Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Reply
SwimSuperfan
RageModeMessiah
Posts: 3,367
Registered: ‎10-16-2008
0

Re: TES 4: oblivion is not an RPG, get over it.

Reply to theeyeisblind - Message ID#: 55111375


theeyeisblind wrote:
first, imagine KOTOR, baldurs gate, neverwinter nights 2, mass effect. all these games are RPGs, if a game doesn't compare to any of these then its NOT an RPG. no sh!t dude, these games are the definition of "role playing game".

No, what's the definition of a role-playing game according to your own OP is that a role-playing game "gives you various options on the behavior of your character, or determines the outcome of missions," etc.

I already told you how Oblivion fulfills these requirements with flying colors. This is the part where you're supposed to actually write a rebuttal, not ignore all my completely logical points and pull up Madden 10 as a red herring. I already told you that you can't alter your definition and it only took you one post to do exactly that.

Please die in a fire.


in oblivion there are no roles, only some vague "infamy" counter that records kills only ( which is why i consider fallout 3 a weak RPG compared to mass effect or KOTOR) dialogue options? nope, oblivion has maybe 2-3  choices to make during the entire game ( including DLC) the force unleashed gives you a similar lack of options yet its NOT considered an RPG.

Dialogue options were not included in your original definition. This point is at best irrelevant and at worst an indication of a false crux.

but forget all that, what about madden 10? madden 10 has the same qualifications for RPG as oblivion and i listed why that is the case. until somebody can differentiate madden 10 from oblivion AND link oblivion to .....eh......lets say, mass effect, then i hold that oblivion is not an RPG. remember that the key to this issue is the DIFFERENCES between madden 10 and oblivion,  oblivion and mass effect. by your definition then then force unleashed is an RPG.
Well that's easy. By Occam's razor Madden 10 is a sports game and Oblivion isn't. Surely you're not too stupid to tell the difference between an RPG and a sports game, or an RPG and an action-adventure.

Oh wait.
Order of the Kitty
distorted_reasoning
Posts: 58,126
Registered: ‎02-06-2007
0

Re: TES 4: oblivion is not an RPG, get over it.

Reply to theeyeisblind - Message ID#: 54932189

why is there so much confusion with this subject?

callmesamantha is cooler than you
i caught the rare disease known as polexia.
hackeredward is cool too. true story.

yazmineR


after many years of research, i finally understood owlscience.
Lady_Hikari and i are lovers of the ib kind.
SwimStar
SilverSin
Posts: 4,645
Registered: ‎07-15-2005
0

Re: TES 4: oblivion is not an RPG, get over it.

Reply to theeyeisblind - Message ID#: 54932189

I'm still trying to get over Canada being the #1 supplier of maple. I just can't handle this sh!t right now. Too much crushing reality at once.

It's not legal, but it's perfect. :smileyhappy:
SwimStar
dr_gonzo
Posts: 6,003
Registered: ‎06-25-2003
0

Re: TES 4: oblivion is not an RPG, get over it.

Reply to TVs_Frank - Message ID#: 54932663

 


TVs_Frank wrote:
Dice rolls. Case closed.

 

One toke over the line
SwimSuperfan
theeyeisblind
Posts: 4,910
Registered: ‎02-21-2005
0

Re: TES 4: oblivion is not an RPG, get over it.

Reply to RageModeMessiah - Message ID#: 55114007

 


RageModeMessiah wrote:
well that's easy. By Occam's razor Madden 10 is a sports game and Oblivion isn't. Surely you're not too stupid to tell the difference between an RPG and a sports game, or an RPG and an action-adventure.

Oh wait.

 

not suprisingly you can't answer the questions that i give you so you blather on about occams razor.

 

plain and simple:

 

madden = sports game

mass effect 2 =  RPG

oblivion = action adventure

final fantasy 7 = fantasy/ cyber punk manga ( with battles attached)

 

according to denialist logic, madden 10 and "the force unleashed" are both RPG's!!!! not only that but according to RPG denialist logic, every game ever made is an RPG.

 

 

i got sigs turned off so don't bother trying to impress me with your cleverness
and if my grammer svcks or i am overly pi$$y then its because i'm drunk
Swimmortal
harryfrodo
Posts: 43,399
Registered: ‎06-15-2003
0

Re: TES 4: oblivion is not an RPG, get over it.

[ Edited ]

Reply to theeyeisblind - Message ID#: 55593057

Actually, what you believe is denialist logic.

