SwimHotshot
crapshot2

Re: Mass Effect 3

Reply to SmilezDavis - Message ID#: 61096108

SmilezDavis wrote:
how many people play with default sheps, anyway?

I do. the male just fits incredibly well for me

all hail the crimson king
SwimHotshot
crapshot2

Reply to ramo200 - Message ID#: 62018566

ramo200 wrote:

The long debate of whether or not Mass Effect 3 will have multiplayer has come to an end. Bioware executive Casey Hudson has confirmed that there will be multiplayer for ME3. However, it'll be in the form of co-op missions. He advises everyone that it will be "spectacular".

ugh

do not like.

Swimmortal
Blah_canbespanish

Reply to crapshot2 - Message ID#: 62022910

Details now

I don't see a problem with it. I kind of want to play a Salarian and hold some lines.
SwimHotshot
crapshot2

Reply to Blah_canbespanish - Message ID#: 62025506

it shows that they are trying to appease a crowd. I really hate it.

mass effect is an awesome SINGLE player game. when you have to throw in multiplayer to try to get people to play it, to "expand" the audience then you have to think, what else did they do?

if they want to do this make this game make THAT game, don't muddy the waters with an allreaddy amazing game.

Order of the Owl
covered_in_sponges

Reply to crapshot2 - Message ID#: 62026832

I certainly hope they make multiplayer romance sections.

Now that's some 4-player co-op I could get into.
I'd like to thank everyone who participated and voted for an awesome competition.

Second Place- Grave by Kohikki

Third Place- Neon Genesis Evan-DELI-on by Gaynor

Also Third Place- Prophet By BadWitch

Order of the Owl
Kakashi_Sensei18

Mass Effect 3

Reply to Blah_canbespanish - Message ID#: 62025506

I kinda like the idea of it, but the whole galactic readiness being achieved through other interfaces bothers me, especially since it will probably be a lame facebook game.
SwimHotshot
crapshot2

Reply to Kakashi_Sensei18 - Message ID#: 62039164

it isn't mass effect.  if they want to do this they should release an entirely new game, not muddy up mass effect

Swimmortal
Blah_canbespanish

Reply to crapshot2 - Message ID#: 62040852

How does this muddy up ME? It's not required, you still have your SP campaign in-tact. You can actually add MP to a series without **beast** up the single player. Look at Assassin's Creed or Bioshock.
SwimThreadless
Gaz
SwimBinary
Bud389

Reply to Gaz - Message ID#: 62045868

Im probably the only one here who thinks this but....  Mass Effect 1 was way better than 2, 2 pretty much completely removed the freedom of really EXPLORING planets and turned it into a basic "go to this planet for a quest, go to this one for story missions" and was really quite boring, on Mass Effect 1, you went into planets, not knowing next to anything, and uncovered mysteries and quests on your own.  I have no further interest in any future bioware games, im now looking more into what Bethesda has to offer, as they've impressed me far more lately with Skyrim.

It's a cook-book, it's a cook-book!
SwimHotshot
crapshot2

2 minutes to 2 minutes 30 have me worried.

Order of the Owl
Kakashi_Sensei18

Mass Effect 3

I am liking it more and more.
Swimmortal
Blah_canbespanish

Reply to Bud389 - Message ID#: 62046774

Exploring planets in ME1 was fun for the first few planets. But once you realize it's the same exact thing with a different texture for nearly every planet it sort of lost it's shine. "Uncovering mysteries" is sort of an exaggeration.

I much preferred ME2's side quest planets, even if there were less of them.
Swimmortal
SmilezDavis

[ Edited ]

Reply to Blah_canbespanish - Message ID#: 62051140

did microsoft send a cease and desist letter here before anyone even had the chance to discuss the beta leak or something? boom. i actually think it looks pretty good for a beta, aside from some obvious placeholders, of course. some plot elements are floating around the interwebs, too. reaction has been...less than kind.

Where does this door go?
Swimfamous
ramo200

Reply to SwimOdin - Message ID#: 57757548

SwimLegend
HonorableCloud

Reply to ramo200 - Message ID#: 63711963

I played the first part of the demo. I'll have to play the second part tonight after school.

