QUESTIONS STILL REMAIN!!!!!!!!!! 
SwimFan
CablesInside

Re: Should Big O have a third season?

Reply to R.I.P.meryllovesvash - Message ID#: 1924955

i would be seriously irritated if roger and dorothy got together
i dont see why people think they should
that would make the entire show lose all credibility
[insert pithy sesshomaru/knives anti-human quote, or wanna-be genius drivel here]

www.savebigo.com (it calls to you)
SwimNub

Reply to goodguy - Message ID#: 1355408

I don't understand the fascination with the show...The concept of a city struck with mass amnesia is a pretty neat idea, but the giant mecha fights are totally unneccessary...the only reason for the megaduce, was so there would be at least a hint of action in an otherwise very bland ongoing investigation over why these people lost their memories 50 years ago...
If roger is a negotiator then why is it that he has only negotiated once or twice in the whole series?
And why don't the younger people just move on with life, since most of the townsfolk don't appear to be even close to fifty...why should the elderly care about their memories of the distant past, when they've unknowingly made new ones all along?
I've tried..I've REALLY tried to understand the show..but I just find no consistency in the shows plot...other than the fact that the city has no past...I just wish the show would end and then perhaps a decent anime will be shown in it's stead.
SwimPunk
R.I.P.Kaunjen

Reply to R.I.P.Scar_Tissue - Message ID#: 1928604

I have never been a big O fan....
It has never got me interested because it reminds me of batman because Roger is rectangular
I personally don't think they should have a third season because like my boifriend said, it IS a good idea...They just need to...better it....
I really don't like the artwork.....It doesn't appeal to me....
I saw it one time and thought it was batman without the bat suit and got confused....I wonder what it is that draws people's attention to actually like the show....Oo;;
You should never fight ugly people because they have nothing to lose....
SwimFan
Demetric

Anytime Roger is inside Big O he's negotiating that's what his job is yes he talks to ppl.  But he also keeps the city safe without taking a side unless it can't be helped i.e. Big fau. 

On the memory note he says it best QUOTE people are not ruled by their memories END QUOTE.

Big O is a love or hate series i'm amoung those that LOVE it hence my Seebach avi.
Lets see if doing this will cause me problem. ever get bored and wanna talk my aim is demetric1300
Swimpotent
Parasaurolophus

The memory loss was 40 years ago- now whether the populous of Paradigm city has recently woken up, with only memories up to 40 years, or actually have been living these 40 years is debatable.

Roger has actually negotiated several times- especially in the beginning. Typically what we see is him "negotiating" through big o (attempting to talk to Zeebach, last night ep, negotiating with the ghost). Its just that later in the seasons, he puts aside most of the negotiating work in order to work for himself. Its also not super exciting to watch people negotiate, while big robots metaphorically negotaiting through fighting it out is a lot more fun.

I think people enjoy Big O because of the mystery behind the story. For people who like philosophical/logical/mental puzzles, Big O is an enigma wrapped in animation. And it is fun to discuss. Big O threads tend to be about theories behind the show, which can't be resolved by the current seasons. For some people, the discussion and introspection is fun. I for one, really like Big O, although I had to watch several episodes (the last one did it for me) to really appreciate it.
Cast in the name of God, ye not guilty. Disclaimer: I make little attempt to spell characters' names right. I don't know Japanese Phonetics! :smileyhappy:
SwimNerd
R.I.P.gusgusdamouse

Reply to Parasaurolophus - Message ID#: 1951188

Parasaurolophus wrote:
The memory loss was 40 years ago- now whether the populous of Paradigm city has recently woken up, with only memories up to 40 years, or actually have been living these 40 years is debatable.
That's something I hadn't thought about, I like that idea. That would explain why Roger could feel like he's had memories taken away when he clearly looks younger than 40.
Swimmer in exile...
SwimPunk
R.I.P.slartibast

[ Edited ]

the real thing about big o is Roger and Dorothy. it's subtle. why is this rich guy only dating an ANDROID: why doesn't he have a real human girlfriend? and the "BladeRunner" type questions: does Dorothy reallyhave feelings?

she SEEMS to do more than simply imitate life. Megadeuce and Dorothy are both mecha but very different...

it is something about "amnesia" -- and I think perhaps Dorothy as a Robot is a metaphor for people who are not really in touch with their emotions.

it is sort of slow moving...i think Big O is all about the ending somg...the way it sounds like Lionel Richie and Diana Ross from Endless Love...I'm SURE That's On Purpose.

As well: Big O is a euphemism for **bleep**. and there IS a budding romance between Dorothy and Roger which could lead to a love scene...just how perfect a copy of a living being IS Dorothy Wainwright? as an android is she capable of really having "the Big O"?

