Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Swimpotent
SiphSkyline72

Cartoons on Adult Swim. On Cartoon Network.

Am I the only one that believes Adult Swim, which is on Cartoon Network, should be reserved for cartoons?

Granted, Tim and Eric brought us Tom Goes To The Mayor, but these new live action shows are...well, they just arent funny.

They're bland, irritating, and they have little to offer in the realm of real comedy. I dont like seeing Adult Swim in a state of "Well what can we throw at them and pass off as entertainment?" Which is what these shows seem to be.

There's a point where making absolutely no sense is no longer funny. Adult Swim should be reserved for cartoons like Birdman, Venture Bros, Home Movies, Metalocalypse, you know, cartoons that make teenagers and adults laugh. Not lay on their beds wondering why they wont change the channel.

Im wondering how many viewers truly find Awesome Show and Saul to be the same calibur as the cartoon classics like Venture, Birdman, and ATHF.
"Lurlene, I have only two things to say to you- You're music touched me in a way I've never been touched, and which way to the can?" -Homer Simpson
SwimStar
against_the_tides

Re: Cartoons on Adult Swim. On Cartoon Network.

Reply to SiphSkyline72 - Message ID#: 35451551

Why bother comparing them to shows that are entirely different?

Cartoon Network doesn't mean anything anymore anyway. Besides, if you want to go by those standards, because [as] is on CN, [as] should only show kids' shows, too. Because that's what CN shows. See. [as] has it's own stuff to get to the audience. No need to follow dumb rules like that.
They told me nothing is greater than god.

So I chose to worship the Void.
SwimHipster
NickM_0tool

You are far from the only one. You're about the millionth. And thats taking an estimate out of a million and 1.
SwimIcon
CartoonistatLarge

Reply to against_the_tides - Message ID#: 35451724

Spiderman 1 is to be one CN on Saturday, if that isn't a sign of selling out, I dunno what is. [adult swim] is on cartoon network, but it isn't called the adult cartoon swim or adult cartoons. Leave em be.

[as]: ATHF | Brak Show | Delocated | Harvey Birdman | Frisky Dingo | Metalocalypse | Moral Orel | PHF | Squidbillies | Superjail! | Tim & Eric | The Venture Bros. | Xavier

TV: 30 Rock | Curb Your Enthusiasm | It's Always Sunny | LOST | Mad Men | Parks and Recreations | The Simpsons (Seasons 1-10)

Currently Reading: Paradise Lost | Currently Listening to: The xx

5 Favorite Artists: The Flaming Lips | Beck | Deerhunter | MF DOOM | TV on the Radio

Swimpotent
SiphSkyline72

Reply to against_the_tides - Message ID#: 35451724

Where you almost make sense, you dont make a very good argument.

Adult Swim SHOULD show cartoons because it's on the Cartoon Network.

However, it should show ADULT related cartoons, because that's why it was developed. To show cartoons that teenagers and adults would enjoy, and give some writers and creators the opportunity to not have to confine their talents to children's shows.

Any channel can show live action comedy, but the appeal of Adult Swim is to see some adult oriented cartoons, because cartoons have much more freedom of creation than does live action.
"Lurlene, I have only two things to say to you- You're music touched me in a way I've never been touched, and which way to the can?" -Homer Simpson
SwimSuperfan
josephlovesit

[ Edited ]

What would your feelings be if a live-action show that you actually liked aired on [as]? This whole "it should just be cartoons!" defense is just a way for people who don't like the new shows or Pee Wee or whatever to have some halfassed excuse in order to get them off the air. If you're going to criticize them because they're live action - then do that. Don't say why you think they're bad shows for other reasons. Your argument fell apart and your true reasoning showed very blatantly. So come up with a critique on how live-action is bad and not how the shows are bad. Give me a break! Ugh.

Message Edited by josephlovesit on 04-26-200712:41 AM

SwimSuperfan
josephlovesit

SiphSkyline72 wrote:

Im wondering how many viewers truly find Awesome Show and Saul to be the same calibur as the cartoon classics like Venture, Birdman, and ATHF.

