Search instead for 
Do you mean 
SwimHELPeR
holkimcardie1

Re: Douglas Goldstein Q&A

[ Edited ]

Reply to DouglasGoldstein - Message ID#: 61499448

DouglasGoldstein wrote:
poisonbella asked: "hi again, hate to sound stupid by asking, but i have to ask, was that "dont drink poison' skit for me???"

Yes, so now you owe me a ring ding.

Okay, but where do we send these ding dongs?  If we don't eat them before we get them mailed?

And I want to add that my all time favorite RC sketch is "Killy Bunny".

Has any of your fellow Adult Swim show people ever come to RC and either begged to be parodied?  or said don't do our show?

~ Dethklok Roadie #149 (female) ~ Red Tie Coven # 1 ~ Toki's Candygirl #2 ~ S.H.O.T.T.S. #51 ~ Dethklok Minute Reporter ~
katt_goddess wrote:~~I have not yet begun to weird.~~I still have puff paint left.
SwimArbiter
SwimMod_Luuv

Reply to SwimMod_Luuv - Message ID#: 61451812

does it bug you a lot to read negative comments about the show?  My problems with the show actually started around Season 3, when it just seemed to me like all the sketches ran together/were very similar/had the same jargon to them sort of.  For awhile there it just seemed like every sketch was about "Look at me! I'm a douche!" or some cute character being violent.  Just those two sketches over and over.

The first two seasons I thought had more variety in there.  And then - I think since then, it's opened up a bit more too.  But is that just a viewer perception?  Do you guys ever think that about your own work?  Like when things seem to run together or sketches seem similar, are there those among you that bristle more at that than others?

SwimArbiter
SwimMod_Luuv

Ratings for the show always seem solid.  I realize it's a factor, but how big a deal is that with you guys in terms of - if ratings fluctuate, do you try to react to that right away? or is it more you just do what you do and hopefully it'll all work out?

SwimHELPeR
duzitickle

Reply to holkimcardie1 - Message ID#: 61499820

holkimcardie1 wrote:

DouglasGoldstein wrote:
poisonbella asked: "hi again, hate to sound stupid by asking, but i have to ask, was that "dont drink poison' skit for me???"

Okay, but where do we send these ding dongs? 

:smileyvery-happy:
i dont think he knows what he just got himself into.
:smileyvery-happy::smileyvery-happy::smileyvery-happy::smileyvery-happy:

This bic's for you, Ry.
Warlordian Guard
Doom_Metal_Alchemist

Do you regret buying that time share? If so, what do you wish you did with the $12,000?

Robot Chicken has a sketch with The Shouter, which is a parody of The Clapper, where people just shout and the lights went on or off. I have thought of my own parody: The Crapper. People take a crap and the lights go on and off. Feel free to use that one.

What's your favorite RC sketch?

SwimSuperfan
NOTdubbed

Reply to DouglasGoldstein - Message ID#: 61499262

DouglasGoldstein wrote:
NOTdubbed asked: "How do you and others at Robot Chicken HQ feel about the Star Wars prequels? It's pretty clear SOMEONE over there has got an interest in Star Wars, but as a die hard fan, I consider the prequels pretty goddamn terrible. What's your take?"

Everyone at Lucasfilm is very nice.

Yes, but do you guys think the prequels **beast** ass? That was my main question.

██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
Warlordian Guard
Doom_Metal_Alchemist

Reply to NOTdubbed - Message ID#: 61500638

NOTdubbed wrote:

DouglasGoldstein wrote:
NOTdubbed asked: "How do you and others at Robot Chicken HQ feel about the Star Wars prequels? It's pretty clear SOMEONE over there has got an interest in Star Wars, but as a die hard fan, I consider the prequels pretty goddamn terrible. What's your take?"

Yes, but do you guys think the prequels **beast** ass? That was my main question.

I think he was purposely evading the question and giving you a hint at the same time. :smileytongue:

Con Guest
DouglasGoldstein

Reply to duzitickle - Message ID#: 61499644

duzitickle wrote:

DouglasGoldstein wrote:
duzitickle asked: "Do you have the puppet of yourself (from the bedroom scene)?
And did they run that skit by you or just toss it in there?

Do y'all accept toy donations and if so, where should we send them?
free toys, free toys, free toys."