The reality of the matter is that Madden is a sports game and Oblivion is an RPG.

If you want to believe otherwise, be my guest. Just shut up about it because it doesn't do anyone any good.
SwimSuperfan
theeyeisblind
Posts: 4,910
Registered: ‎02-21-2005
0

Re: TES 4: oblivion is not an RPG, get over it.

Reply to FromTheAshes - Message ID#: 54988403

 


FromTheAshes wrote:

Rpg, basically just any game with mechanics (aka skillsets, stats and levels) based on the D&D system. Though none come to match the choices you could make in an actual campaign. Oh, and yes oblivion is an Rpg you have choices that can affect the outcome of various quests if only slightly.


 

fail, fail, fail.

 

none of you people can differentiate madden 10 from oblivion when it comes to RPG status. to this date, none of you have.

 

i suppose that this means i win the **alf** debate?!

i got sigs turned off so don't bother trying to impress me with your cleverness
and if my grammer svcks or i am overly pi$$y then its because i'm drunk
SwimSuperfan
theeyeisblind
Posts: 4,910
Registered: ‎02-21-2005
0

Re: TES 4: oblivion is not an RPG, get over it.

Reply to eimajtl - Message ID#: 54950035

 


eimajtl wrote:
Heck yeah.


Courses on logic should really be a requirement of all schools. It'd really help people with making actual sound arguments.

 

exactly. which reminds me of the critical thinking class which forever altered the path of my life, and even changed the course of my thinking to this very day!!!!

 

: /

 

by denialist logic, then EVERY game ever made is an RPG. by my logic then only games which allow you to determine the outcome of certain quests, and/or the entire game in general, are RPG's.

i got sigs turned off so don't bother trying to impress me with your cleverness
and if my grammer svcks or i am overly pi$$y then its because i'm drunk
SwimSuperfan
theeyeisblind
Posts: 4,910
Registered: ‎02-21-2005
0

Re: TES 4: oblivion is not an RPG, get over it.

[ Edited ]

Reply to harryfrodo - Message ID#: 55593161

 


harryfrodo wrote:
Actually, what you believe is denialist logic.

The reality of the matter is that Madden is a sports game and Oblivion is an RPG.

If you want to believe otherwise, be my guest. Just shut up about it because it doesn't do anyone any good.

 

madden is a sports game, oblivion is an action adventure, mass effect 2 is an RPG

 

by your logic: the force unleashed = RPG (stats, 1 choice), along with madden 10, mario, sonic and tomb raider. or i suppose you can deny any of that?

 

thats right!!! suuck on that logic goober cuz it doesn't get any easier from here on out!

 

 

 

i got sigs turned off so don't bother trying to impress me with your cleverness
and if my grammer svcks or i am overly pi$$y then its because i'm drunk
SwimHipster
bSoup
Posts: 1,659
Registered: ‎03-23-2010
0

Re: TES 4: oblivion is not an RPG, get over it.

Reply to theeyeisblind - Message ID#: 54932189

Most pointless thread ever created. And here's why:

No matter what your argument, any game which consists of character progression, as in, the improvement of certain stats and the acquisition of loot, that isn't a sports game, falls into the category of an RPG, or at the very least, an Action RPG. Of course, as video game design advances, the lines blur between genres. I personally don't like that they call Valkyria Chronicles an RPG, but really, am I gonna get all annoyed about it? No, because I honestly don't care. A game's gotta be categorized somehow, and that's really all there is to it. Y'know, it's the whole keep it simple, stupid thing. There's really no point in over-complicating something as basic as the categorization of a video game, so that's why Oblivion and FF7, and several other games that don't fit your definition of an RPG, are categorized as such. Understand?
SwimSuperfan
theeyeisblind
Posts: 4,910
Registered: ‎02-21-2005
0

Re: TES 4: oblivion is not an RPG, get over it.

[ Edited ]

Reply to bSoup - Message ID#: 55593701

 


bSoup wrote:
Most pointless thread ever created. And here's why:

No matter what your argument, any game which consists of character progression, as in, the improvement of certain stats and the acquisition of loot, that isn't a sports game, falls into the category of an RPG, or at the very least, an Action RPG. Of course, as video game design advances, the lines blur between genres. I personally don't like that they call Valkyria Chronicles an RPG, but really, am I gonna get all annoyed about it? No, because I honestly don't care. A game's gotta be categorized somehow, and that's really all there is to it. Y'know, it's the whole keep it simple, stupid thing. There's really no point in over-complicating something as basic as the categorization of a video game, so that's why Oblivion and FF7, and several other games that don't fit your definition of an RPG, are categorized as such. Understand?

