Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
SwimIcon
Whelp

Re: AFI Can Slurp the Goo From my Colon.

Reply to Icarus27k - Message ID#: 23124278

That's not mine, that's KaptKrunch's.
I'm lunarnoodle, man.
he was very abrasive with his crotch
Order of the Owl
Icarus27k

Reply to Whelp - Message ID#: 23124324

I see.

*Being sincere* Well, if I ever make a movie, Whelp, I'll try extra hard to impress you. And if you rip my movie a new one, I just don't know what I would do.

;
SwimLegend
gheelnory

Reply to Whelp - Message ID#: 23103795

Since we have a new page, I'll cut and paste you, though I wouldn't presume to emulate Arrem and comment on your every comment:

Whelp wrote:

#89: Patton. I love war film. Let me say that unequivocally. Deerhunter still gives me chills, and Platoon is just so chock full of steamy goodness that it never fails to excite. So, why, I wonder, did Full Metal Jacket fail to make the list, while this (while certainly watchable) mostly mediocre film slide in under spot 90? I don't get it.
#88: Easy Rider. Okay, I'd be a **bleep** for dissing this one, obviously. I'd probably put it in the sixties somewhere, but I do want to say one thing...: Dennis Hopper. Okay, man?
#87: Frankenstein (1931). Whew. It's the Boris Karloff one. Don't panic. Still, 87? Hmm. A bit too generous, if you ask me. Bela Lugosi pwnt Boris Karloff, hard. If the DeNiro one had been directed well, it would have been a good successor to the throne. Alas.
#86: Mutiny on the Bounty. Holy crap! This is the 1935 version. These douchenozzles dissed Brando for some drek hack job done in the 30's. I am outraged!  Didn't they go with originals-over-remakes throughout the list?   Except for The Maltese Falcon, which you haven't gotten to, yet.
#85: Duck Soup. Ha ha. Groucho Marx. I kind of hated it when Yuna says the name of this film in FF X-2, and since that game is such a nightmare, I have come to hate the film by association.  Well, we've already dealt with your comments on this one.  Go back and read Page one, people!!!
#84: Fargo. A lot of people hate this film. I am not one of them. The Coen brothers can be hit or miss, but this was a definite hit. William H. Macy is superb, and Frances McDormand is adorable as a pregnant cop. Stellar film, even Buscemi shines (though not like he does as Donny in The Big Lebowski, a film unfairly omitted from this berk's list).  A great movie  (yes, I can agree with you).
#83: Platoon. The only forceful performance of Charlie Sheen's career. Poor guy. It's a cautionary tale. This flick should be in the top fifty, and I fling my dingleberries at AFI for giving it short shrift.
#82: Giant. Another one I had to look up. 1952. Rock Hudson. Liz Taylor. Somthing tells me I'm not missing much. *yawn*   People who are into this one are mainly James Dean fans, women who are not also James Dean fans, and Texans.
#81: Modern Times. I actually suggest you try finding this. Chaplin is a screen wizard. Maybe he lacks the pointy hat and robe, but he can make you go from laughing uproariously to the verge of tears in only a few seconds. What's more, he can do it without being schmatlzy or sappy. This is a great film, and is one of the few flicks that is in the spot it deserves.
#80: The Wild Bunch. Give me a break. If I wnat to see old men being crooks, I'll go to a board meeting of any Fortune 500 corporation. There's nothing really redeeming in this movie, and shame on AFI for seeing something that isn't there.

~to be continued.

For this segment of the list, I sort of more or less kinda agreed with you, more often than not.

(Alert the media!)

I don't know how he does it but he lives like a king and he dallies and he gathers and he plucks and he shines,
And when the man dances certainly, boys, what else? The piper pays him! Yes sir, yes sir, yes sir, yes sir,
When the man dances, certainly, boys, what else? The piper pays him! Yessssir, Yessssir…
SwimIcon
Arrem_Lowlander

Reply to sleepyirv - Message ID#: 23110101

sleepyirv wrote:

Arrem_Lowlander wrote:

#96: The Searchers. John Ford did some interesting films from time to time, and if you're in the right mood, the Duke can be a light diversion, but to call this a great film is to do injustice to classics like Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure and Strange Brew. Watch it if you must, but bring beer and lots of it. **N/A** Never saw it. Sorry.

Never seen The Searchers?

I'm removing your right to judge Westerns.

Yeah.

I have the power to do that!!!!!!!

Message Edited by sleepyirv on 02-01-200602:25 PM

Dang! I just got b/itch slapped like Lloyd Bridges in High Noon.

So much for being honest.

"Computers are like Old Testament gods; lots of rules and no mercy." - Joseph Campbell
Abbreviation is the death of the soul.
Close Personal Friend of Al since 1983
SwimIcon
Arrem_Lowlander

Reply to SuperA450 - Message ID#: 23116653

SuperA450 wrote:

Arrem_Lowlander wrote:

Yawn.

Right, well I'm all sleepy and stuff. I may just copy and roll with the list sometime tomorrow. If you're very lucky, I might connect all the films to Kevin Bacon for you. Keep going, whelp. It's a cool idea.

Heh heh. Lowlander, you should go on tour as a circus act.

THE AMAZING LOWLANDER!
WATCH AS HE CONNECTS EVERY PERSON IN THE AUDIENCE TO KEVIN BACON IN LESS THAN 2 MINUTES!
OOH AND AH AS HE REFERWENCES OBSCURE SWEDISH LITERATURE TO EXPLAIN THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN HAM AND SPAM!

"If you're very lucky, I might read you some of my poetry first."
     - The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

So there's that.

I've made plenty of references to obscure Icelandian literature, but you'll have to find them for yourself. Do Peer Gynt references count for Sweden? Or was that Norway?

Lastly, spam is spiced ham as opposed ham which is just... ham.

"Computers are like Old Testament gods; lots of rules and no mercy." - Joseph Campbell
SwimLegend
gheelnory

Reply to Arrem_Lowlander - Message ID#: 23126192

Norway.
I don't know how he does it but he lives like a king and he dallies and he gathers and he plucks and he shines,
And when the man dances certainly, boys, what else? The piper pays him! Yes sir, yes sir, yes sir, yes sir,
When the man dances, certainly, boys, what else? The piper pays him! Yessssir, Yessssir…
SwimIcon
Arrem_Lowlander

[ Edited ]

Reply to Whelp - Message ID#: 23117230

Whelp wrote:

