Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
SwimStar
TheBigOFan72

Anime that could match or beat Bleach in ratings.

[ Edited ]

So currently [adult swim] is in the arc still where many, many people dropped Bleach. It's where many Japanese people started dropping the manga. The 2009 manga sales were way better than 2010's. Bleach has been struggling with it's popularity in Japan recently, and around the world even.

While Bleach ratings are still good, they could decline after we hit the arc Japan is at right now. (Spoilers from around the 340's. Do not open, or quote unless you want to get yourself spoiled.) A thing to note, this arc started after a filler arc that was a couple months long, but it was pretty good. Way better than The Bount arc.

Spoiler

Ichigo has lost all of his Soul Reaper powers after using the Final Getsugatensho to defeat Aizen. Over a year passes and the Fullbringer arc begins. The series loses nearly all of the action it once had, and it gets much slower, and kinda boring. This is where some people dropped the series, but most dropped it before that.

These guys known as Fullbringers are currently trying to find a way to get Ichigo's Soul Reaper powers back. Basically, Ichigo has become a normal High School Senior who is like a narrator now. It's kind of depressing to see Ichigo without his Soul Reaper powers, and nearly all of the action gone. This is the arc that made me like the series less than One Piece, leading to One Piece finally becoming my favorite of the big 3.

So here, suggest anime that could match or beat Bleach in ratings as they could fall when it hits that arc in two years time. If that happens, it could greatly affect ASA.

I think the only anime at the moment that has the chance of doing this is One Piece, but it's a big risk.

*Adult Swim Boards Guide and FAQ for new users (Click if you're new!)*Twitter*AnimeSols: The Future of Anime's Past*My Waifu*
Roger Smith (The Big O): "Big O!! Showtime!!" InuYasha (InuYasha): "Windscar!!" Roger Smith (The Big O): "People are not ruled by their memories!"
PlayStation Network Online ID: Videogameaddict2 Xbox Live Gamertag: BigOnAnime94 | This post has been brought to you by an otaku.
Passionate manga and anime fan since November 2008 | Gamer since January 2002 | Favorite Anime: The Vision of Escaflowne
"Don't beg for things, do it yourself, or else you won't get anything."-Adrock Thurston (Eureka Seven) | My Video Game Collection
List of legal anime streaming sites | MyAnimeList MyMangaList | My Anime Collection | My Manga Collection | MyFigureCollection
Otaku Info Broker
helpme

Re: Anime that could match or beat Bleach in ratin

Reply to TheBigOFan72 - Message ID#: 62341100

hell girl?

MyAnimeList
Anime Manga More website
Either way Don't have fun or I will hunt it down and kill it ~SwimModPerseus
Take a chill pill. Log off. You're being a jackass, and it's annoying ~SwimOdin
Come back from a weekend and you guys are trying to castrate each other Jeeze ~SwimMod_Bast
Knight SwimDeath main account 

SwimSuperfan
HolyLoliSoul

I heard about where the story went, and I'm not happy about it. That said, I can't fault Kubo for just getting kinda tired. He's been doing it a while, baby.
WE ARE GRANDMA. WALL ST = REIGNDEAR
SwimHELPeR
Sketchor

Reply to helpme - Message ID#: 62341478

helpme wrote:

hell girl?

*falls out of the chair laughing*

What they need is a show that's not hard to follow and has a good mix of comedy and action. It can have drama but it shouldn't be the defining characteristic of the show.

Tiger & Bunny is the only short series I can think of that could hope to match Bleach's ratings on Adult Swim but it's not nearly as popular as Bleach.

One Piece is IMO the only show they could get right now that's in Bleach's league but it's not as good at hiding the fact that it's a show intended for children as Bleach is.

They could have tried Soul Eater before it was streamed and fully released on DVD but now it probably wouldn't be able to keep up with Bleach.

Baccano might still be able to pull it off despite being available for a while simply because it has a lot of appeal for mainstream audiences which is something you can't say for most Japanese cartoons that have made it to America since around 2006.