The only thing I really want to comment on right now is just how #### perfect the default female Shepard is. The facial structure is basically that chick from Meet Joe Black, but man is it perfect. I'll definitely be running through a game as her-- which is a first because I haven't done a female Shepard before.

These are real men doing real things.
Swimmortal
harryfrodo

[ Edited ]

Reply to HonorableCloud - Message ID#: 63713393

I finished playing the demo. It's fair to say that I relatively hated it.

It's basically the very direction that I didn't want the franchise to take -- becoming more action-oriented as the more role-play aspects take a backseat, playing something like a Michael Bay film with explosions going off everywhere and cringe-worthy, cliche dialogue. "People die, this is war?" I think my favorite was Shepard's response to how to handle the Reaper invasion: "We stand together?"

lmfaooooo?? Are you kidding me? We must make sure to stand together as we push the 'A' button to jump across these needless obstacles and pull children from ventilation shafts!

I know Mass Effect always had pretty bland dialogue but come the fuck on. The give-a-fuck meter on making the story well-written is easily at BioWare's all-time low. Say what you want about Dragon Age 2, but the game still had an excellent script and story... just perhaps a bit too big for its breeches in the way other games like Final Fantasy XIII ended up. But anyway...

I thought the combat was fair. It felt very similar to Mass Effect 2 except that the cover system didn't seem to work as well. I found myself getting stuck on the wrong objects frequently. I don't know if it's because of the cluttered level design (especially in the second half of the demo) or just the mechanic itself needing to be perfected, but I never had these problems in Mass Effect 1 or 2 and it's troubling to see. The one positive I took from the demo is that the AI is much improved and will attempt to flank you instead of just standing there shooting at you and popping back into cover.

I don't know. I really just didn't have fun playing it. The graphics looked mediocre but I'm not one to care about such things. The problem I had was merely the design of the levels and how ... bland everything looked. Mass Effect 1 and Mass Effect 2 were colorful games. Perhaps not to the point of Halo, but I was surprised how slate-grey everything looked. It was difficult navigating certain areas because of it, and on another note, I despise the new walking animation.

How far this franchise has fallen...

The Librarian

Reply to harryfrodo - Message ID#: 63715537

This does not bode well...
Aye swimae.
"Yes whales are big." -DBZ4ever
“Something to remember, that: cats for missiles.”

Come talk books in The Library!
Swimmortal
harryfrodo

Reply to 770312 - Message ID#: 63715853

Just play it and tell me what you think.

This is just my opinion on it. I'm sure most other people will love it, just like I used to unfazingly love Mass Effect and anything else BioWare related. But after Dragon Age 2's mediocrity I've come to find room to fault BioWare, and I was relatively unimpressed with the demo. Still have the game pre-ordered, though. I won't cancel it over a demo.
The Librarian

Reply to harryfrodo - Message ID#: 63716285

Alas, I cannot download it. My internet is ####.

I'll still play the game as well.
Aye swimae.
"Yes whales are big." -DBZ4ever
“Something to remember, that: cats for missiles.”

Come talk books in The Library!
SwimHotshot
crapshot2

[ Edited ]

simply, this is why you don't play demos of games you want. demo's rarely are an accurate portrayal of the game they are supposed to be. I don't know if thats just the fate of demo's or that every single company has been incredibly lazy with demos. I mean you don't want to ruin teh story so you have to exclude all teh meat of the game and... well, thats really all that ME is, so I can see how a demo could be disapointing

it sounds as if it is a beta build without all the kinks worked out

Swimmortal
harryfrodo

[ Edited ]

Reply to crapshot2 - Message ID#: 63716871

I'd agree if my issues with the game were mechanical.

But bad dialogue is bad dialogue, bad level design and color palette is bad level design and color palette. These are not things where you can just smirk and say, "Oh it's just the beta build."