#69: Shane. He's dead at the end, you know. A solid flick, with some good moments, but when this makes the list and The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly gets bumped off, I itch. I also notice that The Magnificent Seven fails to make the list. Shane is not as good as either of those films. **3** I always used to confuse this film with Hondo. I blame Ed O'Neil. Perfect comment there, Whelp.
#68: An American in Paris. Add a werewolf, make it London, and you got yourself a deal. Again with the musicals. High-key, flippant MGM numbers are my mom's bread and butter, and like I said, there are less obnoxious musicals out there that have better choreography, better music, and better direction. Of course, I'm not saying Gene Kelly can't dance, but his footwork was more lithe in Singin' in the Rain, and Brigadoon had better songs. Sorry, Ira. **2** This movie is just painful. I'd also mention On the Town as a better Gene Kelly vehicle. That one even has Sinatra in it.
#67: The Manchurian Candidate. Ha! Ol' Blue Eyes can act if he has to. Who knew? This flick was a great period piece, and very important for all those cold war kids. Also, when Leigh bites it, you almost fall out of your chair. Awesome suspense, moving script, just don't see Denzel Washington's remake, for the love of God. PS: Angela Lansbury :robotvery-happy:. **7** Speaking of which, you know that scene on the train between cars with Janet Leigh? Every time I see that I just picture Frank shagging her rotten. Because you know he was. Hell, the guy took Mia Farrow's virginity! This film is outstanding. It's so good, I can't even remember the name of the Dan Ackroyd vehicle that ripped it off. Angela Lansbury's uber-bi/tch level is the friggin' yardstick by which all other termagents and viragos should be judged. Great movie, required for film school just for the creative situations in it.
#66: Network. It's got a dynamite cast, but I remember seeing this as a kid and not getting it. When I saw it as an adult, I was still left cold. I never really sympatized with any of the characters. Maybe that was the point, but if I want the ravings of the insane, I'll just stick to the ASMB's, thank you very much. **6** I'm as mad as hell, and I'm not going to take it any more! That's about it, really. This film is getting old and lame fast. It feels too much like All the President's Men for my taste too.
#65: Silence of the Lambs. Wait a minute... is she a great big fat person? Yes, yes. We all love quoting this movie ad naseaum. It had the distinction of introducing most of us to Sir Anthony Hopkins, and it was one of the few tolerable roles Jodie Foster ever did. I won't disagree too much with this placement. 65 is about where it belongs. **10** Johnathan Demme directed this movie. It's his best work. His last film was the remake of The Manchurian Candidate. Which makes my head hurt. Extremely quotable, Anthony Hopkins rules. Watch it every time it's on.
#64: Close Encounters of the Third Kind. Even as a child, I never found making sculptures out of mashed potatoes to be particularly moving, you know, as a plot device. When the wife flipped out about it, I was all like, "what's her problem?" Was this a groundbreaking film? It may have been a minor step up from the cheap sci-fi of decades past, but that's not really saying much. Roddenbury did more for sci-fi on the small screen than this film did for the genre on the large. If I had to be persuaded to put this film on a top 100 list, it might edge in around #95 or so. **6** Low rewatchablity detracts from this film. It's also a little goofy with the saucers where it should be magical. Make sure you watch the director's cut for a horde of Indians humming the song. I do the thing with the mashed potatoes every time, but that's more of a U.H.F. reference for me anyway. This film marked the end of Richard Dreyfus' career as far as I'm concerned. 
#63: Stagecoach. Staple Wayne/Ford collaboration. Nothing remarkable, and I've already addressed the Western thing. Moving on... **N/A** Nope, haven't seen this one either. Maybe I shouldn't be allowed to weigh in on westerns...
#62: Tootsie. Dustin Hoffman in a dress?!?!?!? Holy cow?!?!?!? You know, when the Monty Python guys dress as dames, at least they can make it funny. This film was derivative schlock. If you have to put a cross-dressing film on the list, make it Some Like it Hot. Hey, hang on. That one is on the list at #14. Well slap my flabby rump. I guess that means we can eliminate this one in favor of Priscilla, Queen of the Desert. **6** For my money, Richard Mulligan carried this movie. It's kind of camp now, and yes, Dustin Hoffman deserves mad props, but he tried too hard! I happen to think he starred in this movie more to pi/ss off Olivier after the whole Marathon Man crying story got around than anything else. Still, it's not bad on a slow afternoon.
#61: Vertigo. Hitchcock was more of a control freak than even Kevin Smith, and it shows in his crisp, twisted thrillers. It's nice to get a view of Jimmy Stewart that isn't the wholesome boy from small-town Illinois (or whereever), but I seriously think Rear Window was better. Whoops, here we go again... Rear Window is #42. Jeepers. I suppose that means we can bump this one for another deep, meaningful psychological thriller like Caged Heat. Lord knows we need more women in prison films. **7** Kim Novak's boobs just weren't featured prominantly enough for my taste. Also, High Anxiety ruined this film for me. The "spooky-vision" doesn't help either. Still, it's a good solid Hitchcock entry. If anyone else had made the film, I'd like it even more.
#60: Raiders of the Lost Ark. Here we go. A franchise that never gets old. You can still go watch this film and be enraptured. Good call on this one. **10** Raiders of the Lost Ark remains my all-time favorite movie. I've seen it over 300 times. It's still good. Yes, that's the dude who played Dr. Octopus in Spider Man 2. Yes, that's Wolf Kahler who would later show up as a cleric in Flesh & Blood, the first Verhoeven film. Yes, that's the same gully in Tunisia where R2/D2 gets blasted in the original Star Wars. My god, I love this movie. Yes, that's the same submarine from Das Boot. Even Karen Allen is hot and she wen't to pasture only a few years later in Starman. Seriously, I cannot praise this film enough. When I was in 1st grade, I'd play on the swings at recess and loudly hum "The Raiders March." I still have my original 1981 Indiana Jones action figure. This is the movie. If you don't own a copy, you're total scum. I would have ranked it in the top 20 if not higher. "Hoe-tana mim-boosa, oom bata!"

