gorn to make it seem smarter and edgier than the narrative is.

The 1930's are sort of a lost time period in history books since America was rightfully focused on the Great Depression. I remember reading about this story mostly because people were worried China would see it as glorifying the Japanese/China war, a VERY sore spot for the Chinese due the numerous atrocities committed during Japan's occupation.

That said, do we REALLY need another slow moving, boring, content light drama? When they're aired as a compliment to action heavy shows, fine. When they're aired at point, with the other new shows also dullfests or the intellectual equivalent of Digimon, it won't work. Again prudish tastes doom the block.

Night Raid isn't really prudeish it's just not loaded with fanservice from what I've seen and it doesn't use bad comedy to break the tension it uses well executed action scenes. It's about infiltrating and going under cover and it's thus far episodic (I'm two episodes in and can't hardly wait to watch more). One episode involves stopping a prostitution ring but the sexiest things you see is a buxom woman's bare legs and some old perv tries to take advantage of an unconscience girl. So that isn't to say there wont be something sexy later but the solid action more makes the show far from boring.

Hell's Minions
Sketchor

[ Edited ]

Reply to ALchemist81 - Message ID#: 63844819

Wow almost 2 million for Family Guy on Saturday. That's even better than Star Wars night. The Boondocks also beat Robot Chicken Star Wars III that night in total viewers.

Nice to see Bleach around 1 million and FMA: Brotherhood almost made a million which is pretty good. Durarara beat Kekkaishi as well.

Well Squidbillies at 9:30PM sure isn't working out. It can't even get enough younger viewers at 9:30 to supplement the loss of 18-49. Just put both episodes of King of the Hill in the 9 hour or try action for an hour because they're going to keep losing badly to FOX. But Squidbillies did particularly bad for that slot.