MasterKitteh
Sketchor

Toonami Timeslot

Reply to Hiro94 - Message ID#: 64346827

If they could get good enough ratings 9-12 on Saturday without Family Guy and The Boondocks by improving the average of those 3 hours with popular mainstream appealing action shows they may be willing to give that time to action. Unlikely but not impossible.

IMO action 9 pm - 2 am or 3 am and comedy the remaining hours would improve their Saturday overnight average a lot. And anime viewers often gripe about shows airing too late and that could aleviate that situation.

Tacking some American action shows up front might be enough to draw more mainstream viewers. Kick-off with Star Wars and new ThunderCats at 9. They get better adult ratings than some shows on Adult Swim.

I don't entirely like the idea of Toonami being just anime when super heroes and other American action icons were always a part of the full Toonami experience but that is what most people want out of Toonami these days so give them what they want I guess. Very few American action series suit Toonami on AS, The Hub got Batman and Batman Beyond and ReBoot while nostalgic for adults is better off marketed at kids still. What has potential are shows deemed unsuccessful with kids such as Megas XLR, Sym-Bionic Titan and Samurai Jack. I would not be the least bit opposed to reruns of Young Justice and Green Lantern because they have alot of adult appeal but none of those American series really fit in well with TV-14 anime so they'd fit best around 9 pm or 5 am for warm-up or cool down.
HELPeR for the TOONAMI, Mobile Suit Gundam, Dragon Ball Z, Harvey Birdman and Perfect Hair Forever boards. Feel free to ask me anything on those topics.

sketch only puts the arrogant whiney punks in their place... sort of like batman, except on the {AS} boards - THECZAROFGNAR

Sketch, should we make sure it's imprinted on your grave stone "He felt very strongly that Bleach belonged on Toonami!" - .hack-SIGN_John

"We aknowledged that Toonami is cooler than us... and they aknowledged that we're full of ****." [adult swim]
MasterKitteh
itsacoaster

Re: Toonami Timeslot

[ Edited ]

Reply to Dark_Lord_Khrima - Message ID#: 64376741

I think one point you do have is that if a Toonami were to air on Adult Swim--and that's where I think it will be if it comes back--will you be able to find American TV shows that have appeal for 18-34s. (Ed. Note: I just read Sketchor's post, and it's interesting that some CN shows get good adult ratings. I don't follow CN ratings so closely.) Adult Swim will not put Y7 stuff on its network. There are a few PG shows on Cartoon Network--one we've omitted is Green Lantern. But is that fodder for AS's demo? It will be interesting to watch to see what happens. Maybe they'll make a play for the 12-17 demo in addition to 18-34s by starting Toonami at 9pm, but that would probably exclude any TV-MA programs. It's an interesting thought experiment to say the least, and it's something for us board denizens to ponder over.

Regarding old shows, I think it's probably appropriate to add a couple of old shows for nostalgia's sake, aired uncut at TV-PG or 14. But a lot of the posts around here are like "I want to see Sailor Moon, Gundam Wing, Outlaw Star, Tenchi, Hamtaro..." No. Everybody's already seen those. There's plenty of newish stuff out there that would probably work great, it's just a matter of spending money to acquire those shows.
"And we get stuff like Two and a Half Men and Dane Cook and everybody sleepwalks through their little lives and eventually death's sleep comes." - SwimMod_Luuv
"Seth McFarlene [sic] is ####ing Mike Lazzo." - dudeco
"He's correct on all fronts" - 770312 talking about itsacoaster
AIM: itsacoaster | My Anime List | Index of Lucy clips on AS video
Praise Rang in the highest. Hosanna.
My website that I never update
MasterKitteh
Sketchor

Toonami Timeslot

Ah but not everybody HAS seen those old shows. So they have some freshness to them compared to what AS has always had around.

But don't pay a ton of money for old shows unless they are sure to bring in a crowd.

Brand new series should continue to be part of the AS anime programming strategy.
HELPeR for the TOONAMI, Mobile Suit Gundam, Dragon Ball Z, Harvey Birdman and Perfect Hair Forever boards. Feel free to ask me anything on those topics.

sketch only puts the arrogant whiney punks in their place... sort of like batman, except on the {AS} boards - THECZAROFGNAR

Sketch, should we make sure it's imprinted on your grave stone "He felt very strongly that Bleach belonged on Toonami!" - .hack-SIGN_John

"We aknowledged that Toonami is cooler than us... and they aknowledged that we're full of ****." [adult swim]
MasterKitteh
itsacoaster

[ Edited ]

Reply to Sketchor - Message ID#: 64377653

I thought the hyperbole was implicit but apparently not.

Airing shows that played in the year 2000 will not bring viewership in general. That's a recipe for failure. And that's what is in a lot of these suggestions for programming to air: all old shows. That won't work.