I have the head of that toy -- that's all there is that's officially me, the sculpted head. The body you see on TV is in much better shae than my own body.  do you reuse the head if/when theres a scene for it?
And which bedroom scene are you talking about? As co-head writer I see and go over everything, so if you see a sketch where I'm being made fun of it's not gonna be a surprise for me. (Yes, the Time Share stuff is a true story). But sometimes they use my head on a toy without my knowing and it's usually for a pervert character. Dunno why...
this bedroom scene (1:07)
Free toys? No no, send us ring dings!!

dude.
youre talking to people who sent mike lazzo spinach, hamid got the teabags and merrill got the ant farms.
what would you do if y'all started getting ring dings in the mail?
cuz... youre probably gonna get some now.
:smileyvery-happy:

what do you guys do with your old props?
is there a site where we can buy them?
(cheap little stuff for the poor people, man)

I think there was more than one head sculpt made of me, so even though i have one, there's others out there still making me look like a pervert.  I haven't worn my beard that way in years though (trivia!!)

That link to the bedroom scene doesn't work -- can you describe it?

There's no way I'm giving out my address dude!  Or even the studio's address!  Man, I'd get into so much trouble, even though I'd love the ring dings.  Just think of me when you eat one, and I'll feel the love.

I don't think the old props are ever sold or thrown out -- anything that can be reused is a dollar saved ya know!

SwimStar
lupinfan83

Does Robot Chicken have to get permission to use other people's cartoon characters (thundercats, Rainbow Brite, HeMan) in a sketch or are you protected under parody?
L-"I am justice" 私は正義 M​AL
Funimation:Lupinfan83
PS3: Lawlietfan83

Con Guest
DouglasGoldstein

Reply to holkimcardie1 - Message ID#: 61499820

holkimcardie1 wrote:

DouglasGoldstein wrote:

Okay, but where do we send these ding dongs?  If we don't eat them before we get them mailed?

And I want to add that my all time favorite RC sketch is "Killy Bunny".

Has any of your fellow Adult Swim show people ever come to RC and either begged to be parodied?  or said don't do our show?

1. See the previous reply about no addresses!  Just eat one for me!

2. Thanks!  That was one of the very first sketches ever written for the show!

3. not that I recall... we sometimes try to think of ways to parody them, but most Adult Swim shows are so weird already, what can ya do?

Con Guest
DouglasGoldstein

Reply to SwimMod_Luuv - Message ID#: 61499844

SwimMod_Luuv wrote:

does it bug you a lot to read negative comments about the show?  My problems with the show actually started around Season 3, when it just seemed to me like all the sketches ran together/were very similar/had the same jargon to them sort of.  For awhile there it just seemed like every sketch was about "Look at me! I'm a douche!" or some cute character being violent.  Just those two sketches over and over.

The first two seasons I thought had more variety in there.  And then - I think since then, it's opened up a bit more too.  But is that just a viewer perception?  Do you guys ever think that about your own work?  Like when things seem to run together or sketches seem similar, are there those among you that bristle more at that than others?

You forgot the sketches about the violent douches!  But is that really the case? I never watch the show myself, it's on past my bedtime.

Con Guest
DouglasGoldstein

Reply to SwimMod_Luuv - Message ID#: 61499884

SwimMod_Luuv wrote:

Ratings for the show always seem solid.  I realize it's a factor, but how big a deal is that with you guys in terms of - if ratings fluctuate, do you try to react to that right away? or is it more you just do what you do and hopefully it'll all work out?

React right away?   No way to do that!  It takes like a  year to produce an episode!  I dunno, if anything ever goes wrong we just blame each other and then go back to work.

Con Guest
DouglasGoldstein

Reply to Doom_Metal_Alchemist - Message ID#: 61500470

Doom_Metal_Alchemist wrote:

Do you regret buying that time share? If so, what do you wish you did with the $12,000?

Robot Chicken has a sketch with The Shouter, which is a parody of The Clapper, where people just shout and the lights went on or off. I have thought of my own parody: The Crapper. People take a crap and the lights go on and off. Feel free to use that one.

What's your favorite RC sketch?

Well, we sold that timeshare to someone else for $2,000 so it was really just a $10,000 hit.  What would I like to have done with that money instead of the time share?  ANYTHING.  Setting up a regular shipment of Dunkin Donuts from NY for years, probably.

Watch for The Crapper: The Movie, coming soon.

My favorite RC sketch?  My answer to that question changes depending on how constipated I am.  Right now I'd say it was the little sketch where the mouse runs into a cirlce of cats and blows himself up as a suicide bomber.  But I haven't pooped in two days so who knows.

Con Guest
DouglasGoldstein

Reply to NOTdubbed - Message ID#: 61500638

NOTdubbed wrote:

DouglasGoldstein wrote:

Your message is not getting through.  My chambers coil is overloading my comm system.

Con Guest
DouglasGoldstein

Reply to lupinfan83 - Message ID#: 61501132

lupinfan83 wrote:
Does Robot Chicken have to get permission to use other people's cartoon characters (thundercats, Rainbow Brite, HeMan) in a sketch or are you protected under parody?

I just work here dude, you'll have to ask someone who isn't just hitting 'stumbleupon' all day instead of writing.

SwimSuperfan
EmApathy

Reply to DouglasGoldstein - Message ID#: 61501276

DouglasGoldstein wrote:

I just work here dude, you'll have to ask someone who isn't just hitting 'stumbleupon' all day instead of writing.

What's your stumbelupon profile?

Have you written anything that has been rejected from being aired on the show that you still think is a great idea that you still bring up from time to time? If so, what was it?

Jane Fonda the Original Hipster

"What we are encountering is a panicky, an almost hysterical, attempt to escape from the deadly anonymity of modern life ... and the prime cause is not vanity ... but the craving of people who feel their personality sinking lower and lower into the whirl of indistinguishable atoms to be lost in a mass civilization."

SwimStar
lupinfan83

lol, ok. In your opinion what's funnier- observation comedy which humor is based on making remarks about commonplace aspects of everyday life, or a fart?
L-"I am justice" 私は正義 M​AL
Funimation:Lupinfan83
PS3: Lawlietfan83

Swimuminati
LDK_SPARDA

Reply to DouglasGoldstein - Message ID#: 61498988

Dear Douglas Goldstein,

Do you, along with other voice actors get nervous to hear your voice as the character you portray to the tens of millions to hear on TV? Like a sense of feeling like an example, "Did I do well? Did I do excellent?" Like you feel excitement going all over you?

Also, Another question to follow along, No offense please, But why use Thundercats, G.I. Joe and Transformers all the time in every skit? Is it any legal complexity to get... Let's say a few anime parodies and video game parodies? Like... I'm gonna say at the top and one of many of my favorite as well, Devil May Cry. Created by Hideki Kamiya and under Capcom. I know you guys have used Ryu a few times. But what about some future parodies of that? Along with Bleach and Naruto? Like you did the one with Inuyasha before and Sailor Moon. Is it possible that you guys could do that? I'm curious to know.
From a fan of Robot Chicken and of your excellent voice acting,
LDK_SPARDA

SwimHELPeR
noobull

[ Edited ]

Reply to DouglasGoldstein - Message ID#: 61501110

DouglasGoldstein wrote:

That link to the bedroom scene doesn't work -- can you describe it?

Fixed the link.

Also, hello, Mr. Goldstein.

I can't remember all the various sketches you guys have done...........

Would you ever consider doing a zombie special?

Classic [as] Games Directory!Maths is important!Part TwoTotal noob podASMB rank chartTHE GALACTIC BIRD FLOWER GANG
Want a sig image? Here's one way to get one - help on the Eagleheart wiki!
Proud member of team 10000! Locked 12/11/11, but never locked in our hearts!
"Noobull is a bitchpoop vaginadog" - SwimMod_Luuv
noobull's 2014 Buccaneers prediction: 6-10 Actually: 1-7
SwimSuperfan
NOTdubbed

Reply to DouglasGoldstein - Message ID#: 61501240

DouglasGoldstein wrote:

NOTdubbed wrote:

DouglasGoldstein wrote:

Your message is not getting through.  My chambers coil is overloading my comm system.

ARGGHH!!! I see how it is! You can always PM me if you don't wanna stick your foot in your mouth, but I get that George is loaded with cash :smileywink:

Swimuminati
LDK_SPARDA

DouglasGoldstein wrote:

lupinfan83 wrote:

Not to be rude for asking, but could you ask Seth Green? I mean, you guys are really close, are you not? :smileyhappy:

SwimHELPeR
duzitickle

Reply to DouglasGoldstein - Message ID#: 61501110

The link shows your puppet hiding a sex camera.
And the girl is quite obviously disappointed...
She hollers out your name and that you're head writer for robot chicken.
(which, coincidentally, is the same thing I heard in my head when I saw your screen name)
((I watch WAY too many Robot Chicken reruns. I can't help it. :smileysad:))
:smileytongue:

Do you guys give the puppet heads to the people you're making fun of?
I mean..Mike Lazzo has to have one of the heads himself, right?

annnnnnd ok.
We will not send you ring dings.
Maybe we'll just send you creative ring ding pictures.
Like... Over this Internet.
Maybe over there in the Robot Chicken folder.
Yeah, yeah.
That's the ticket.
This bic's for you, Ry.
SwimHELPeR
duzitickle

Reply to noobull - Message ID#: 61501402

Thnx noobull!
=^______^=

I've been a little HTML stupid this past week or two.
This bic's for you, Ry.
Warlordian Guard
Doom_Metal_Alchemist

Reply to DouglasGoldstein - Message ID#: 61498988

Oh! Duzi reminded me of one. Why do you always give Mike Lazzo that weird hat? Did he just show up one day wearing it, and you guys found it funny?

SwimHELPeR
stonergoth187

[ Edited ]

Reply to DouglasGoldstein - Message ID#: 61499310

DouglasGoldstein wrote:
stonergoth187 asked: "Okay okay, I can't help but ask; what's with all the fart jokes?"

Are you serious? Farting is funny! Maybe not the way YOU do it...

:smileysad: nobody pays me

and yes, this is a serious conversation :smileyvery-happy:

So yeah, is there a way I can get one of those sculpted toy heads? If you said no and I sculpted my own makeshift Goldstein heads, would that seem creepy at all? 

When There is Fire There is Smoke
utubeIconsNerd ForumI Have Drawn YouCurrent ThemeDeviantart

♥ Toonami is the Canti to my Mamimi

*Lives in the Toonami Folder*

I make animated avatars for use within the ASMB by request, and/or just for fun. feel free to pester me with requests, tips, suggestions, etc

Oh, and if you wanna feed my siggy too

^.^♥

Matique is my love, _Star_Wolf_ is my apprentice, DarksidexXx is supah kewlzville, SirenPorcelianDoll is totally my mom, Flutie420 is my IB twin, Buddyroe360 is the broom inspector, BrainFlashAlfalfa is totally here, warcryofthecrazy is a freak, kid you not... F.R.E.A.K, Tetsu is liek a total IB celeb, 55 is the coolest kat, explosivo420 that is all, fierydoom AKA DAANNGGEERR DDOOOOMM!, VodkaJellyShot wanted to be here for unknown reasons, PostModernMartyr and i are in the same state -of mind, puffelufigus is here- i think, TexMex will always be here, Da_Killa_Ounze and i are sticky like good buds, mcbatcommander has an awsm screenname, Skiles is that guy, foryouwhynot's screen name is reason enough, Elle_Eccentric is too kewl for camp, 6clawPaw reminds me of all my polydactyl kitties

The best style is one so subtle it would negate me ever having written this sentence.

