Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
SwimNerd
ZeroBeholder

Re: Best anime on Netflix instant play?

[ Edited ]

Reply to footies - Message ID#: 54218876

This is from my viewing history, there is more, it cuts off after a few years though. I liked the episodes of Inuyasha I saw, but have not seen the whole series. That means Inuyasha isn't on my list. Also, I'm not really sure what anime is exactly just yet-- I'm going with 'cartoons' as a working definition though.

I am new to anime. The nice thing about Netflix is it is not hentai or manga or whatever. I never have to worry about my wife walking in-- except for the fact I am a grown man that likes to watch cartoons.

Right now I am watching X from CLAMP. It is okay.

Clannad **noel** balls in the beginning. But, it is somewhat necessary backstory for the kick ass second season where they managed to get a hold of very adult and riveting writers. I like a story that tears my guts to pieces and this is the clear winner.

Watch

Clannad

Full Metal Alchemist*

Trigun*

Gungrave*

Last Exile**

Aeon Flux

Maybe Watch

Chobits

Angel Beats

Chrome Shelled Regios

Heat Guy J

Ghost in the Shell**

Astro Boy

Skip

Guin Saga

And the one non-anime:

Without a doubt call up all the seasons of Battle Star Galactica.

*Visually Good

**Visually Stunning

Thanks for the suggestions. I wasn't sure as to what to watch next.

-----Edit-----

Clannad is mostly about a guy student's life. The first season is tough to get through. But, the second season takes an iteresting turn and it is by far one of the better stories that I have experienced. It is a drama.

Full Metal Alchemist is a story about Two Brothers kind of out there by themselves, it is a coming of age and redemtion story. I liked it, the ending was okay. It was the first anime I really got into.

Trigun was just nice to watch and it had a good redemption story on top of an amnesiac journey story.

Gungrave is another redemption story, anyone else seeing a pattern. Sheesh

Last Exile is a lot like Full Metal Alchemist, but it is a pair of childhood friends and they are flying their parent's vanship.

Aeon Flux is from MTV that I watched as a kid, I just wanted to see it in order. Read the story about cloning independently from the cartoon, it is interesting.

Chobits It is a story about anthropomorphic robots, one of which is special and a normal ?college? age guy finds it.

Angel Beats relatively good, school age kids fighting each other in a school arena, twist at the end

Chrome Shelled Regios a skilled fighter gets expelled from an elite group, gets picked up by a roving city that is run as an academy

Heat Guy J a slacker with a sharp wit gets a detective type job with an android partner via nepotism, unravels a kind of tangled story

Ghost in the Shell** very famous anime series toys with the ideas about what it means to be human

Avatar the last airbender is hunted because he is the avatar-- the one being that can manipulate all four natural forces

Astro Boy old cartoon that is kind of like a pinocchio clone

I evenutally made a favorites list.

I'll keep this later post on page 8 updated:

http://boards.adultswim.com/t5/Other-Anime/Best-anime-on-Netflix-
instant-play/m-p/65699674#M2544095

Put on your big boy pants and deal with it. Cripes, you whiny meatbags.
My favorites
This link is for me to grab a new series I saw on other people's like lists
Swimmortal
naraku361

Reply to JABA_Juice - Message ID#: 59650278

JABA_Juice wrote:

All The Ghost In The Shell Of Course. 

Devil May Cry

Black Butler 

Why did you bump a 2010 thread to reccommend stuff to someone that hasn't logged on in over a year and a half?

There are other rec. threads that are more recent. And by people that are still here. :smileyindifferent:

You're all dumb, I'm smart. Because I said so.
I was afraid. Her eyes said "Mount me!" but her lips said "Nice shirt." - Ebon
SwimNerd
ZeroBeholder

Reply to naraku361 - Message ID#: 63152557

For the search terms I put into google, this (specifically) was on the first page high in the search results. An older page will score better than an identical newer page. So, the related threads you are recommending (non-specifically) will not likely be seen by people that are similar to myself. This was the main reason for my post here.