Maybe DBZ would have some nostalgia value. If they want to air Tenchi OVA 3, maybe pick up the first two. Uncut Outlaw Star? Possibly. But beyond a couple of token reairings for nostalgia's sake, they should focus on recent stuff. As you allude to, perhaps they could get these shows for cheap as part of a bigger package.
"And we get stuff like Two and a Half Men and Dane Cook and everybody sleepwalks through their little lives and eventually death's sleep comes." - SwimMod_Luuv
KittehHotshot
Saito34

[ Edited ]

Reply to Sketchor - Message ID#: 64377653

OMG cutting the anime action block off at 2 or even 3am is the absolute worst idea. Watching my shows into the wee hours of Sunday morning when the rest of the world is asleep is where a lot of the enjoyment comes from. There is nothing cozier than ending the night with Inuyasha at 5:30am. Seriously, watching it so late is half of the appeal. Come on now. Start Toonami at 9pm, sprinkle in an American show for good measure, but the majority of the night should be anime new or old. I am not about to give up my ASA that easy...sorry folks but it should be all about anime on Saturdays.

KittehStar
Ranlsa

Reply to Saito34 - Message ID#: 64377833

Saito34 wrote:

OMG cutting the anime action block off at 2 or even 3am is the absolute worst idea. Watching my shows into the wee hours of Sunday morning when the rest of the world is asleep is where a lot of the enjoyment comes from. There is nothing cozier than ending the night with Inuyasha at 5:30am. Seriously, watching it so late is half of the appeal. Come on now. Start Toonami at 9pm, sprinkle in an American show for good measure, but the majority of the night should be anime new or old. I am not about to give up my ASA that easy...sorry folks but it should be all about anime on Saturdays.

I think I found my brand new best friend!!!  :smileyvery-happy:

GOD, cutting it off at 3?! No way in hell, I need Big O and Ghost In The Shell to wrap up my night. I'd miss the chats we have over at the anime boards, it's one of the highlights of my Saturday nights!

Yeah, all you Family Guy lovers, you can do without for ONE night! start Toonami at 9 and let us have our one night!

Cowboy Bebop, R.I.P.
We will never forget...

Never underestimate a girl- never underestimate Balsa!
Long live Motoko Kusinagi!

Fall down 7 times...get up 8.

See ya, Space Cowboys and Cowgirls!
KittehStar
Ranlsa

Reply to Dark_Lord_Khrima - Message ID#: 64376741

Dark_Lord_Khrima wrote:

I can imagine some older people tuning in to 10-15 year old shows from their childhood on AS, but kids at least aren't going to be watching these. No one in the 9-14 demographic is like, "Man I really miss Tenchi, I want to see that again!"

They'd probably look at it and go, "Why are all these girls fighting over a male who is moderately attractive at best? Is that the whole show? What the hell, I'm missing ICarly premiers for this?"

Uh, "kids"  age 9-14 shouldn;'t be up past midnight anyway!  I was neverr allowed to be up past midnight until I was at least 18, and weekends only!

Cowboy Bebop, R.I.P.
We will never forget...

KittehStar
Ranlsa

Reply to itsacoaster - Message ID#: 64373273

itsacoaster wrote:
Well, nothing's final, and we don't even know if they're going to end up doing this Toonami thing, so I guess we'll have to wait and see what they do.

FG airs every day because it regularly gets well over a million viewers in the demo, not because AS is kowtowing to the wishes of MacFarlane disciples over those of anime fans. By the way, where are those disciples you speak of? I don't see any, not on this message board.

Let's just take a wait-and-see approach.

Maybe not on THIS message board, but they're probably in the comedy boards. I don;t go into the comedy boards, so I wouldn't know or care either way.

But people HAVE to be watching this #### show in order for it to be popular enough to run it every. Single. Night.  Every. Single. Night. I  mean, that's what got it to be uncencelled from FOX! 

(honestly, can't they go without it for ONE day?!)

Cowboy Bebop, R.I.P.
We will never forget...

MasterKitteh
itsacoaster

[ Edited ]

Reply to Ranlsa - Message ID#: 64378053

I spend almost all my time in the comedy boards and I can affirm that very nearly nobody is there to talk about Family Guy. Usually, the shows with niche appeal are what brings people to message boards. Same goes for anime.
KittehHotshot
Saito34

[ Edited ]

Reply to Ranlsa - Message ID#: 64377951

Ranlsa wrote:

Saito34 wrote:

GOD, cutting it off at 3?! No way in hell, I need Big O and Ghost In The Shell to wrap up my night. I'd miss the chats we have over at the anime boards, it's one of the highlights of my Saturday nights!