"Oh." did someone just say "Oh?" Big O is like Chobits on Steroids...

Message Edited by slartibast on 03-27-2004 03:59 AM

ice cream makes all machines work better, especially computers. spoon it right in!-

OMNI Magazine
Swimpotent
R.I.P.gotkookies

the story for big o was good, but they explained it like crap, i posted a good thread on it before, theres so much they didn't show that happened, basically they all lost their memories again, and they are gonna meet back up
SwimFan
R.I.P.LordShmeckie

Reply to CablesInside - Message ID#: 1927608

CablesInside wrote:

THANK YOU! I was getting tired of every other Big O fan clammering for Dorothy and Roger to hook up. 'Parently everyone thinks the male and female leads MUST hook up. Oi.....
Lord Shmeckie

Adult Swim's resident villainophile
Since when do the good guys get all the apocalyptic power? Never, that's when!
SwimPunk
R.I.P.Donya222

No, Big O should definately not have a third season.
"Your still just a kid..."
SwimFan
Demetric

Reply to R.I.P.Donya222 - Message ID#: 1957532

You know i'm having a thought ok it needs so work so bare with me here.

Ok now we all know 40 years ago the city lost all their memories and somewher ein there the world was totaled.  But ok here it is what if what we see of Big O are the memories.  What i mean is what if the show is showing us exactly what happened 40 years ago.  Like i said it needs some work but i think i'm on to something here.
Lets see if doing this will cause me problem. ever get bored and wanna talk my aim is demetric1300
SwimNerd
R.I.P.plain_Yogurt

Yes
SwimNerd
R.I.P.gusgusdamouse

Reply to R.I.P.LordShmeckie - Message ID#: 1956599

LordShmeckie wrote:

CablesInside wrote:

THANK YOU! I was getting tired of every other Big O fan clammering for Dorothy and Roger to hook up. 'Parently everyone thinks the male and female leads MUST hook up. Oi.....

Yeah, I agree with you guys on that one.
Swimmer in exile...
SwimFan
CablesInside

Reply to R.I.P.slartibast - Message ID#: 1956074

slartibast wrote:
the real thing about big o is Roger and Dorothy. it's subtle. why is this rich guy only dating an ANDROID: why doesn't he have a real human girlfriend? and the "BladeRunner" type questions: does Dorothy reallyhave feelings?

she SEEMS to do more than simply imitate life. Megadeuce and Dorothy are both mecha but very different...

it is something about "amnesia" -- and I think perhaps Dorothy as a Robot is a metaphor for people who are not really in touch with their emotions.

it is sort of slow moving...i think Big O is all about the ending somg...the way it sounds like Lionel Richie and Diana Ross from Endless Love...I'm SURE That's On Purpose.

As well: Big O is a euphemism for **bleep**. and there IS a budding romance between Dorothy and Roger which could lead to a love scene...just how perfect a copy of a living being IS Dorothy Wainwright? as an android is she capable of really having "the Big O"?

"Oh." did someone just say "Oh?" Big O is like Chobits on Steroids...

Message Edited by slartibast on 03-27-2004 03:59 AM

roger and dorothy are not dating
they are forming an attachment, but it is not a romantic/love one
it is more like a family bond
perhaps dorothy wants to love roger, but roger will not go for that
roger and dorothy getting together would make the show as stupid as the inuyasha fanboys claim the show is(no, not all inuyasha fans hate big o, and this is an unfair generalization, i'll flame myself on this one, so you don't need to)
but i really really think the people that do big o would be above something as stupid as getting roger and dorothy together
or even thinking of it
dorothy moderately crushing on roger could be tolerable
but if they came close to getting together, that would eb worse than on the last episode, big o and venus walkign together, and then having robin williams sit up, and say "woah, i jsut had the weirdest dream.."
yes, in ep. 26 roget did say the "if things were different..." thing to dorothy when she was inactive
but that was more of him kinda pleading to her to wake up
and maybe that is how things would be if thigns were different(she wasn't an android mainly), but things arent different
unless in the next reset, dorothy isnt an android
but dorothy wouldnt be nearly as interesting or charming as a human
[insert pithy sesshomaru/knives anti-human quote, or wanna-be genius drivel here]

SwimFan
Demetric

Reply to CablesInside - Message ID#: 1986583

You know i wouldn't mind if they got together as long as it wasn't just like hey Dorthy let's go out. 
SwimFan
CablesInside

Reply to Demetric - Message ID#: 1987177

Demetric wrote:
You know i wouldn't mind if they got together as long as it wasn't just like hey Dorthy let's go out.

possibly
i think i would be bothered by iet either way
but it jsut now occurred to me that they would probably write it in somehow that would fit, and not jsut be ridiculous
but we all remember the hygeine video on dating robots from futurama....