And I'm not really impressed by the fact that I only got to choose what Shepard said maybe FOUR times the entire demo.
SwimHotshot
crapshot2

Reply to harryfrodo - Message ID#: 63716925

how long was the demo and was it just to show off combat? I actually seem to remember them saying that it's the multiplayer demo or something, or to show off what multiplayer will be.  don't quote me on that.

again I'm not a big demo guy. I've played demos that #### and the game ruled and visa versa. I seem to remember the max payne 2 demo being horindous but the game itself ruled hard. dead space demo was horrible, hitman, bioshock, even the batman: AA demo was horrible. in fact it seems that the worse the demo the better the game in a lot of cases.

I don't know, all I can say is just wait for the game and don't put a lot of credit into the demo. as far as I can tell it's just a small bone thrown to the ME playerbase sense we are getting so close to release.

SwimLegend
HonorableCloud

harryfrodo wrote:
I finished playing the demo. It's fair to say that I relatively hated it.

It's basically the very direction that I didn't want the franchise to take -- becoming more action-oriented as the more role-play aspects take a backseat, playing something like a Michael Bay film with explosions going off everywhere and cringe-worthy, cliche dialogue. "People die, this is war?" I think my favorite was Shepard's response to how to handle the Reaper invasion: "We stand together?"

lmfaooooo?? Are you kidding me? We must make sure to stand together as we push the 'A' button to jump across these needless obstacles and pull children from ventilation shafts!

I know Mass Effect always had pretty bland dialogue but come the fuuuuuudge on. The give-a-fuuuuuudge meter on making the story well-written is easily at BioWare's all-time low. Say what you want about Dragon Age 2, but the game still had an excellent script and story... just perhaps a bit too big for its breeches in the way other games like Final Fantasy XIII ended up. But anyway...

I thought the combat was fair. It felt very similar to Mass Effect 2 except that the cover system didn't seem to work as well. I found myself getting stuck on the wrong objects frequently. I don't know if it's because of the cluttered level design (especially in the second half of the demo) or just the mechanic itself needing to be perfected, but I never had these problems in Mass Effect 1 or 2 and it's troubling to see. The one positive I took from the demo is that the AI is much improved and will attempt to flank you instead of just standing there shooting at you and popping back into cover.

I don't know. I really just didn't have fun playing it. The graphics looked mediocre but I'm not one to care about such things. The problem I had was merely the design of the levels and how ... bland everything looked. Mass Effect 1 and Mass Effect 2 were colorful games. Perhaps not to the point of Halo, but I was surprised how slate-grey everything looked. It was difficult navigating certain areas because of it, and on another note, I despise the new walking animation.

How far this franchise has fallen...

I actually very much enjoyed it, and if anything, I think this is shaping up to be a much smoother game than ME2. ME2 was basically a retarded cross-breed of ME1's sloppy shooting mechanics and Gears, where this is a fine-tuned version that's actually enjoyable to play. ME1's combat was terrible, but it was easy to digest because of the RPG mechanics; ME2's was pretty much the middle-of-the-road experience of action-RPG. I mean, if you're going to go for a more action oriented experience, then you might as well make it enjoyable. I actually feel like this is more of a return to form with the more vibrant colors and blue hue-- even the score is reminiscent of ME1's, though so far, it sounds to be even better with Clint Mansell at the helm. I honestly can't see how you could think this looks more bland than ME2, because that game was dead-set on being dark and red. Red, red, red.

I could understand how one could be upset over the more action-oriented experience, but this really shoudn't be much of a surprise after ME2. That game was sloppy mechanics minus the RPG, and while ME3 probably won't hold many RPG elements, at least the fighting won't be an absolute chore.

And the dialogue didn't bother me at all. It should be expected after the hilarious cheesiness of the ending in ME1. That was like a f*cking cheesecake.

SwimLegend
HonorableCloud

Reply to HonorableCloud - Message ID#: 63722565

I'd also like to clarify that though I'm kinda ripping on Mass Effect 2, I still loved it. I just remember getting bored and sighing a painful sigh every time I had to sit there in battle like I was in a galactic shooting range with a bad bug infestation.