You saw that I replied to the root of the thread, which was the appropriate thing to do as I thought I could add some new value to the conversation and did not have anything to say to any specific user. In regards to people that have over 35,000 posts on a single forum I can see why my actions might look illogical. I on the other hand use the whole Internet and choose to improve it for any reason (or no reason at all) by whim.

Because I am addressing you directly, I am replying to your post. The post before me was from last October in 2011. So this being early in 2012, it's not like I resurrected something from the stone age.Please be happy I am participating in the same community you are a part of and adding valid and well organized value. Please take note. You may be significant. But it is not yours, you did not pee on it. That is the impression you are giving whether it is your intention or not. From my perspective, you would be better off guiding people that would create new threads to existing older threads and asking mods to consolidate where appropriate. Furthermore, you should reply to the user's post when you are asking questions. The only reason I saw this was because I finished X and came back to choose something else to watch from the lists provided by users that posted before I did.

We can be friends in the future, but simmer down and think about what you are doing when you are doing it.

Everyone is dumb. Even me.

Everyone seems to think I'm smart. I'm not. I'm just not as dumb most of the time.

My favorites
Swimmortal
naraku361

[ Edited ]

Reply to ZeroBeholder - Message ID#: 63155809

:smileyindifferent:

I wasn't actually asking you. I misread the dates on the previous posts and thought the post I was replying to had been made only a few days ago, rather than back in Oct. As in to say, I didn't actually realize you'd been the one to bump it.

But, no,  having 35,000 posts doesn't mean I look for threads using Google. It means I probably use the in-site search engine, considering how rarely much of anything from the ASMB actually shows up on Google. So, I don't really see how I'd come to that conclusion....?

You're all dumb, I'm smart. Because I said so.
I was afraid. Her eyes said "Mount me!" but her lips said "Nice shirt." - Ebon
SwimStar
RandAlThor13

Reply to ZeroBeholder - Message ID#: 63155809

Naraku pees on all of us, therefore he owns us.

Let the Dragon ride again on the winds of time.
SwimStar
Pandaka

I hate a moral coward, one who lacks a manly spark. I just detest a man afraid to go home in the dark.
I always spend my evening where there's women wine and song but like a man, I always bring my little wife along.
I'm a member of the Midnight Crew I'm a night owl, and a wise bird too.
Home with the milk in the morning Singing the same old song~
Commoner
aquaunitpatrolsquad1

I just found out that Netflix doesn't have nearly enough Bleach. If anyone hasn't seen Howl's Moving Castle, I suggest you do. It's a great anime movie.

I play music for a living. I'm a young person.

Don't bother me unless you wanna talk about fun stuff.

I have no patience for annoying [as]holes.
SwimGuru
Fuku_Yuri

Baccano! and Soul Eater

SteamID: FukuYuri http://steamcommunity.com/groups/asmb
And EVA still suks!
Beans and Cornbread!
Fart Party
R.I.P. Satoshi Kon
SwimNerd
ZeroBeholder

Reply to ZeroBeholder - Message ID#: 63150199

Watch:

Gankutsuou: The Count of Monte Cristo

Maybe Watch:

X

Gankutsuou was different enough from the oldie-moldie story that keeps getting rehashed to make it it's own new thing.

X was unusual, it was straight-forward and I respect the ending even if the whole was not worth five stars. If you want a different type of apocalypse story, this is one of those.

Going to give Dead Leaves a spin.

My favorites
SwimSuperfan
Duo-Yuy

Reply to ZeroBeholder - Message ID#: 63227127

wow at nobody mentioning Angel Beats
PSN Crossbone-F93
SwimPunk
WREQU1EM

Reply to Pandaka - Message ID#: 63159069

trololol aribender and fruits basket
I say forget FMA and watch FMA brotherhood
Baccano is awesome and so is brotherhood
i like turtles
SwimNerd
ZeroBeholder

Reply to Duo-Yuy - Message ID#: 63227551

Check my first post, it's there. Angel Beats was good. I just thought there were others that were somewhat better.

Waiting on Air to be licensed to Netflix since Angel Beats was good and they also did Clannad which I thought was excellent.

If you liked Angel Beats, try possibly Chobits.