SwimFan
Demetric

Reply to CablesInside - Message ID#: 1987441

Yes oh yes how could we forget that lol something tell me theres more to our dear Dorthy then meets the eye though.  Armitage anyone.
SwimFan
CablesInside

Reply to Demetric - Message ID#: 1992736

Demetric wrote:
Yes oh yes how could we forget that lol something tell me theres more to our dear Dorthy then meets the eye though. Armitage anyone.

yes, dorothy definitely has more to show than any of us know
this isn't quite on the topic at hand, but something pointed me to the thought that waynwright didn't completely build and design dorothy
he jsut modified an existing android into dorothy
it has repeatedly been said that not much is known abou androids
if waynewright had been able to build dorothy completely, he owuld have had followers and students, and there would probably be android repair/production facilities
also, roger said that waynewright was the leading man in android research, which seemed to me liek he meant discovering the ecrets of existign androids, but i thikn i might be going way out on a limb on that one
but it doesn't seem that technology complex enough to build a dorothy would exist anymore
technically, big o would be much easier to make than dorothy
(well, from a design standpoint, at least)

SwimSuperfan
Zopwx2

Reply to CablesInside - Message ID#: 1994127

one myth I'd like to bust:

THE SHOW DID NOT START OVER!!!!

just becuase they show roger driving along the street repeating his dialogue from episode one doesn't mean he is back to that point. Becuase roger is known for repeating himself quite often throuought the show.

Plus he was on his way to the wherehouse to negotiate with beck for the release of dorothy...... but she is now standing at the edge of the road with angel... so obviously somthing has changed.

A season 3 was written as a succesfull fan fictoin series. So if a fan could do it im sure the writers can. I believe the added alot to work with in acts 35-26. And they left it open ended just in case CN took them up on their season 3 offer.
I've been to the surface and nothing is there.
SwimFan
Demetric

Reply to Zopwx2 - Message ID#: 1998897

Very good point Zopwx but well you usually do have something worth reading.

Also a good point if a Fan can write a good 3ed then a Pro should have no problem   Pro only meaning their getting paid to do so

SwimSuperfan
Zopwx2

Zopwx2 wrote:

just becuase they show roger driving along the street repeating his dialogue from episode one doesn't mean he is back to that point. Becuase roger is known for repeating himself quite often throuought the show.

Plus he was on his way to the wherehouse to negotiate with beck for the release of dorothy...... but she is now standing at the edge of the road with angel... so obviously somthing has changed.

A season 3 was written as a succesfull fan fictoin series. So if a fan could do it im sure the writers can. I believe the added alot to work with in acts 35-26. And they left it open ended just in case CN took them up on their season 3 offer.

I mean to say acts 25-26.... Why won't they let you edit posts after a while...
I've been to the surface and nothing is there.
SwimFan
CablesInside

Zopwx2 wrote:

i am in agreement that the show does not start over
it just gave a good starting place for a new season:smileyhappy:

SwimPunk
R.I.P.Leoinlove

Reply to CablesInside - Message ID#: 2002400

I'd think it'd be very dificult to keep it interesting if you totally reset the series. After reading all these, I really think they should do a season three, not just a movie or something. About the whole Roger/Dorothy thing...hmmm....I guess it would be ok is they did a good job on it, but I'm thinking unless she became human it wouldn't work. She is very cool as an andriod, and that coment about being a robot had to do with not being in touch with their emotions was interesting. If she became human though, I think she could still keep that distance. Even as an android she could show some human emotion (rember when she begged Roger to save Instro?) so as a human couldn't she still have android behaviors?
O trespass sweetly urged! Give me my sin again.
Swimpotent
Parasaurolophus

Zopwx2 wrote:

After watching "Roger the Wanderer" again, I noticed something particular about the scenes they show of the restored paradigm city.  I think they repeat the footage of the street vendors from the beginning of the series as well as the end, although I would have to verify it.  The clip that stands out in my mind is when he approaches the black woman at the fruit stand.  The initial shot is the same as the other episodes!  I thought that is an interesting tie-in that surely must be intentional.  Of course, they may not be the same shots, but it would lend credence to the hypothesis that this is a dream roger is having.

On a side note, did anyone else notice the "Gargoyles" characters on the side of the building?  :smileyhappy:

Cast in the name of God, ye not guilty. Disclaimer: I make little attempt to spell characters' names right. I don't know Japanese Phonetics! :smileyhappy: