Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
SwimNerd
goobbman

why do ppl hate anime so much?

im trying to figer out why people hate anime so much know i am a fan of anime but i want to know why ppl hate anime

like if u hate anime tell me why im trying to figer this out and well this is probly the best place to find out why ppl in the usa hate anime

so try and explain to me why you hate anime:smileyvery-happy: :smileyvery-happy: :smileyvery-happy:

if u are not your self then who are u
if u pretend to be someone els that's sad
be your self not what others what you to be
dad... dad im a...ya im not a crazed gun men im a assassin... there's a different ones a mental sickness and ones a job- sniper from TF2
Order of the Owl
FieryDoom

Re: why do ppl hate anime so much?

Reply to goobbman - Message ID#: 49494369

i don't hate anime.

i hate otakus. 

the People's Republic of Venturethe Forum | the Site | the WiKi | the Twitter

The-Big-Steamy-Thing wrote:
Somebody should put up Stop signs in the ocean. That way the sharks would see them, stop and then die.

SwimPunk
tangerine1490

because it is all done in the same bloody style - artwork, character expressions, the animation itself - all the time.  the only anime i've ever seen to deviate from the same old crap was "record of lodoss war", which i loved.  but other than that, no.  the ridiculous "vibrating eyeballs", as i like to call them, are but one example of the generic, overdone look and feel of most anime.  another is the old famous still shot of the character, while a colorful "background" flies by.  i could see using those animations once or twice, but almost all of them share those two things - shaky eyes and fly-by backgrounds during action sequences.  is there no other style?  even the way characters look is so overdone it's generic.  big arse eyes, pointed chin, crazy bloody "space hair", tiny mouth, just no.  come up with something different!  like any form of art or entertainment: people can only put up with the same old crap for so long, so DO SOMETHING NEW.  and this only covers the look of anime.  i won't get into the ludicrous storylines, so full of name-dropping that the script could pass for monty python material in "the meaning of life".  it's like, "let's see how many times we can say 'inuyasha' in this episode!", and i'd wager in any given episode, it's said no less than twenty times.  and this doesn't count the other bloody names being tossed around CONSTANTLY.  just so lame, in my opinion.
Salesperson of the month at Mahanahan's Child Clown Outlet
Roadie for Casey and his Brother '94 World Tour
SwimIcon
Conan_Edogawa420

The same reason people hate T&E. It's just not their thing and instead of letting everyone else enjoy it they like to kvetch and take some of the fun out of it for everyone else instead of changing the channel. You know how it goes "If I can't enjoy it then I'll make sure no one else does."
SwimNerd
goobbman

Reply to tangerine1490 - Message ID#: 49494522

ty man and not to agru with u or any thingbut not all anime has the theme like but this is a little betetr on why ppl hate anime just cuase i couent figer it out but ty but every anime not the same u r talking about the japanees theme anime  u are probly a fan of the usa style of anime but we all have are opinons but ty

rly ty

dad... dad im a...ya im not a crazed gun men im a assassin... there's a different ones a mental sickness and ones a job- sniper from TF2
Order of the Owl
JQuest15

Cause it sucks???

But i guess it depends on the person and what they enjoy......normally i would think people tend to hate things they dont understand....nor do they want to.....

SwimNerd
ghostwolf

I don't hate anime, but I do understand why some people do.  The funny thing is it's no different than hating any other type of show.

For example: story telling.  Every show tells a story (even game shows), and the mix of pacing, depth and connection of a show has some audience.

This brings us to something important to understand, conventions.  Few shows violate the conventions of their genre.  [AS] originals follow 90% of the sitcom conventions.  That by itself is a reason for the "hate", as sitcom devotees will largely discount any other form (no different than crime-drama junkies will discount other forms).

On to a somewhat more targetted Anime breakdown.  The story telling is a bit different, fewer animes use the sitcom reset.  Stories (arcs) tend to sprawl over many episodes, which is rare among sitcoms or even crime dramas in this country.  Really the exceptions to this are found in shows like 24 and Rescue Me (just because they are in season), where nothing can be resolved in a given episode.  Strangely House shares a similar story telling to anime, with each given case being almost nothing but a backdrop/mechanism to advance the character relations.  Anime is often about the journey more than the goal.

Then we get to other conventions.  Amplified emotion: big eyes, the constant shouting of names and the various emotion cues (like the teardrop from the forehead).  These will be annoying especially for people who by default don't like that type of story (IIRC body language is a bit less indicitive in Japan).  Flashbacks: the way they are used is odd to our culture, when we think of a sword strike we don't picture flashing back to other times we've used the strike or to the master that taught us to use it.  Again a journey vs goal focus difference in our cultures.

Finally, I'm going to point at first impressions.  Animes are defined by DBZ and Pokemon, these are the two recognizable animes in this country.  That first impression, along with the conventions that do carry to other shows does cause a lot of hate.  Things like naming and shouting every attack, bring up memories of these shows and their often childish storytelling.

this field left intentionally blank
Order of the Kitty
KnightStar

I think people are closed minded and really don't want to understand anime.

They hate on and stereotype what they don't understand or see as foreign.

The reason it (seems) [adult swim] hates anime is because a campaign of anime and anime fanbase bashing since 2003.

All this being said the Otaku fandom makes for an easy target because they are some of the most vocally obnoxious people on the face of planet earth. (The minority are.) Of course the minority of any given group yell the loudest.

I was attracted to anime back in...*thinks* I started watching anime on Sci-Fi's original 4-5am block back in the early and mid 90's. From 1992-1996 at the latest I believe. The art style and story telling is the main reasons I was attracted to anime it's that simple.

Demon City Shinjuko was my first anime OVA and...let me think. The good ol evening Toonami era Macross was my first anime series I sit and watched.

TOMOE242004
"It is a journey into the male mind, in which I believe is really a potentially funny place cause lets face it, nothing happens there." -Andy Wilman Top Gear Producer-

"What will be will, what won't....won't." -Kamina-

"The only person that ever looked good in a four seated convertible was Adolph Hitler!" -Jeremy Clarkson-

"Ha! Sanity, what would I do with something as useless as that?" "Good thing I never had use for such a thing." -Zaraki Kenpatchi-

"I've never seen a ship like this before. It's far behind any C'tarl-C'tarl ship. It won't move unless you're naked! That's very kinky, wouldn't you say? -Aisha Clanclan-

"Well it was the least I could do for you, actually the least I could have done was run away and stick my head in a gopher hole." -Griffin Kato-

"Nothing good can ever come from staying with normal people." -Harry McDougal-

SwimHipster
KingDumDum

A fine line between love and hate.

Most people who claim they hate anime are simply afraid to like it because of what others may say.

Take me for example. I absolutely love anything comedy, yet I hate T&E. Why do I hate it? Because it takes a convention that I absolutely love, and does something with it that I do not understand.

Please give me the courage to stand up for what I believe in
The determination to continue until the horse is completely beaten
and the compassion to know when to let it go.
-The Prayer of the Purple Pimp
SwimNerd
goobbman

Reply to ghostwolf - Message ID#: 49495339

ya i under stand that it  is a verry diffent type of sory telling and that is why i think ppl hate anime but i have meet poeple that have never seen it and they just dont like it thats what im looking for but i ty for your opions it defantly is a hard topic to talk about

Order of the Owl
FieryDoom

Reply to goobbman - Message ID#: 49495736

goobbman wrote:

diffent type of sory telling and that is why i think ppl hate anime 

well that's just the thing. most anime is predictable. good guy, bad guy, battle between good and evil, it's just so cliche. it doesn't mean i hate anime, there are quite a few of them out there with very good story lines. it's like comedies, there are comedies i love and comedies i hate. i guess what you're most concerned about is the unbiased hate though. pft, there's people that hate puppies or kitties, or cute girls with flower scented hair, so bleh, i wouldn't let it bother me. :smileywink:

the People's Republic of Venturethe Forum | the Site | the WiKi | the Twitter

The-Big-Steamy-Thing wrote:
Somebody should put up Stop signs in the ocean. That way the sharks would see them, stop and then die.