~to be continued~

Message Edited by Arrem_Lowlander on 02-01-2006 10:53 PM

SwimLegend
Lord_MiDeentor

Reply to SwimMod_Poseidon - Message ID#: 23123653

SwimMod_Poseidon wrote:

Lord_MiDeentor wrote:

The book is good (in my opinion), but I have yet to see a film version that does it justice.

It's more of a people study than a romance; how they **bleep** up their lives for stupid reasons.

It's not a great book, but it's a good one.

I liked it a lot when I was a kid, probably because I was in a similar situation to the one Heathcliff establishes after he returns and takes ownership of the Heights.

And I find the lives of the Brontë children attracting, and this book, in a way, gives you a glimpse into how they lived and what they thought.

0/10

Good thing I only care about you for your hot body. Because you are so wrong about Emily Bronte.

Yuo were wrong about Nostradamus.

And fly fishing.
SwimLegend
gheelnory

Reply to Whelp - Message ID#: 23104528

Here's another section that hasn't yet appeared on page two:

Whelp wrote:

On with the show.

#79:  The Deer Hunter. Natty Bumppo this ain't, and thank God. Fantastic scene with the Russian roulette. Did you know that they tried taking out most of the wedding? Almost wrecked the whole flick, they did. Good decision to keep it in. Bad move putting it at 79; it ought to be around 50.
#78: Rocky. Light entertainment? Yes. Great film? No. The cinematography was medicore, the fight sequences in Raging Bull were mush more impressive, and the storyline was cliche, even then. Don't get me wrong, I like watching it from time to time, but it has no place in a top 100 list.
#77: American Graffiti. Lucas... :smileymad: my childhood dreams are forever smeared. When Jar Jar first opened his mouth, everything Lucas ever did was smeared with a patina of filth. At least we haven't seen his special edition of this flick.
#76: City Lights. Okay, we get it. Chaplin was great. Admittedly, this film is even better than Modern Times, and the blind flower girl was the template for Aeris, so I'll let it stick without any grumbling.   Three Chaplin film in this list, and no Buster Keaton.  A sad lapse.  (Highly recommended: 1927's The General.)
#75: Dances With Wolves. Costner's biggest mistake was losing his humility after this film. I haven't seen it in years, and I suspect that if it were on in the same room as me, I'd leave. It's just fine the first time around, and it's shot well for an epic film, but once you've seen it once, you've seen it enough.
#74: The Gold Rush. Chaplin again. You might think these guys are trying to say something. City Lights is better, 'nuff said.
#73: Wuthering Heights. Emily Bronte disgusts me, always has. Laurence Olivier does a good Heathcliff, but not good enough to salvage this flick. It's good to put on if you need a good, solid nap. I'd rather watch paint dry than see this chunk o' garbage again.  I've enjoyed this movie (I'm a Larry fan) but I wouldn't put it in my top 50.  It is possibly best characterized as a Period Chick Flick.
#72: Ben-Hur. Charlton Heston at his biblical best. You almost expect lightning to shoot from his eyes and fire from his rectum to incinerate his foes. Gladiator movies were done right in those days, digital wirstwatches on centurions notwithstanding (another film, I know). Too bad real epics like this are too tough to pull off these days. Everyone likes CG extras. Bah.  Heston's scenes with Stephen Boyd are a hoot.  A big "Chuck doesn't know that Stephen's been directed to play 'gay crush'" hoot.
#71: Forrest Gump. An idiot who makes it big. I hate this movie with a passion. I loathe Tom Hanks in general, and I doubly loathe him for making this mawkish, sentimental film that seems to send the message that it's okay to be stupid, because the world will sit up on its haunches for you. It excuses dimwittedness and may encourage illiteracy. I despise Zemeckis for setting this turd to celluloid, and I consider Starkey, Finerman, and Tisch to be World-class fartbubbles for producing it. Let me say it again for those of you who missed it: Forrest Gump is an awful film. The fact that it made this list at all is testament to the enduring power of the charming idiot (also, spare me your tarot/zen/tao interpretations; I'm well aware of them. I would counter by saying that this film was mad ein the secular west where stupidity ought not be a virtue).   I liked it slightly more than you did, but less than Arrem did.  I agree with your "mawkish" comment.  But it has a certain cleverness that makes it worth one viewing.
#70: The French Connection. :smileyindifferent: Gene Hackman :smileyindifferent:  Gene Hackman is sexy.  Just hearing his voice makes me want to go buy pipe fittings, take an air trip, or purchase an open-end diversified investment fund.

~to be continued~

SwimIcon
Arrem_Lowlander

[ Edited ]

Reply to Lord_MiDeentor - Message ID#: 23127309

Jane Eyre kicks total hinder. Beyond that, I'm not a big fan of any of the Bronte sisters. Hardy wrote far better books only a few years later and most of them dealt with similar subjects and themes.

The major offender of 19th Century English Literature remains Jane Austen. That b/itch can totally gnaw on my crank. Emma, Pride and Prejudice, Sense and Sensibility, Mansfield Park? I've read them all and I still hate them all. Hate, hate, hate! Thank god she died in her early forties or the world may have been subjected to more of her simplistic, soap opera crapola.

ASMB God of All Literature out...

Message Edited by Arrem_Lowlander on 02-01-2006 11:22 PM

SwimLegend
gheelnory

Reply to Arrem_Lowlander - Message ID#: 23127532

Going "out" was wise of you. 

Not that I, or any other Janite, would condescend to bandy insults with you.  But we would assuredly Pity you until you wept for mercy.

:smileymad:

Swimportant
EzraPound

I think I read Jane Eyre or I might have imagined that.  Like I imagined reading the Wide Sargasso Sea, and also like I imagined reading this thread.  Edith Wharton wasn't so bad. 

I could never make a thread this prolific.  I would think writing an essay would come first before the free time did.

Why can't I even though know anything else do about it?
SwimIcon
Arrem_Lowlander

Reply to EzraPound - Message ID#: 23127776

EzraPound wrote:

Edith Wharton wasn't so bad. 

They should have hit that tree harder in Ethan Frome. Not even Scorsese could make her stuff palatable. Bleagh.
Swimportant
EzraPound

Reply to Arrem_Lowlander - Message ID#: 23127899

I only read that one novel of hers...blah, uh, Age of innocence?  Yes, yes: Scorsese directed it.

Gee, I guess it didn't leave much of an impression on me.

...  Did you know in the time it took for me to type this Joyce Carol Oates has written six novels, four essays, and eight novellas?

Why can't I even though know anything else do about it?
SwimLegend
gheelnory

Reply to EzraPound - Message ID#: 23128117

Joyce IS prolific.  I mean, you attributed that quality to the thread, but the thead ain't in Joyce's class.

(verbosity-wise, I mean)

SwimLegend
Lord_MiDeentor

Arrem_Lowlander wrote:

Jane Eyre kicks total hinder. Beyond that, I'm not a big fan of any of the Bronte sisters. Hardy wrote far better books only a few years later and most of them dealt with similar subjects and themes.

The major offender of 19th Century English Literature remains Jane Austen. That b/itch can totally gnaw on my crank. Emma, Pride and Prejudice, Sense and Sensibility, Mansfield Park? I've read them all and I still hate them all. Hate, hate, hate! Thank god she died in her early forties or the world may have been subjected to more of her simplistic, soap opera crapola.

ASMB God of All Literature out...

Message Edited by Arrem_Lowlander on 02-01-2006 11:22 PM

I enjoyed Pride and Prejudice but didn't really care for anything else Austen wrote.

Jane Eyre's a wonderful book, but Charlotte's other works feel too similar and not as satisfying.
Swimportant
NatetheGr8

Reply to Whelp - Message ID#: 23118457

Whelp wrote:

NatetheGr8 wrote:

Why on earth is Gene Hackman surrounded by " :smileyindifferent: " ?

Hackman is great.  Like Tony the Tiger GReeeeeeaaaaT.

I quibble with you, sir.

Gene Hackman is a ham. He has narrow limits on what he can pull off. Crimson Tide showed us that, so did Enemy of the State and The Quick and the Dead, a horrible flick if ever one was made.