Darker than Black is a little talky and the first season has been available for a long time but it's arguably the best show for the Bebop and GitS crowd they could get and it might be able to keep up with Bleach but I don't know about beating it.

Kekkaishi actually came close to beating Bleach so that's something to keep in mind I guess... so maybe Nura: Rise of the Yokai Clan being similarly somewhere between InuYasha and Bleach and maybe being at least a bit more edgy would make it a good match for Bleach.

And speaking of InuYasha... The Final Act is just 26 episodes and streaming in it's entirety might keep it from reaching the highs it once did but it can probably still keep up with Bleach or even beat it on the first run.

And I guess I should bring up Panty & Stocking since it would probably do well enough with mainstream viewers to beat Bleach and they might even give it 11:30PM or at least put it in front of Bleach because it's a comedy.

HELPeR for the TOONAMI, Mobile Suit Gundam, Dragon Ball Z, Harvey Birdman and Perfect Hair Forever boards. Feel free to ask me anything on those topics.

sketch only puts the arrogant whiney punks in their place... sort of like batman, except on the {AS} boards - THECZAROFGNAR

Sketch, should we make sure it's imprinted on your grave stone "He felt very strongly that Bleach belonged on Toonami!" - .hack-SIGN_John

"We aknowledged that Toonami is cooler than us... and they aknowledged that we're full of ****." [adult swim]
SwimSuperfan

Reply to Sketchor - Message ID#: 62343842

Naruto Shippuden

One Piece.

The other two of the "big three" basically.

I'd say more but I'm probably wrong and it would just be IMO.

Just air more anime................... Please?

:'-(

Member of the A.F.A.
SwimHipster
robertje

Reply to DemandingAnime - Message ID#: 62354832

personally one piece is old news it was tried out on english networks and didnt fair well and i dont think it will do any good now... really there isnt a lot of options for a good anime to be put on AS right now id say Deadman Wonderland but it is only 13 episodes id say a 26 episode series would fair better but nothing really is coming to mind...

"Si vis paccem parra bellum" -If you want peace prepare for war!
"Watching in the darkness, Forever in darkness, a guardian devil"
"You can't end a good party without someone on the floor" -Yusuke Urameshi
SwimHELPeR
Sketchor

Reply to robertje - Message ID#: 62361508

robertje wrote:

personally one piece is old news it was tried out on english networks and didnt fair well and i dont think it will do any good now... really there isnt a lot of options for a good anime to be put on AS right now id say Deadman Wonderland but it is only 13 episodes id say a 26 episode series would fair better but nothing really is coming to mind...

The 4Kids dub was not liked but on Toonami it got pretty darn good ratings. It kept up with Naruto for a while. The FUNimation season did even better but by that time CN was phasing out non-toyetic anime so it got dropped.

An uncut dub on Adult Swim could be a hit. You say it's old news but I say it's old enough news for enough people to forget it used to air on Saturday mornings.

Also One Piece is just behind Bleach on Hulu and that's from mostly adult viewers not kids.

It's still a risk because of it's lousy history on US television so far but the series is still going in Japan and shows no sign of ending so it's not too late to try bringing One Piece to Adult Swim.

I don't think they'd do it but it's arguably their best shot at getting ratings on par with Bleach. It's the only show not already airing that's in Bleach's league so to speak.

HELPeR for the TOONAMI, Mobile Suit Gundam, Dragon Ball Z, Harvey Birdman and Perfect Hair Forever boards. Feel free to ask me anything on those topics.

sketch only puts the arrogant whiney punks in their place... sort of like batman, except on the {AS} boards - THECZAROFGNAR

Sketch, should we make sure it's imprinted on your grave stone "He felt very strongly that Bleach belonged on Toonami!" - .hack-SIGN_John

"We aknowledged that Toonami is cooler than us... and they aknowledged that we're full of ****." [adult swim]
SwimSuperfan

Reply to Sketchor - Message ID#: 62361700

Sketchor wrote:

robertje wrote:

The 4Kids dub was not liked but on Toonami it got pretty darn good ratings. It kept up with Naruto for a while. The FUNimation season did even better but by that time CN was phasing out non-toyetic anime so it got dropped.