SwimNerd
ghostwolf

Reply to goobbman - Message ID#: 49495736

I forgot/didn't bother with the closed minded subset.  There are many people who simply refuse to watch anything not distinctly "American".  This type of person, will refuse to watch anything "foreign".  Sorta like House, I think it's soo much fun to ** Yo Jo e! ** them off by destroying shows for them.  The Office seems a bit timely for that, reminding/telling them that it's nothing but a cheap knock off of a britcom literally causes them pain (it's even more fun when they try to argue that it's not based on the British show).  Survivor is another fun one too (extra points because who the fuuuuuudge is still watching that still?).

Many who claim they never watched, have caught parts of an episode.  I'm sure that "Kameha meha" or "<insert name>, I choose you" was enough to annoy, or the that the 6yo that was repeating it scared them a little inside.  People who hate anything without a reason, annoy me.

Swimfamous
spring

i dont hate anime im an ADer yo! :smileyvery-happy::smileytongue:

but really i think its cuz ppl are turned off by those crazy anime fans that go around calling themselves otaku... proudly. to be quiet honest i myself am a little hesitant and am sometimes a little embrased to admit i like anime in fear of being confused for ona those crazeh anime fans that yell at you for saying Inuyashas attack calls wrong or something O_o

i like anime tho, it has a wide variety of things to watch and quite easy to get ahold of sooo it keeps me entertained for awhile. tho i kinda stopped or caring about the anime on [as] i stillwatch alotat other series.. in fact im watching uhmm.. 4 series total now? 3 as they air series and index.. i just finished watching mushishi which is a wondrful series and everyone should watch that.

but i dunno why ppl wud hate anime? maybe its just not thier thing, just like how some shows arent my thing. but some ppl are jerks and like to make fun of ppl that like it. which is stupid, cuz like watever floats your boat right? :smileyvery-happy:

DARKSIDE AND I ARE BFFZ ^_^
CSW read nao pls ^_^
Kanou from maid-sama is my new anime husband ♥
pimpin aint easy
I'm the Baroness of Ballewnz and TrigunBebop is the Lord of Latex
Ask Meh Stuff!
Squire
Dark_Lord_Khrima

Why do some people hate comedy? Different strokes for different fokes. Though the over-zelous otakus are what really gives anime a bad name. A lot of people don't want to be assosiated with the type that spends all day in their basement fapping to hentai and watching InuYasha, pretending that they're Kagome and InuYasha is naked. 

I don't hate anime at all, but I think that a lot of anime fans that I've met lack common sense. And that's probably just the luck of the draw, I'm not trying to generalize here (some of my best friends are obsessed with animes), but I'm just saying that I've had many bad experiences with anime fans.

SwimHotshot
funky_branca

cus anime is teh s uck

But yeah, it's all personal preference. I love anime, personally, but I understand how people could dislike it.

now with one of those 3DS doohickeys (FC: 0963-0360-1451)
twitter ••• last.fm ••• tumblr
SwimNerd
TriCham84

Because they don't give it a chance, and some people that do can't get into it due to the 'otaku' stigma surrounding it. Then there are those that won't get past the somewhat cheesey themes a lot of anime seems to take on (see sailor moon, or DBZ). For me, it's when the whole 'ancient ninja' thing comes into it. Just strikes me as dumb and repetative. Then there are the giant robots, which really need to be given a rest. Not to say they're all bad, but it's so incredibly overdone that it really is like "oh, wow, another anime about giant robots, how original". If it's something like Trigun, or Bebop I can go for it. Although, I've personally seen enough Bebop for a million lifetimes, and don't want to see it anymore, but it was good while it lasted.

It really seems like anime fans either have low standards, or have run out of material. Most of what's on now I really can't get into anymore. It's not what it used to be, but some of the best, original, interesting, and gripping shows I've ever seen have been anime.