To answer this question: At least a few hundred thousand. Awesome Show got really good ratings and is coming back for 30 new episodes. So that says something about how many people enjoy it.
Swimpotent
SiphSkyline72

Reply to josephlovesit - Message ID#: 35451973

Um...I reiterate:

Any channel can show live action comedy, but the appeal of Adult Swim is to see some adult oriented cartoons, because cartoons have much more freedom of creation than does live action.
SwimSuperfan
josephlovesit

[ Edited ]

Reply to SiphSkyline72 - Message ID#: 35452024

SiphSkyline72 wrote:
Um...I reiterate:

That is an opinion. Also there's plenty of computer animation in both Awesome Show and Saul. Also, all of [as] is cartoons except about a half-hour of the Sunday lineup that was those two shows. What is there to complain about? A freaking half hour! What the heck man? :smileyvery-happy:

Message Edited by josephlovesit on 04-26-200712:49 AM

SwimSuperfan
Danneus

Reply to SiphSkyline72 - Message ID#: 35452024

SiphSkyline72 wrote:
Um...I reiterate:

Any channel can show live action comedy,

Any channel can show pretty much whatever they want to as long as it conforms to FCC regulations.  So what's your point?
AviatorMD is my inspiration for designing obscure Futurama trivia.

http://www.myspace.com/yourfrienddanzo
Swimpotent
SiphSkyline72

Reply to josephlovesit - Message ID#: 35452125

As little weight as that beared on my point...

I never claimed it was anything more than opinion.

I dont understand the point of complaining about my complaining. I find it a bit assinine, but the more power to you.

Half-hour or no, it's still live-action, which takes away from the individual appeal of Adult Swim. It stands out as a segment of Cartoon Network in which one can view good adult cartoon humor, and a place where animators and writers can work on a cartoon not confined by G-rated humor. Granted, other networks show more adult oriented cartoons, but they aren't going to give us as much as Adult Swim is capable of.
SwimSuperfan
josephlovesit

[ Edited ]

Reply to SiphSkyline72 - Message ID#: 35452298

Well obviously [as] isn't like that anymore. It's evolving into something other than what it was. I agree that there is a lot about that evolution that I do not like as well (ad naseum repeats of Family Guy and Futurama for one.) But that evolution I think for the most part is aiding creativity. I think that limiting the network to only cartoons can be stifling if live-action is an avenue that they are naturally gravitating to. And I'm not complaining about your complaing, so much as trying to understand your reasoning and hopefully changing your mind on the issue. Think of it as a light-hearted arguing.

Message Edited by josephlovesit on 04-26-200701:05 AM

Swimpotent
SiphSkyline72

Reply to josephlovesit - Message ID#: 35452407

Moving to live action is a "creative" move. It's jumping right into what every other network is.

The original idea was creative. Have a network slot reserved for adult oriented cartoons. Sliding in live action series' is taking a step backwards from the original idea.

That's like creating a network that promises to be free of reality television, and then saying it's a creative move to start showing reality television.
SwimSuperfan
josephlovesit

Reply to SiphSkyline72 - Message ID#: 35452591

OK, I guess the point of contention there is that I feel that Awesome Show is intensely creative where as you don't. So I see your point in that case. I'm still curious though.. if [as] were to air a live-action show that you ended up loving, then would you still feel this way?
SwimHELPeR
Majikthise

Adult Swim broke off from Cartoon Network and is now considered its own broadcasting entity. It can show whatever it likes.

And yes, I think Saul is definitely a worthwhile addition to the Adult Swim stable of shows.
([]o)   Your friendly neighborhood lycanthrope (and part-time lava man)   ([]o)
Read my interview with Jackson Publick and Doc Hammer: Seeing More Venture Bros. in HD
"I didn't tell them to go die...you can live from jumping off a bridge...that's why I chose a bridge :smileysad:" --KibaWar
"If I made a thread about Suicide, specifically asking what kind of gun would be best to use to kill yourself
with, would I be banned? I'm not interested in killing myself to be honest. Just curious." --TsumeBlue

TAD GHOSTAL SAVES LIVES -- Memoirs of a SwimWerewolf
Swimpotent
SiphSkyline72

Reply to josephlovesit - Message ID#: 35452660

I'd still feel the same.