My favorites
SwimSuperfan
Duo-Yuy

Reply to ZeroBeholder - Message ID#: 63231415

I watched afew eps of Clannad last year got a fruits basket vibe from it
PSN Crossbone-F93
SwimThreadless
Fighting_Panties

Reply to Duo-Yuy - Message ID#: 63227551

Duo-Yuy wrote:
wow at nobody mentioning Angel Beats

I just finished it.  It's worth checking out.

SwimSuperfan
Duo-Yuy

Reply to Fighting_Panties - Message ID#: 63244529

It is for north reason Yurippie and Iwasawa
PSN Crossbone-F93
SwimThreadless
Fighting_Panties

Reply to Duo-Yuy - Message ID#: 63244585

Yep.

Swimmortal
EyeOfPain

Reply to Duo-Yuy - Message ID#: 63244523

...Really?

My animé & figure collections

XBL: ItTakesAnIdiot

Anime Sols: The Future of Anime's Past

SwimNerd
ZeroBeholder

Reply to Duo-Yuy - Message ID#: 63244523

Yeah, season 1 of Clannad was not great.

It's season 2 that is the reason you should keep your head down and get through it.

Season 1 is for twelve year old girls and boys-- season 2 has some hard core things to think about in it.

The content becomes dark and horribly interesting.

It makes better sense if you watch things from beginning to end.

My favorites
Commoner
aquaunitpatrolsquad1

Reply to ZeroBeholder - Message ID#: 63253043

I've never heard someone use the phrase "horribly interesting" before.

SwimNerd
ZeroBeholder

Maybe Watch

Tokko

Avoid

Dead Leaves

Tokko was good; however, there is only one season and there are no current plans for the second season to happen.

Dead Leaves was horrible. I had to create a new category for it.

My favorites
Commoner
aquaunitpatrolsquad1

Reply to ZeroBeholder - Message ID#: 63268641

Mostly everything on Netflix is decent. If it has over three stars its worth watching or at least trying out.

I don't think there are that many anime fans that have watched every single episode of every series they have tried.

SwimPunk
Larechar

[ Edited ]

My views on Anime are kinda stringent.  I don't like it when an anime doesn't finish something.  That said,

*Trigun - This has been my favorite anime since '98 when it released.  Best ending ever.

*Samurai 7 - Holy crap!  Great anime, great ending, and a bit of a tear-jerker.  Shows the way of the warrior quite well.

*Afro Samurai - Ha..  Freakin' sweet.  I own this anime, but Netflix has it also.  The movie (Afro Samurai: Resurrection) detracts from it, in my opinion.  Better off just watching the series.

*FLCL - I watched this on Adult Swim some years before netflix, and haven't seen it since.  I remember it being very fast-paced and funny, somewhat confusing, and having a strange ending.  I remember loving it, though.

*Jyu-Oh-Sei - Easily one of the better anime shows on Netflix.  Also great ending.

*Gungrave - Much better than I thought it would be.  My ducts actually teared a bit in the last episode.  Okay, kind of a lot, actually.  What a tear-jerking ending!

*Samurai Champloo - The fighting in this anime is the best I've ever seen.  As a martial artist who trains with weapons, I was incredibly appreciative of this anime.  Good ending, too.

*Moribito - Great, and I was very excited...  Until it ended.  It still ended and was worth watching, but it felt like the writers forgot to come back later and address two things.  That's the only problem I had with it.  Visually stunning.

*Elfen Leid - Great, and it ended well, too.  Pretty intense battles.

*Demon King Daimao - God, I thought this was going to be terrible; however, it was fast-paced and fun, full of action, and boobies, too.  I was pleasantly surprised.

*Avatar:  The Last Airbender - While this is not technically Anime and is geared more for kids, it's one of the better animated shows that I've ever seen.

*Full Metal Alchemist - Good anime, worth watching, confusing as hell ending.  I hear the movie clears up the confusion, and I hear that FMA: Brotherhood is better than FMA, but I haven't seen those.

*Rin - ........Don't watch this.  It's on my list because apart from the only issue I have with it, it is an amazing story with a solid ending and it is short, sweet, and to the point.  Six episodes each around 44 minutes long.  Your tastes may be different, but it was very hard to stomach the constant sex and killing (same time).  In my opinion those two shouldn't occur at the same time, but, if you can take it, or enjoy that level of kinkiness, then watch it.  If not, then skip.