Did you come out of a man or a woman?
SwimNerd
TriCham84

Reply to spring - Message ID#: 49496722

I wouldn't ever tell someone I liked anime in person. That's an instant ticket to judgement. Could also be why it's dying out, the only word of mouth it has is between that group of crazed geek superfans that have made it past pride or caring for the public image they recieve for it. I could never do it, so good for them.
Did you come out of a man or a woman?
SwimNerd
ghostwolf

Reply to TriCham84 - Message ID#: 49497645

TriCham84 wrote:

It really seems like anime fans either have low standards, or have run out of material. Most of what's on now I really can't get into anymore. It's not what it used to be, but some of the best, original, interesting, and gripping shows I've ever seen have been anime.

There are several out there that don't fall into the tired catagories, unfortunately it's so pigeon holed no one seems to consider them for broadcast.   PlanetES and Real Drive each avoided the cheesy factor pretty well with no giant robots or ancient ninja crap, at the same time though I doubt either would work on [as].  Ergo Proxy was pretty good for that as well, but suffers from some wierd storytelling (gameshow ep as an example) and IMO is a bit hard to get into or worse get back into after missing an ep.  I'm sure I could think of others, that completely avoid that stuff (Claymore).

SwimNerd
AsterCata

Reply to ghostwolf - Message ID#: 49497977

I read the title, I didnt read ** Yo Jo e! ** !

but I have a simple opinion on the matter....

[AS] doesnt offer the true essence of Anime. if they aired certain animes I have in mind, the [AS] fan base would revel in its light!

however I have a particular taste as many anime heads do.

I like the old school bloody violent sexual animes. they may or may not be hentai, urotsukidoji being one of them.

edens bowy, that would never see the lights of [AS] because its depictions of God...

etc, etc...

[AS] only airs kiddy grade anime...

less it be American made anime.

The Ultimate High Definition Experience :smileyvery-happy:
SwimSuperfan
JSLeyV

[ Edited ]

imo alot of people think it makes you weird, a freak, or possibly gay?? to like anime or cartoons in general so they never give it a chance and in the states we have a time honored tradition of destrying and ostrasizing what we do not understand...................im surprised people dont get hit with bricks and ** Yo Jo e! ** for liking anime.
Message Edited by JSLeyV on 05-01-2009 11:36 PM
P.S.A.
S.H.O.T.T.S. №78
"Sister peggy? I really like going to church. Does that mean i can give it up for lent?"
"Well God may not like it but what can he do?....you've caught him on a technicality."
My Face
SwimNerd
AsterCata

Reply to KingDumDum - Message ID#: 49495705

one day you will love it! I promise! hahaha :smileywink:

maybe....

SwimPunk
Biohazard_Virus_OC

i dont hate anime, i just don't want it to be around...anymore
Buy it, use it, break it, fix it, Crash it, change it, melt - upgrade it, charge it, pawn it, zoom it, press it, snap it, work it, quick - erase it, write it, cut it, paste it, save it, load it, check it, quick - rewrite it, plug it, play it, burn it, rip it, drag and drop it, zip - unzip it, lock it, fill it, call it, find it, view it, code it, jam - unlock it, surf it, scroll it, pause it, click it, cross it, crack it, switch - update it, name it, read it, tune it, print it,scan it, send it, fax - rename it, touch it, bring it, pay it, watch it, turn it, leave it, start - format it.
SwimHipster
KingDumDum

Reply to AsterCata - Message ID#: 49501729

I highly doubt it. Then again I could get a debilitating brain virus...
Please give me the courage to stand up for what I believe in
The determination to continue until the horse is completely beaten
and the compassion to know when to let it go.
-The Prayer of the Purple Pimp
SwimNerd
AsterCata

Reply to KingDumDum - Message ID#: 49504905

lol that was funny... I could see that being a movie, someone gets the virus, next thing you know T&E sneak a ton load of LSD in the local water supply and your local area will trip balls unknowingly when they take showers, and will dance and sing for 10 days before asking the question, why?

haha

SwimPunk

cuz' the only good anime I ever seen is the short series of Devil May Cry, the rest of it pretty much ** Yo Jo e! **