When he's good, he's pretty good, but not great. Good credits include The Poseidon Adventure and Mississippi Burning.

You have forgotten about The Royal Tenenbaums.  A bloody brilliant movie if you were to ask me.

But you probably won't ask me.  And we'll be forced to disagree again.

Thanks Verp, wherever you are 
Which flame_warrior are you?
NightRangersAshes wrote: Own your stupid.
SwimNerd
sselnoopS

Reply to Whelp - Message ID#: 23103280

Man, what the crap?

Here I am leaning back in my recliner, legs propped up in the air, arms hugging a freshly brewed bowl of pop-corn, completely expecting a lengthy and throughly entertaining -- perhaps even orgasmic -- denunciation of angsty emo-rockers AFI, and all I find is some nonsensical whining about a American Film Institute!

Everybody knows movies are merely a temporary fix for pornography. Shame.
I am the next internet fad.
SwimIcon
Whelp

Reply to NatetheGr8 - Message ID#: 23132296

I loathe Wes Anderson. I get his off-the-wall vision, but I just ain't buying it. Nothing he has made (especially Rushmore) has struck a chord with me. Murray is the only thing keeping his crap films afloat.
I'm lunarnoodle, man.
SwimLegend
gheelnory

Reply to Whelp - Message ID#: 23148850

Whelp wrote:
I loathe Wes Anderson. I get his off-the-wall vision, but I just ain't buying it. Nothing he has made (especially Rushmore) has struck a chord with me.

You are hereby providing the most severe challenge to one Mod's integrity, yet.

I have no doubt he'll pass the test; but ooh, what a temptation you are offering, there on the highest point of the temple.

Also:  when will you continue with the AFI's top 50, hmn?  It's a great thread, and we're all waiting for you!

SwimIcon
Whelp

Reply to gheelnory - Message ID#: 23149874

I got dumped off the boards yesterday after doing the next ten, and I'm still fuming about it. Maybe tomorrow, or after dinner tonight if I can hack up the bile in my throat.
I'm lunarnoodle, man.
SwimLegend
gheelnory

Reply to Whelp - Message ID#: 23149974

Dumped!  This is not right.  Those @&%#*#^s can just slurp the goo from my...okay, I don't have what it takes to type the rest of that; but you know what I mean.

(okay.  you need your dinner, after all.)

Swimmortal
sleepyirv

Reply to gheelnory - Message ID#: 23149874

I'm ticked off by the statement.

Honestly Whelppy, why not go after their quote list (TWO Jerry Maguire quotes?!?!?!) or the Heroes/villians list (Clarice Darling number 6?)

Movies are just too big of a target outside the vaguest statement (The list was bad)

"They couldn't shoot an elephant at this distance" - John Sedgwick, right before being shot. Battle of Spotsylvania, May 9, 1864.

"A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject" - Winston Churchill

"Poor Capablanca! Thou wert a brilliant technician, but no philosopher. Thou wert not capable of believing that in chess, another style could be victorious than the absolutely correct one." - Max Euwe
SwimLegend
gheelnory

Reply to sleepyirv - Message ID#: 23151844

You make a good point.  He could do a good job with either of those lists---and so could you, for that matter.

This list--the top 100--isn't an ideal target, because it's NOT claiming that these are The Most Entertaining Movies.  It's more  The Movies You Should See To Understand The History Of American Movies.  And that's harder to argue with.

(though I still want to see what he says about the rest of this list)

SwimLegend
KaptKrunch

[ Edited ]

Reply to Whelp - Message ID#: 23148850

Whelp wrote:
I loathe Wes Anderson. I get his off-the-wall vision, but I just ain't buying it. Nothing he has made (especially Rushmore) has struck a chord with me. Murray is the only thing keeping his crap films afloat.

Haha, your opinions really aren't jiving well with my DVD page linked in your sig.

I won't comment further except to say I agree with about 1/3 of your mini reviews, disagree with the other 1/3, and haven't seen or am indifferent toward the last 1/3.

Message Edited by KaptKrunch on 02-03-2006 01:29 AM

Official Bad Boy of IB