 

1) true, not to mention the douchiest

 

2) fail, fail, fail. by your logic then EVERY game ever created is an RPG, mario, zelda, tomb raider, the force unleashed, tecmo bowl, madden 10. oh wait you arbitrarily excluded sports games, nevermind....

 


: /

 

 

i got sigs turned off so don't bother trying to impress me with your cleverness
and if my grammer svcks or i am overly pi$$y then its because i'm drunk
SwimHipster
bSoup
Posts: 1,659
Registered: ‎03-23-2010
0

Re: TES 4: oblivion is not an RPG, get over it.

[ Edited ]

Reply to theeyeisblind - Message ID#: 55593275

 


theeyeisblind wrote:

 


FromTheAshes wrote:

Rpg, basically just any game with mechanics (aka skillsets, stats and levels) based on the D&D system. Though none come to match the choices you could make in an actual campaign. Oh, and yes oblivion is an Rpg you have choices that can affect the outcome of various quests if only slightly.


 

fail, fail, fail.

 

none of you people can differentiate madden 10 from oblivion when it comes to RPG status. to this date, none of you have.

 

i suppose that this means i win the **alf** debate?!


 

*sigh*

 

You want a goddamn differentiation.  How about exploration?  Aside from the fact that Madden is obviously a sports game, you can't explore anything outside of football stadiums and menu trees in the game, whereas with Oblivion, you have an entire continent to explore, freely at your own leisure.  That, and the other points I made clear in my last post, are really all it takes for something to be considered an RPG, or at the very least an Action RPG.  Skill building + exploration = RPG in the video game world, because it's the simplest way to categorize the games.  They're not gonna make a dozen sub-categories for every type of game made because that would just be stupid.

 

Edited out where I called you a moron, because in hindsight, it wasn't exactly warranted.  I mean, this isn't really that important of an issue to begin with.

SwimSuperfan
theeyeisblind
Posts: 4,910
Registered: ‎02-21-2005
0

Re: TES 4: oblivion is not an RPG, get over it.

Reply to bSoup - Message ID#: 55593891

 


bSoup wrote:

You want a goddamn differentiation.  Exploration, moron.  Aside from the fact that Madden is obviously a sports game, you can't explore anything outside of football stadiums and menu trees in the game, whereas with Oblivion, you have an entire continent to explore, freely at your own leisure.  That, and the other points I made clear in my last post, are really all it takes for something to be considered an RPG, or at the very least an Action RPG.  Skill building + exploration = RPG in the video game world, because it's the simplest way to categorize the games.  They're not gonna make a dozen sub-categories for every type of game made because that would just be stupid.  Once more, do you understand that?


 

you =  fail.

 

unless you can differentiate between madden 10 and oblivion then you FAIL!!!! not only that but i get the douchiest place in heaven!

i got sigs turned off so don't bother trying to impress me with your cleverness
and if my grammer svcks or i am overly pi$$y then its because i'm drunk
SwimSuperfan
theeyeisblind
Posts: 4,910
Registered: ‎02-21-2005
0

Re: TES 4: oblivion is not an RPG, get over it.

Reply to bSoup - Message ID#: 55593891

 


bSoup wrote:

 

 

Edited out where I called you a moron, because in hindsight, it wasn't exactly warranted.  I mean, this isn't really that important of an issue to begin with.


 

blah, blah, like i actually give a pile of retard **alf**s! dude i been called any number of curses that you could imagine during my time on this website.

 

unless you can explain why madden 10 is NOT an RPG while oblivion is, then i don't give a fuuuuuudge anyways!!

 

i got sigs turned off so don't bother trying to impress me with your cleverness
and if my grammer svcks or i am overly pi$$y then its because i'm drunk
SwimHipster
bSoup
Posts: 1,659
Registered: ‎03-23-2010
0

Re: TES 4: oblivion is not an RPG, get over it.

