Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
SwimLegend
GinaSzanboti

What the hell has happened to tuna?

I haven't had to buy tuna for awhile since I had a good stockpile of Geisha tuna and haven't been in the mood for it anyway.  But now I can't find Geisha on the shelves anymore (I turned to it after they stopped selling Polar) and Bumblebee, my go-to backup, is total crap now.

For one thing, when did they change a standard can of tuna from 6 oz to 5?  I've always wondered how much of that ounceage legally has to be tuna and not the broth or water or whatever else they put in (even if it says "in spring water").  Because it seems like even less of the thinner can is tuna now.

But my main complaint is the tuna.  I have moved from the chunk light of my childhood to chunk white to solid white over the years in an effort to keep up with the deteriorating quality.  These last cans of Bumblebee solid white make me wonder if they use the word "solid" to mean "not liquid."  If so, it's still not entirely accurate.  It looks like cat food.  I can hardly press the water out of it because the tuna is so mushy the lid bends when I push on it and tuna paste oozes up around the lid.

I've read that the difference between chunk and solid come from the canning process, where they press the tuna on a screen and what breaks off is chunk and what holds its shape is solid.  It seems like now they press it on a screen and what goes through is chunk and what is merely broken apart is considered solid.  Forget making tuna cakes with this crap, it won't even hold together.

Here's a picture someone else took two years ago, showing that even then tuna labeling was questionable.  I wish the Bumblebee solid white albacore now looked as good as the Chicken of the Sea in that pic.

Someone should be sued for false labeling.

Madness is not a place one goes, it’s a spider waiting to feel the tremble of the web. -- GuiltyRed
We're all mad here. - The Cheshire Cat
SwimStar
howling_wind

Re: What the hell has happened to tuna?

Reply to GinaSzanboti - Message ID#: 55949071

Mmm, mercury.

Seems like a lot of trouble could be avoided if you could buy fresh and prepare it yourself...
Sometimes, even though you want to kill everyone, you have to know that killing just isn't the answer.

I've made that mistake too many times.
SwimLegend
GinaSzanboti

Reply to howling_wind - Message ID#: 55949395

I think that's my next step.  Trouble is, I can't keep it on the shelf for months on end if I buy it fresh.  :smileysad:

Madness is not a place one goes, it’s a spider waiting to feel the tremble of the web. -- GuiltyRed
Swimfamous
Pero1631

Tilapia is good too.

SwimHotshot
RadioCrackles

Some of the canned tuna I've eaten looked like something swished it around in their mouth before spitting it back into the can....

I ate it anyways.

There is this one brand, a local one that sells tuna that actually looks and tastes good. Can't remember it's name though...

Order of the Owl
Your_Master

OH NOES.

I read in the newspaper that there's more mercury in tuna than they're supposed to let be in it and you should switch to canned salmon instead :smileyindifferent:

:smileymad: I LIEK TUNA.

♥ ♦ ★ OWL NUMBER 283 ★ ♦ ♥

♫ ♥ ☆ All your Drifloons are belong to TrigunBebop ☆ ♥ ♫
"Well I brush the hair on my head with that. I'd rather not have a guy's pubes that close to my face, even if they are mine." -boonduck
"You can smoke anything if you try hard enough. And have enough fire." -Cau
"Tis the season to embrace all souls being devoured by Snow Hitler"- GodspreadThin
[This] [Odin says I can steal your evils] [There Will Be Blood]
SwimFan
siamesemichael

Reply to Your_Master - Message ID#: 55979064

**werd** Biological Magnification, always messing with good tasting food.

I actually never ate fish, let alone tuna.

This is just to say
Order of the Owl
covered_in_sponges

Reply to siamesemichael - Message ID#: 55979618

You've never eaten fish?

I find this hard to believe.
I'd like to thank everyone who participated and voted for an awesome competition.

Second Place- Grave by Kohikki

Third Place- Neon Genesis Evan-DELI-on by Gaynor

Also Third Place- Prophet By BadWitch

SwimFan
siamesemichael

Reply to covered_in_sponges - Message ID#: 55979636

well I have tasted fish, but I can't remember the last time I ate it.  I don't think its that I didn't like it, but cow and pig were just too good to not eat in place of it.