*Claymore - Eh.  So-so.  Worth watching.

*Devil May Cry - I hated this, but it wasn't necessarily bad.  I've never played any of the games, so that just might be a prerequisite.  As purely an Anime (not taking the games into account), it was worthless.  No character building, no conflict that wasn't washed away instantly, and no building climax.  If you've played the game and liked it, then I'm sure you would enjoy it better than I could, so it's on the list.  It does have an ending of some sort.

*Soul Eater - Pretty awesome, but super weak ending.  Closed it off well enough, but was anticlimactic.

*Deathnote - Personally, I much prefer the live-action movies they made; the anime is still good, though, and it definitely ends.

*Basilisk - Nice and dark, definitely ends, and very much so worth watching.  Very dark.

The above are the Anime on Netflix that I've seen that end.  The next list is defined differently.

*Kenichi:  The Mightiest Disciple - Worth watching, but only half-ends.  I really liked it, and would recommend it, anyway, though.  Not dark at all.

*Inuyasha - Good anime; probably one of my favorites for storyline.  (SPOILER ALERT - no ending.  the last episode is the whole crew not having gotten anywhere in their quest.  back to square one, basically, and Naraku is still alive, and possesses nearly the entire Sacred Jewel still. END OF SPOILER)

*Naruto - Geared for kids, I hear it doesn't end, and Naruto Shippuden isn't on Netflix.  The most filler episodes that I've ever seen in any anime.

*Bleach - Netflix only has up until the end of the "Bount Run," so don't expect any closure.

*Trinity Blood - Well, this show reminded me so much of Trigun that I was ecstatic while watching it, but, (SPOILER ALERT - it doesn't end.  The end of the series is basically, "Hey, well, we'll just keep going!"  Just like Inuyasha. END OF SPOILER)

A lot of these anime are on Netflix, but don't show up under the Anime Genre tabs, so you may have to search by name.  They are all on netflix, though, as of this post.

Off of Netflix I recommend Cowboy Bebop, Outlaw Star, Yu Yu Hakusho, Tenchi Muyo, and Gundam Wing.  I also hear Gantz is very good, dark and brutle like Elfen Leid, but I haven't actually seen it.

I'm currently watching X, but I'm gradually getting more and more disappointed.  If it doesn't end well I will probably hate it.

My list of Anime to watch next is Sekirei, Eden of the East, Darker than Black, Noein, and something else that I can't remember, in no particular order.  Probably Eden of the East after X.  Unfortunately, my computer isn't working, and I have an xbox 360, so I can't use the computer to go to an anime website.  Netflix is all I can use.  Sad day.

My favorite anime in order are probably Trigun, Cowboy Bebop, Samurai Champloo, Samurai 7, and Jyu-Oh-Sei, so far.

ETA: Just finished the show X. Biggest regret of my life. I would not suggest it to anyone. 1 star.
SwimPunk
Larechar

Reply to Larechar - Message ID#: 63269147

Ah I forgot about Mushi-shi.  Great anime!  But, absolutely no plot, and every episode is unrelated.  I'm sure there's someting else I'll remember at some point, but that's the gist of it for now. 

SwimNub
Garrond

Reply to Larechar - Message ID#: 63269147

Gantz (although not on Netflix) is pretty amazing and by far one of the most "brutal" anime I've ever seen, also quite emotionally engaging and what a great idea for a show. 

I do believe Blue Gender is on Instant Play now, however, so is the movie. The series: A+, amazing anime, great story and characters (although the protagonist is a bit of a **noel** in the beggining) Movie: watch if you like the series, it's kind of like a SUPER watered down video synopsis of the series with a few extra scenes here and there.

I also enjoyed Planet of the Beast King and Tokyo Majin.

Thanks for suggestion of Basilisk, I am enjoying it.

SwimSuperfan
Duo-Yuy

Reply to Garrond - Message ID#: 63282821

AMG is good shane only season two streaming.
PSN Crossbone-F93