Reply to theeyeisblind - Message ID#: 55594027

There have been people who've said that Madden 10 has many RPG elements, and in a lot of ways, that's true. But really, the labels are just there to show people what kind of a game they're looking at. That's all. Labels like RPG for video games are very broad terms. It has a lot to do with the core game design, IMO. Is the main focus on exploration? Is it on platforming? Is it on playing a sport? That's really all there is to it. Oblivion is focused on exploration and stat development, as well as discovering items like armor and weaponry. Therefore it falls into the broad category of an RPG, or Action RPG. The only thing keeping Madden 10 from falling into this category is that it's a sports title. The same can be said for some FPS titles, like Bioshock, and action games like Forced Unleashed. But first and foremost, Bioshock is an FPS and it's designed as such, therefore, while it has exploration and character development similar to what falls into the category of what is normally considered an RPG in the video game world, it is categorized as an FPS. To call every game an RPG is about as wrong as saying that certain games shouldn't be called RPGs based on a rigid definition of the term, because certain games, even if they do include a level of character development and customization, weren't designed or marketed as RPGs, but as action games. In the end, these are just categories used for marketing games. Y'know, like how movies that aren't in the least bit scary can be categorized as Horror Films simply because they feature brain eating zombies. There've even been genres created for the sole purpose of marketing, like with the survival horror genre. It was created by the people who made Resident Evil, or at least those behind the marketing. So basically, these categories, and even their subcategories, are pretty meaningless outside of marketing. Besides that, the only real issue one should be concerned about is rather a game, regardless of what genre its developers say it falls into, is fun to play or not.
SwimSuperfan
theeyeisblind
Posts: 4,910
Registered: ‎02-21-2005
0

Re: TES 4: oblivion is not an RPG, get over it.

Reply to bSoup - Message ID#: 55594219

 


bSoup wrote:
There have been people who've said that Madden 10 has many RPG elements, and in a lot of ways, that's true. But really, the labels are just there to show people what kind of a game they're looking at. That's all.......
....
To call every game an RPG is about as wrong as saying that certain games shouldn't be called RPGs based on a rigid definition of the term, because certain games, even if they do include a level of character development and customization, weren't designed or marketed as RPGs, but as action games.

 

1) fuuuuuudge you and your goddamn wall of text ( that i had to actually read while drunk)

 

2) until you can actually differentiate madden 10 from oblivion from zelda from bioshock, from mass effect 2 then you have no **alf** case!

 

i win again! holy **alf** people i thought that the adult swim forum would ACTUALLY be able to debate me on this issue! so far, not the case....

i got sigs turned off so don't bother trying to impress me with your cleverness
and if my grammer svcks or i am overly pi$$y then its because i'm drunk
SwimHipster
bSoup
Posts: 1,659
Registered: ‎03-23-2010
0

Re: TES 4: oblivion is not an RPG, get over it.

Reply to theeyeisblind - Message ID#: 55594295

I did...twice. The term RPG is just a marketing tool. The term sports game is just a marketing tool. That is the only reason why Oblivion is called an RPG and why Madden is called a sports game. Seriously, call 'em whatever you want, but that's really all there is to it.
SwimSuperfan
theeyeisblind
Posts: 4,910
Registered: ‎02-21-2005
0

Re: TES 4: oblivion is not an RPG, get over it.

Reply to bSoup - Message ID#: 55594313

 


bSoup wrote:
I did...twice. The term RPG is just a marketing tool.

 

sure, i won't deny that. but in what way does that make madden 10 any less an RPG than oblivion?

 

you can tell that my definition is gaining traction by the popularity of TRUE rpg's, they are getting more common whereas pseudoRPG's are dissapearing faster than FF titles!

i got sigs turned off so don't bother trying to impress me with your cleverness
and if my grammer svcks or i am overly pi$$y then its because i'm drunk
Swimmortal
harryfrodo
Posts: 43,399
Registered: ‎06-15-2003
0

Re: TES 4: oblivion is not an RPG, get over it.

[ Edited ]

Reply to theeyeisblind - Message ID#: 55593421


theeyeisblind wrote:

 


harryfrodo wrote:
Actually, what you believe is denialist logic.

The reality of the matter is that Madden is a sports game and Oblivion is an RPG.

If you want to believe otherwise, be my guest. Just shut up about it because it doesn't do anyone any good.

 

madden is a sports game, oblivion is an action adventure, mass effect 2 is an RPG

 

by your logic: the force unleashed = RPG (stats, 1 choice), along with madden 10, mario, sonic and tomb raider. or i suppose you can deny any of that?

 

thats right!!! suuck on that logic goober cuz it doesn't get any easier from here on out!

 

 

 


Uh, no. There's no "logic" to get here.

Madden is a sports game.

The Force Unleashed is an action-adventure game.

Oblivion is an RPG.



Why is this such a big deal to you anyway?
SwimIcon
Leon_McNichol
Posts: 11,241
Registered: ‎01-20-2005
0

Re: TES 4: oblivion is not an RPG, get over it.