'--------------------------(+s((s~++sssssssssssssss='           
.'--------------------------(+~+/(=(ssssssssssssssss-           
''.'----------------------~~-+'.(=/+ssssssssssssssss/.          
''''-'-------------------------'.'/+/s=sssssssssssss='          
s-.-==~'-------------------------'.'(~===ssssssssssss-          
=D~.-zB=~-'-------------------------.'~/+=ss=sss=/=s+-.         
-DB(..=NBz/-'-------'-------.------.-----~/+=ss=s/+s~-'         
 +NB+. (BNND+..-.----'.------.~--'--'------~(/+ss+((~~'         
.'DNNz( -DNNNNz..'+---''.----.'~('--'-~-------(/+/--~~-.        
-.=NNNNz-'sBNNNBs.-~ -h'~' '=s+'~.---.-~----~-----'-~~-.        
-.=NNNNz-'sBNNNNBs.-~ -h'~' '=z'N~.--'-~-----~----'-~~-.        
~'-DNNNNB(~zBNNNNNBs.'-hNhz '+.'NN=.--'-~-----~~~~--~~-'        
-~.;NNNNNNBz=DNNNNNNs.-hNNN(.~sN.N='--'~---~~~~~-~-'~~~'        
''--zNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNhB-+NNN(-DDNND+'--'~~~~-~~~~~-'-~~-.       
h-'~+DNNNNNNNNNNNNNNBz-.~='.=-'...zB~'-'~~~~~~~~~~~-'~~~-.      
zBD'~BNNNNNNNNNNh'~-'=.-'=-=~..~-=~'(-~'~~~~~~-~~-~~'-~~-'      
B=Nz.zNNNNNNBz~.';sDBBNNNNNNNNNNNBDB='-'~~~~~~~~~~~~'-~~~'      
BsDNB.DNNNNz-.-=BNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNND-'-~~~~~~~~~~~''~~~'      
BNNNN+NNND( +NNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN(-'-~~~~~~~~~~~-'-~~-'     
BNNNNNNN(.sNNNNNNNNNNNNBDzzzzzBBNNNNN+---~~~~~~~~~~~~'-~~~'     
BNNNNNN+'zNNNNNNNNNh=sszzzzz.DDBNNNBBN='--~~~~-~~~~~~''~~~'.    
BNNNNNB+hNNNNNNNND=shz+'' `... '~~~;(s=;---~~~~~~~~~~'.~~~-.    
BNNNNBBNNNNNNNNND=ss(    ..       ..~--.~~~~~~~~~~~~~-.~~~-'    
BNNNNBBNNNNNNNNh//~   (ss(.'ss(..  .-'~'~~~-~~~~~~~~~-.-~~~'    
BNNNNNNNNNNNNNh~-.   'DNNB~. (NNNNs- .~'~~~~~~~~~~~~~~.'~~~'.   
BNNNNNNNNNNNNB(~'   .hNNNs    =NNNNB+'-'~~~~~~~~~~~~~~'.~~~-.   
BNNNNNNNNNNNNz/-     ~DDD/    .zNNNNN+-'-~~~~~~~~~~~~~'.-~~~.   
BNNNNNNNNNNNz=/='     '-'     .+NNNNN-'--~~~~~~~~~~~~~-.-~~~'   
BNNNNNNNNNNDs/zN~  ....  . .   (NNNNNs-'--~~~~~~~~~~~-.'~~~~-.  
NNNNNNNNNNNN=sNN+   ......     -BNNNNz-'-~~~~~~~~~~~~~-.'~~~~.  
BNNNNNNNNNNhsNNNh.......   ..  -BNNNNh-'-~~~~~~~~~~~~~~''~~~~'  
BNNNNNNNNNNDBNNNB- ..  . . .   -DNNNNh-'-~~~~~~-~~~~~~~''-~~~-  
BNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNz..........   ~BNNNDh-'-~~~~~~-~~~~~~~''-~~~-. 
BNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN+ ....'.  ../NNNNNND-'-~~~~~~-~~~~~~~-''~~~~' 
BNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN/ ....    /DNNNND=~'-~~~~~~-~~~~~~~-..-~~~- 
BNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN=-     -sNNNNN-D(~'-~~~~~~-~~~~~~~-..-~~~-.
BNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNBs-sDNNNNN~(sNB('-~~~~~~'~~~~~~~-..-~~~~'
BNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNDDDDD~hD=d=NNNNN+.-~~~~~~'~~~~~~~~.'--~~~-.
BNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNBNNNNNNNNNNNNN+.-~~~~~~'-~~~~~~-..--~~~-'
BNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN+.-~~~~~~'-~~~~~~~..--~~-.'
BNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN+.-~~~~~~'~~~~~~~-'.-~~~~''
BNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN=.-~~~~~~'~~~~~~~-'.'-~~~'.
BNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNs.'~~~~~~'~~~~~~~-'.'~~~~-.
BNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNs.'~~~~~~'~~~~~~~-''.-~~~~.
BNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNs.'~~~~~~'~~~~~~~-''.--~~~.
BNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNz.'~~~~~~'~~~~~-~-''.'-~~~'