I'd love the new show, but wish greatly for it to be on another network, so as to save AS airtime for good adult-oriented cartoons.
SwimSuperfan
josephlovesit
Swimpotent
SiphSkyline72

Reply to Majikthise - Message ID#: 35452711

True as that may be, there's still the creative appeal of Adult Swim, which was in the idea that it was reserved for adult-oriented cartoons. More than any other network would really offer the viewing public.
SwimStar
against_the_tides

Reply to Majikthise - Message ID#: 35452711

Majikthise wrote:
Adult Swim broke off from Cartoon Network and is now considered its own broadcasting entity. It can show whatever it likes.

And yes, I think Saul is definitely a worthwhile addition to the Adult Swim stable of shows.

I liken this argument to Nickelodean and Nick at Night (and Nick Jr., I suppose), Noggin and The N, and something else I can't think of anymore I think. It didn't work too well last time I tried it.
They told me nothing is greater than god.

So I chose to worship the Void.
SwimSuperfan
Danneus

Reply to josephlovesit - Message ID#: 35452660

Yeah, I think the problem comes from him lumping all live action shows together.  The live action show ITSELF may not be very original, but Saul and Awesome show are pretty creative.  I doubt that the original poster could name many shows that are similar to those two. 

After all, Futurama wasn't the first cartoon, or the first show about the future, or even the first CARTOON SHOW about the Futurama (the Jetsons, for instance).  But if you've watched Futurama a while, you understand that it IS a very original show and shouldn't be lumped in any of the categories of the previous sentence.  Likewise, the original poster has no business lumping Saul and Awesome Show with all other live action shows. 

AviatorMD is my inspiration for designing obscure Futurama trivia.

http://www.myspace.com/yourfrienddanzo
SwimSuperfan
josephlovesit

Reply to Danneus - Message ID#: 35452863

Danneus wrote:

Yeah, I think the problem comes from him lumping all live action shows together.  The live action show ITSELF may not be very original, but Saul and Awesome show are pretty creative.  I doubt that the original poster could name many shows that are similar to those two. 

After all, Futurama wasn't the first cartoon, or the first show about the future, or even the first CARTOON SHOW about the Futurama (the Jetsons, for instance).  But if you've watched Futurama a while, you understand that it IS a very original show and shouldn't be lumped in any of the categories of the previous sentence.  Likewise, the original poster has no business lumping Saul and Awesome Show with all other live action shows. 

I completely agree. I think making blanket judgements is a mistake, especially when dealing with something as unique as this channel and its shows.
Swimpotent
SiphSkyline72

Reply to Danneus - Message ID#: 35452863

I have all the business in the world to lump them together, because they are both under the catagory of live-action. Real people. On television.

I seperately registered my distaste for the shows, and expressed that I had the same complaint about both. I didnt find them entertaining, I found them bland and void of comedic value.

SwimHELPeR
Majikthise

Reply to SiphSkyline72 - Message ID#: 35452825

SiphSkyline72 wrote:
True as that may be, there's still the creative appeal of Adult Swim, which was in the idea that it was reserved for adult-oriented cartoons. More than any other network would really offer the viewing public.

But not all cartoons -- even adult-oriented ones -- are created equal. Look at Assy McGee and Minoriteam. I'm glad Adult Swim has other shows to put on in their place.

And you're wrong if you're thinking live action hasn't been part of the Adult Swim ethos from day one. Space Ghost Coast to Coast.
Read my interview with Jackson Publick and Doc Hammer: Seeing More Venture Bros. in HD
"I didn't tell them to go die...you can live from jumping off a bridge...that's why I chose a bridge :smileysad:" --KibaWar
"If I made a thread about Suicide, specifically asking what kind of gun would be best to use to kill yourself
with, would I be banned? I'm not interested in killing myself to be honest. Just curious." --TsumeBlue

Swimpotent
SiphSkyline72

Reply to Majikthise - Message ID#: 35452967

Space Ghost is cartoon based. Yes, he interviews celebrities, but the show itself is entirely cartoon based.
SwimHELPeR
Majikthise

Reply to SiphSkyline72 - Message ID#: 35453027

Space Ghost was a fusion of live action and cartoon. To ignore the live-action portion just to suit the narrow confines of your argument doesn't help you.