Its actually funny, I'm a vegetarian, but recently I've been watching food shows that serve fish in all sorts of ways that I would have loved to try.

This is just to say
SwimLegend
GinaSzanboti

That's one reason I prefer albacore - it's supposed to have less Hg in it.

Swimmortal
I_am_Jacks_STD

SwimSuperfan
GeeGeeAllen

Check out the Spanish/Mexican section of your grocery store. The can tuna from Spain costs more, but is much higher quality.

If Aliens came down to our planet and said "Take us to your leader", and we took them to Bush, they'd be like "No, SERIOUSLY! Stop Playing!!! We'll blow this whole planet Up!!!" Mike Britt
"I have no problem paying taxes because I'm an adult and that's part of the deal"- Sign at The Rally TO Restore Sanity
SwimLegend
GinaSzanboti

Reply to GeeGeeAllen - Message ID#: 55981008

There's no tuna in the Spanish/Mexican section of my grocery.  And this is a grocery that sells Mexican Coke and dozens of other Mexican imports.  I don't think they sell much of anything from Spain.  Maybe some olives and olive oil...

Likewise, no Geisha tuna in the Asian aisle.

SwimIcon
some_clever_alias

This is exactly why I stopped buying canned tuna. I switched to buying only fresh or frozen tuna. It's so quick and easy to cook that it's really not a hassle compared to the canned stuff. Tastes a lot better than canned, too.

Someday I'll try canning my own tuna. That's gotta be cheaper in the long run than buying premium cans of tuna from places like Vital Choice.

Eh, I eat more salmon than tuna anyway.

I'll be your body when your body is broken
SwimLegend
GinaSzanboti

Reply to some_clever_alias - Message ID#: 55984564

How do you cook it to get to the point of using it in salads and tuna cakes and Tuna Helper?  Just microwave it or something?  Boil it?

SwimIcon
some_clever_alias

Reply to GinaSzanboti - Message ID#: 55984676

Saute pan, a little olive oil, the tuna, and a little salt & pepper. I guess I could also cook it in the microwave, but I don't mind getting a pan dirty (easy enough to clean it when I'm done). Or I do something similar to that canning recipe I linked to: boil or poach it.

I don't do Tuna Helper. I've made tuna cakes before though from fresh tuna and they were delicious. I'm more of a seared tuna steak fan though.

I'll be your body when your body is broken
SwimStar
aeternus_flammeus

Reply to some_clever_alias - Message ID#: 55984918

Sauteed with lemon pepper. OMG.
Order of the Owl
Your_Master

Reply to GinaSzanboti - Message ID#: 55980004

GinaSzanboti wrote:

That's one reason I prefer albacore - it's supposed to have less Hg in it.

I've never tried the albacore. Is there a major difference in taste?

♥ ♦ ★ OWL NUMBER 283 ★ ♦ ♥

♫ ♥ ☆ All your Drifloons are belong to TrigunBebop ☆ ♥ ♫
"Well I brush the hair on my head with that. I'd rather not have a guy's pubes that close to my face, even if they are mine." -boonduck
"You can smoke anything if you try hard enough. And have enough fire." -Cau
"Tis the season to embrace all souls being devoured by Snow Hitler"- GodspreadThin
[This] [Odin says I can steal your evils] [There Will Be Blood]
SwimStar
olmoldy

Reply to GinaSzanboti - Message ID#: 55980004

Actually, Albacore has a higher Mercury content than "Light" Tuna.

The Types of tuna's that have the Least amount are skipjack, yellow fin,

Bigeye or ahi.