Yeah, all you Family Guy lovers, you can do without for ONE night! start Toonami at 9 and let us have our one night!

:smileytongue: Awesome...nice to officially meet you Ransla!! Atleast I know there are others who feel the same. I do make note of who is hanging around the boards on Saturdays and it's most often you and Alchemist81. We seem to have a similar love for the anime block that extends beyond simply watching TV. I hope there are others out there that feel the same way . I know change is inevitable and the block can't stay if it's not holding its weight in the advertising world, but I would be really sad if it disappeared or changed drastically. The thought of Family Guy or one of those ####e live action comedy atrocities airing in one of my beloved Saturday timeslots is sickening!

KittehNub
PaperFox19

return saturday to the anime it keeps getting pushed back

9pm-4:30 am

9 pm boondocks

930 bleach

10 pm DBZ uncut

1030 Yuyu hakusho

11 Fma brotherhood

11:30 Kekkaishi

12pm FLCL

1230 Outlaw Star

1 Cowboy Bebop

130 Durarara

thats just the start toonami had tons of shows that could improve with the adult swim banner

want toonami to appeal it will theres tons of anime to play with that toonami can show heck it showed sailormoon and cardcaptors for a time and they were hits

show ouran highschool host club, my bride is a mermaid, both humorous with some action in them for flavor both dubbed by funimation

show fairy tail, A rising anime being dubbed by funimation its awesome hilarious and the fight scenes and music is crazy awesome

wanna show comedy show sgt frog mostly dubbed already and its crazy funny

wanna show a replacement for inuyasha, show Ranma 1/2 funny actiony love rivals romance crazy love charms all the way dubbed by viz

want something magical with humor and action Maburaho or Negima

want soemthing scary show Highschool of the Dead all the way dubbed

show Tenchi Muyo GXP the final tenchi series all dubbed

toonami is nostalgic but can get a fresh coat of paint anyone remember what tom origianlly looked like to what he looks like now fresh coat of paint people millions of possibilities give toonami a chance!!

MasterKitteh
itsacoaster

[ Edited ]

Reply to PaperFox19 - Message ID#: 64380099

PaperFox19 wrote:

show Tenchi Muyo GXP the final tenchi series all dubbed

Tenchi Muyo GXP is horrible. This from a lifelong Tenchi fan.
Squire
Dark_Lord_Khrima

Reply to itsacoaster - Message ID#: 64378091

itsacoaster wrote:
I spend almost all my time in the comedy boards and I can affirm that very nearly nobody is there to talk about Family Guy. Usually, the shows with niche appeal are what brings people to message boards. Same goes for anime.
I would talk about Family Guy if I wasn't the only person there who liked it. Family Guy is one of my favorite shows. >_>
Though granted I'm actually much happier to talk about WS origionals since I have very few friends IRL to talk about those with.
KittehFan
BoanThugsInHarmony

[ Edited ]

Well, we have no idea if Toonami will be a repackaging for ASA, or if it will make a full-fledged return so it could have airtime outside ASA's 6 hours.

Here are my ideas:

Mon-Fri, any time slot from 2:00PM to 6:00PM. Basically, like an after-school block that we all grew up with. The best shows suited for this would be DBZ and

Saturdays could be used to prop up ASA, like it did during the TOM 3.0 era. Anywhere from evening until the night. I can't stress this enough though: we have no indication on whether Toonami will be a re-packaging for ASA.

I also think that the Midnight-Run should be aired on Weeknights to air long-running anime and/or old anime too.

And if we're real lucky, we could get the Rising Sun again. But, the shows will have to comply to FCC's daytime standards, so throw DBZ and something else on the block and call it a day.

hi
hi
hi
MasterKitteh
ZorakFan3271

Reply to Dark_Lord_Khrima - Message ID#: 64380821

Dark_Lord_Khrima wrote:

itsacoaster wrote:
I would talk about Family Guy if I wasn't the only person there who liked it. Family Guy is one of my favorite shows. >_>
Though granted I'm actually much happier to talk about WS origionals since I have very few friends IRL to talk about those with.

Seconded. 

I need a break from the internet
MasterKitteh
Sketchor

Reply to Ranlsa - Message ID#: 64377951

Ranlsa wrote:

Saito34 wrote:

Cutting off at 3 doesn't mean dropping anything, it'll still be 6 hours but it will be at an easier time to watch for most people who value some semblence of sleep.

This is what I mean

09:00 PM - Dragon Ball Z / ThunderCats

09:30 PM - InuYasha

10:00 PM - Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood

10:30 PM - Bleach

11:00 PM - New Anime

11:30 PM - Tenchi Muyo / Trigun / Outlaw Star

12:00 AM - Durarara

12:30 AM - The Big O

01:00 AM - Cowboy Bebop

01:30 AM - Ghost in the Shell

02:00 AM - Bleach

02:30 AM - New Anime Encore

Why object to that? Too early for you? Cause I'd say running worth while shows until 3AM-6AM would be a waste.