Reply to harryfrodo - Message ID#: 55596051

Maybe he feels that the Games folder needs a dedicated troll?

Though, going by his definition...I may have something in my collection that contradicts his whole "JRPGs aren't REAL RPGs!" argument.



...also, I may need to take a break from Ace Attorney Investigations.
Current ASWF Record: 22-31-1: Singles, 14-7: Tag (Total 36-38-1)ASWF Chairman AND Tag Team Champion with Dae Veritas, Member of Millennion (Leon_McNichol,TrigunCheech, Dae Veritas)
Dates to remember: 07/19/08 & 12/9/08
The current ASWF Ronin Rankings
SwimHipster
bSoup
Posts: 1,659
Registered: ‎03-23-2010
0

Re: TES 4: oblivion is not an RPG, get over it.

[ Edited ]

Reply to theeyeisblind - Message ID#: 55594389

Your argument is one of the worst I've heard in the history of video game arguments. That is, that the fact that both games feature stat building--which is the only thing both games have in common mind you and is standard for most games marketed as sports titles and RPGs--makes them both RPGs. That's it. According to you that means that these two games should be categorized in the same genre or that the genres should be rethought of to accommodate the fact that Oblivion isn't a "true" RPGs. Never mind the vastly different gameplay mechanics, premises, settings, etc. But that's not really what bothers me about your argument. The issue is: Why should it matter? You know what I generally call Oblivion? Not an RPG. I call it That Buggy Piece of **alf** I Couldn't Beat Because I Couldn't Give Some Dumb Hag Who Was Supposed To Cure My Vampirism a Shoot of Effing Bloodgrass. Sure, I actually could've beaten it, but I didn't wanna play as a vampire and I sure as hell wasn't about to restart my game entirely. And it doesn't change the fact that it's a buggy piece of **alf**. And what do I call Madden 10? This Year's Madden Clone With Updated Player Rosters and New Menu Screens and Music. Terms like RPG don't take into account the quality of the games. So it doesn't matter...in the least. I know you're just trolling, but seriously, this was the best you could come up with?  And you did this twice that I know of, for crying out loud.

SwimSuperfan
ShizuoHeiwajima
Posts: 3,121
Registered: ‎02-13-2010
0

Re: TES 4: oblivion is not an RPG, get over it.

Reply to theeyeisblind - Message ID#: 54932189

According to IGN, it is an RPG. <_<

And IGN > post.
If I could leave the DRRR!!-verse, I'd go chill with Misaka and Reki.
Swimmortal
Chappi_The_Rabbit
Posts: 41,246
Registered: ‎07-12-2007
0

Re: TES 4: oblivion is not an RPG, get over it.

Reply to Chappi_The_Rabbit - Message ID#: 54968307

Madden is obviously a fighting game because you can tackle someone and physical contact often means fighting
"You will eat the strawberry, creature of flesh!"
ユニバァァァス!
SwimIcon
HakuSelphir
Posts: 11,113
Registered: ‎05-27-2009
0

Re: TES 4: oblivion is not an RPG, get over it.

Reply to theeyeisblind - Message ID#: 54932189

You're pretty stupid, yo.

You do know there is such a thing as hybrid genres, right?

Oblivion is an RPG with Action/adventure elements.

Fallout 3 is a an RPG with Action/adventure elements.

What are the differences in FO3 and Oblivion?

FO3, you are a child born in the Vault. You are imprisoned in the vault, never to be let out until an unfortunate circumstance lets you free to see the world, where you explore, do quests, level up, shoot things, and unravel a short plot that hardly means anything to the game compared to all of the wandering around and side questing.

Oblivion, you are a criminal who is locked away in a dungeon. You are imprisoned in the dungeon never to be let out until an unfortunate circumstance lets you free to see the world, where you explore, do quests, level up, shoot things, and unravel a short plot that hardly means anything to the game compared to all of the wandering around and side questing.

As you can see, the only differences are....dungeon and vault. :smileyindifferent:


By your logic, any game with any type of character progression is an RPG. So, I guess we should all accept that GTA is an RPG, guize!
MyAnimeList
XBL: DeathPredator69
I Am The Anti-Fanboy!
SwimStar
dr_gonzo
Posts: 6,003
Registered: ‎06-25-2003
0

Re: TES 4: oblivion is not an RPG, get over it.

Reply to theeyeisblind - Message ID#: 54932189

 


the sims is the only true rpg.

 

One toke over the line