"It is good that war is so terrible, lest we become to fond of it! "
(Robert E. Lee, Battle of Fredricksburg)! " It was a Close run Thing!" (The Duke of Wellington, after the battle of Waterloo)
"And that's the way it is!" (Walter Cronkite) "Beware of Foriegn entanglements, and the setting up of political parties" (George Washingtons farewell address) "Beware of the Military Industrial Complex" (Dwight David Eisenhower's farewell address) "Power corupts, and absolute Power, Corupts, ABSOLUTELY" (Benjamin Franklin) "Three pints of Guinness, for that's what was poured, Three pints of Guinness, Three, and no more"( I thought that up) "If it is NOT Nesessary to Amend the Constitution, THEN it is Nesessary NOT to AMEND IT" (Benjamin Franklin)
"America has no Real Native Criminal Class, We just have CONGRESS" (Mark Twain) "the BEST friend a Man Can Have is a Congressman, that is Completely Bought & Paid for" (Mark Twain) "Death is more universal than Life; Everyone dies but not Everyone lives"( A. Sachs) "Show Me a Gold Mine, and I'll Show You
a Hole in the Ground , with a LIAR at the Bottom!" (Mark Twain)
SwimLegend
GinaSzanboti

Reply to olmoldy - Message ID#: 55995974

I'd read the reverse, but you're right.  Oh well, I'm already demented.  :smileyhappy:

SwimLegend
scabby

Your_Master wrote:
OH NOES.

I read in the newspaper that there's more mercury in tuna than they're supposed to let be in it and you should switch to canned salmon instead :smileyindifferent:

:smileymad: I LIEK TUNA.

Canned salmon is, by and large, disgusting, and this is coming from a man who loves him some salmon.

It's the crap parts of the meat near the spine.  You know how you can tell this?  Each can is guaranteed to have not just bones, but vertebrae in it.  I don't relish the idea of **werd** the meat from something's spinal column that much.  Unless it's Tila Tequila and I was able to kill her with my bare hands.

SwimLegend
GinaSzanboti

Reply to scabby - Message ID#: 56006122

All kinds of calcium in canned salmon spine!

SwimStar
olmoldy

Reply to scabby - Message ID#: 56006122

The Nice thing about Canned Salmon is that it is all wild caught salmon!

No Farmed salmon is allowed to be canned, so you are getting thebest

salmon for you IF you have to buy a canned fish.

(Robert E. Lee, Battle of Fredricksburg)! " It was a Close run Thing!" (The Duke of Wellington, after the battle of Waterloo)
"And that's the way it is!" (Walter Cronkite) "Beware of Foriegn entanglements, and the setting up of political parties" (George Washingtons farewell address) "Beware of the Military Industrial Complex" (Dwight David Eisenhower's farewell address) "Power corupts, and absolute Power, Corupts, ABSOLUTELY" (Benjamin Franklin) "Three pints of Guinness, for that's what was poured, Three pints of Guinness, Three, and no more"( I thought that up) "If it is NOT Nesessary to Amend the Constitution, THEN it is Nesessary NOT to AMEND IT" (Benjamin Franklin)
"America has no Real Native Criminal Class, We just have CONGRESS" (Mark Twain) "the BEST friend a Man Can Have is a Congressman, that is Completely Bought & Paid for" (Mark Twain) "Death is more universal than Life; Everyone dies but not Everyone lives"( A. Sachs) "Show Me a Gold Mine, and I'll Show You
Order of the Owl
scoobdog

Reply to olmoldy - Message ID#: 56016600

Why not farmed salmon? Is there a moratorium on it?
SwimStar
olmoldy

Reply to scoobdog - Message ID#: 56017004

That's Something you'd have to ask the F.D.A.! All I Know is All Canned Salmon Must Be Wild Caught!

It's like out here, just off the Coast of Rosarita Beach Mexico by the Coronado Islands is a Huge Tuna Farm

the catch Pacific Blue fin Tuna, put them in Huge net pens, then fatten them up for the Asian Markets!

One 300lb Blue fin can bring $2000-$6000 depending on how perfect the tuna looks! When we had a

Big storm here a while back one of the nets broke open, and these big over fed, lazy tuna's were washing up on

the beach! Still alive, but unable to swim, since they weighed so much, and had been penned up in such

small quarters, they lost the ability to swim! People were down there Having a Field day!