This would of course start after Kekkaishi ends or whatever.

KittehStar
Ranlsa

Reply to Saito34 - Message ID#: 64378325

Saito34 wrote:

Ranlsa wrote:

Saito34 wrote:

:smileytongue: Awesome...nice to officially meet you Ransla!! Atleast I know there are others who feel the same. I do make note of who is hanging around the boards on Saturdays and it's most often you and Alchemist81. We seem to have a similar love for the anime block that extends beyond simply watching TV. I hope there are others out there that feel the same way . I know change is inevitable and the block can't stay if it's not holding its weight in the advertising world, but I would be really sad if it disappeared or changed drastically. The thought of Family Guy or one of those ####e live action comedy atrocities airing in one of my beloved Saturday timeslots is sickening!

Awesome!! Why don;t ya come join us? There's plenty of room for one more in the anime boards, and we always have a lot of fun here! Come on and join, there's always room for one more.

Cowboy Bebop, R.I.P.
We will never forget...

KittehPunk
Saint1230

[ Edited ]

Reply to Ranlsa - Message ID#: 64357065

I'd take out that encore of bleah for an episode of DBZ earlier in the timeslot 

When in doubt, plant a claymore.
KittehStar
Ranlsa

Reply to Saint1230 - Message ID#: 64383483

I guess my friend wanted the encore cause that's the only new anime shown right now, and the encore is in case anyone misses it.

Cowboy Bebop, R.I.P.
We will never forget...

KittehStar
Ranlsa

Reply to Sketchor - Message ID#: 64382527

Sketchor wrote:

Ranlsa wrote:

Saito34 wrote:

Cutting off at 3 doesn't mean dropping anything, it'll still be 6 hours but it will be at an easier time to watch for most people who value some semblence of sleep.

This is what I mean

Why object to that? Too early for you? Cause I'd say running worth while shows until 3AM-6AM would be a waste.

Sketchor wrote:

Ranlsa wrote:

Saito34 wrote:

This is what I mean

I admit, that's not too bad either. I like that too.

But I think Kekkashi's already ended.

Cowboy Bebop, R.I.P.
We will never forget...

KittehStar
Ranlsa

Reply to ZorakFan3271 - Message ID#: 64382427

ZorakFan3271 wrote:

Dark_Lord_Khrima wrote:

itsacoaster wrote:

Seconded. 

Well, both of you can live without it for ONE night, right? All we ask is ONE night.

Cowboy Bebop, R.I.P.
We will never forget...

MasterKitteh
ZorakFan3271

[ Edited ]

Reply to Ranlsa - Message ID#: 64384641

Hell, have all the nights, doesn't bother me. Adult Swim isn't the only place with Family Guy.

Just leave Sundays and Thursdays for WS comedy premieres; and I'm good.

I need a break from the internet
KittehHotshot
Saito34

[ Edited ]

Reply to Ranlsa - Message ID#: 64382543

Ranlsa wrote:

Awesome!! Why don;t ya come join us? There's plenty of room for one more in the anime boards, and we always have a lot of fun here! Come on and join, there's always room for one more.

I will definitely be hanging out this weekend and I will be sure to pop in and join you guys...you all seem like a lot of fun :smileyhappy:.  I am really curious about what goes down anyways. I would not be shocked to see the action block unchanged, but I find it odd if the programmers decide not to take advantage of this opportunity to give the viewers what they want.

And yes ending the action block at 3AM would be bad in my eyes. Again, the late night action block is all about watching some of my favorite shows on live TV late late late at night. If it's such a disposable time frame why not air more anime and keep some of the faithfuls happy. Saturday nights IMO feel like the last true reflection of what made AS and Toonami so cool and memorable in the first place. Cutting it off early and airing more FG reruns would be the final nail in the coffin for me.

MasterKitteh
itsacoaster

[ Edited ]

Reply to Saito34 - Message ID#: 64390263

It would probably take months to get a real Toonami block going, to make proper bumpers, ink new contracts, acquire new shows, etc. So while you shouldn't get your hopes up too high, don't be too disappointed when they don't air Toonami this weekend, either.
KittehStar
Ranlsa

Reply to ZorakFan3271 - Message ID#: 64389029

ZorakFan3271 wrote:

Hell, have all the nights, doesn't bother me. Adult Swim isn't the only place with Family Guy.

Just leave Sundays and Thursdays for WS comedy premieres; and I'm good.

All we want is Satruday. You can keep the rest.

Cowboy Bebop, R.I.P.
We will never forget...