An uncut dub on Adult Swim could be a hit. You say it's old news but I say it's old enough news for enough people to forget it used to air on Saturday mornings.

Also One Piece is just behind Bleach on Hulu and that's from mostly adult viewers not kids.

It's still a risk because of it's lousy history on US television so far but the series is still going in Japan and shows no sign of ending so it's not too late to try bringing One Piece to Adult Swim.

I don't think they'd do it but it's arguably their best shot at getting ratings on par with Bleach. It's the only show not already airing that's in Bleach's league so to speak.

Didn't you say Adult Swim has taken risks before?

I see no reason why they can't take another risk on top of all the risks they've taken in the past, but, that's just me I suppose...

Member of the A.F.A.
Otaku Info Broker
helpme

Naruto Shippuden the Movie 2 Bonds

Disney doesn't have rights to the movies so this could work maybe

MyAnimeList
Anime Manga More website
Come back from a weekend and you guys are trying to castrate each other Jeeze ~SwimMod_Bast

SwimHELPeR
Sketchor

Reply to DemandingAnime - Message ID#: 62367772

DemandingAnime wrote:

Sketchor wrote:

robertje wrote:

Didn't you say Adult Swim has taken risks before?

I see no reason why they can't take another risk on top of all the risks they've taken in the past, but, that's just me I suppose...

The comparable risks they took before would be Case Closed and Shin Chan as both are long running family shows in Japan like One Piece.

And because neither of those shows were the mega phenomenal hits for them like they are in Japan after being given fair chances to succeed, what makes you think they'd be willing to take another risk on a 500+ episode show that has even aired on US television before and wasn't known as a success?

There's a big difference between trying a 12-26 or even 50ish episode show that might not pan out compared to buying the rights to a show with over 100 episodes much less over 500.

Can you tell me with a straight face that One Piece (especially at the begining) doesn't look like a kid's cartoon?

Shows have to be visually appealing to the audience to be successful because no matter how many times you tell someone not to judge a book by it's cover, they still judge a book by it's cover.

It's a sizable risk, DA. There's no other way to put it.

And while Adult Swim has taken risks in the past, that was back when they weren't paying to maintain the rights to 3 FOX shows and 2 100+ episode anime.

They don't have to gamble anymore so they don't. It's boring, I'm not going to say otherwise but they have no reason to take a risk on 500+ anime that is in fact intended for children to enjoy.

SwimHELPeR
Sketchor

Reply to helpme - Message ID#: 62367844

helpme wrote:

Naruto Shippuden the Movie 2 Bonds

Disney doesn't have rights to the movies so this could work maybe

They have the first movie's rights given it aired on DXD earlier this year.

Not sure about the second movie's rights but chances are DXD already secured those rights.

Otaku Info Broker
helpme

Reply to Sketchor - Message ID#: 62368100

Dammit

MyAnimeList
Anime Manga More website

SwimStar
TheBigOFan72

Reply to Sketchor - Message ID#: 62368054

I still think it would be a good idea for them to test run like the first 50 some episodes.

*Adult Swim Boards Guide and FAQ for new users (Click if you're new!)*Twitter*AnimeSols: The Future of Anime's Past*My Waifu*
Roger Smith (The Big O): "Big O!! Showtime!!" InuYasha (InuYasha): "Windscar!!" Roger Smith (The Big O): "People are not ruled by their memories!"
PlayStation Network Online ID: Videogameaddict2 Xbox Live Gamertag: BigOnAnime94 | This post has been brought to you by an otaku.
Passionate manga and anime fan since November 2008 | Gamer since January 2002 | Favorite Anime: The Vision of Escaflowne
"Don't beg for things, do it yourself, or else you won't get anything."-Adrock Thurston (Eureka Seven) | My Video Game Collection
List of legal anime streaming sites | MyAnimeList MyMangaList | My Anime Collection | My Manga Collection | MyFigureCollection
SwimHELPeR
Sketchor

Reply to TheBigOFan72 - Message ID#: 62368852

50 is kind of a lot for a "test run" but I'd be disappointed if a "test run" didn't at least include up to the Arlong arc where the show begins to show it's teeth and how deadly serious it can be despite it's cartoony image.

