Order of the Kitty
Glodson

Re: IMO, pure Atheism and Religious fanatacism....

Reply to SchmahxgnTheFifth - Message ID#: 63829275

Okay, what evidence do you have for the existence of the supernatural?

And let's address this as well, what atheism can mean. There's two flavors in a sense. And an individual atheist can be of both "flavors" at the same time. If you are talking about a specific god, like the Abrahamic God, then I'm a strong atheist. I don't believe that god exists. I am making the claim that that particular god has no real existence, with the qualities exposed by the various Abrahamic religion's holy books and theologians. That's strong atheism, it is the direct claim that there is no god, or at least a certain god.

Now, in general, I'm a weak atheist. I find the claims that any supernatural entity that could be labeled as god exists to be lacking. They are lacking, in a word, evidence. I see nothing that requires a deity to exist, nor do I see evidence of any deities existence in my day to day life.  In essence, I'm refusing to reject the null hypothesis of no god until proof for god is put forth. Our existence is not proof as we have evidence of naturalistic causes for our existence. While human evolution is a complex process, it is no more complex than the evolution of any other animal. It is our brains that are our primary advantage when it comes to evolution. We have a long gestation time, and an extended adolescent period. We take much longer to develop into adulthood than any other species. We can track the evolution of our species in the fossil record. A larger brain, and tool use that comes with it, has a clear advantage. There's no need, or evidence for, a supernatural force to drive this.

Until there is sufficient hard evidence to suggest otherwise, I cannot make the claim that god exists. So I default to the position that there is no evidence for the existence of god. Proving that no god at all exists is hard. Perhaps impossible. That is not sufficient cause to believe in god either.  See Russel's Teapot, Burden of Proof,  and Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence, and God of the Gaps, which seems to be akin to the argument put forth here.

Order of the Kitty
Glodson

[ Edited ]

Reply to Sieg67 - Message ID#: 63833557

Sieg67 wrote:

KnightStar wrote:
This thread would have looked nice over in Babbling, that's for sure.

Speaking of, I got this from over there.
http://mightymag.org/category/darwin-was-wrong/

Posting for lulz.

Allow me to retort with this.

And this.

Edit: and I want to add in a link to Project Steve, which is the response to people who claim there is some controversy over evolution in scienctific circles. Hint: there isn't.

Swimuminati
TrigunBebop

[ Edited ]

SchmahxgnTheFifth wrote:
There is evidence of a supernatural force in the universe

Nope.avi

TrigunBebop pops where it pleases.

:heart: Calfy, I choose you! :heart:

"I picture you as the duck from Duck Tales that dives in to the money. Except the money is balloons." -AwkwardGayBlackKid

Astral Wolf
klinkinparkfan

Pod 6 is that way.
Control. Corrupt. Dominate.
SwimHipster
IamERR0R

I don't see the connection.

The Gallows weren't supposed to look like this.