SwimHipster
robertje

Reply to Sketchor - Message ID#: 62370240

i do understand where your coming from and what I do agree with you on is it is a hit in japan but like so many people said if you dont get them hooked in the first 10 episodes the ratings wont be anything like what they need. I did hear about them redubbing the show from the old kids version, now did they dub the episodes that werent even included when it came to america cause they skipped a buttload of episodes esp in like the 3rd and 4th season...

SwimStar
TheBigOFan72

Reply to robertje - Message ID#: 62374680

FUNimation redubbed the show (They now have the rights, not 4Kids.), and those episodes haven't been cut out. They've been streaming, and releasing the series uncut.

SwimHipster
robertje

Reply to TheBigOFan72 - Message ID#: 62374796

ok well thats good i seen the 4kids one, well some of it haha and i didnt like it when i was younger lol but even with the redub it still does look kidish

SwimStar
TheBigOFan72

Reply to robertje - Message ID#: 62374834

Not until the characters bleed, swear, smoke, and get drunk that is.:smileytongue:

One Piece can get pretty brutal.

SwimHipster
robertje

Reply to TheBigOFan72 - Message ID#: 62374854

they must have cut out like half the anime when 4kids had its hands on it.... all i seen was a stretch armstrong with a pirate hat hahaha

SwimSuperfan
KouTheMad

Reply to robertje - Message ID#: 62374888

robertje wrote:

they must have cut out like half the anime when 4kids had its hands on it.... all i seen was a stretch armstrong with a pirate hat hahaha

watched about 8 episodes of Funimation's dub, they all swear alot, Zoro likes to drink, theres a helluva lotta blood (not too much that early), i've seen at least 1 scene that was cut from the 4kids dub (that being said, my memory is crap), and the voices are obviously different (admittedly, one thing i will give 4kids, Nami sounded closer to her age in their version, and Luffy's voice was a little less annoying, but thats ALL i'm giving them)

Let The Insanity Commence!

Let Us Not Suffer the Heretic or the Tsundere, the Moe or the Loli, the Little Sister or Terrible Writing, Let Them be Purged by Imperial Flame, Amen.
SwimPunk
reik

[ Edited ]

Reply to Sketchor - Message ID#: 62343842

yeah gonna agree with you on that one i seen Hell girl and its pretty lame to me its really boring at times

i second my own motion for more anime on toonmai...good anime not sym-bonic titans type SH!T
SwimPunk
reik

Reply to Sketchor - Message ID#: 62361700

Is Toonami still around?!?!? haven't see that in a while kinda miss it though
i second my own motion for more anime on toonmai...good anime not sym-bonic titans type SH!T
SwimPunk
reik

[ Edited ]

Reply to KouTheMad - Message ID#: 62377572

I think High School of the Dead could maybe match Bleach ratings in a way. I mean, its got ZOMBIES IN IT thats awsome to me ZOMBIE BRAINS getting blow out the back of it skull and on to the camera man and in to his mouth and the camera man getting turned into a ZOMBIE now thats comedy in reiks world

SwimStar
TheBigOFan72

Reply to reik - Message ID#: 62378392

No, it ended 3 years ago, and it's been almost 3 years since Toonami Jetstream disappeared too.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2008-09-20/cartoon-network-t
o-reportedly-end-toonami-tonight

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ngsrimilHQM

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2009-01-31/toonami-jetstream
-video-streaming-service-shuts-down

SwimSuperfan

Reply to TheBigOFan72 - Message ID#: 62381784

Who cares if it looks like a kids cartoon? When you actually WATCH it and see the content, it'll become clearly obvious it's not a kids cartoon.

IMO anyway...

Member of the A.F.A.