KittehArbiter
SwimMod_Luuv

Re: the Ultimate FAQ Resource Thread

[ Edited ]

Reply to SwimMod_Luuv - Message ID#: 7737317

The Williams Street Culture Folder pertains to all things Williams Street--the b&w bumps, music used in the b&w bumps, show talent, staff members, Adult Swim merchandise, owls, etc.

Message Edited by SwimMod_Luuv on 09-29-2004 12:25 PM

KittehArbiter
SwimMod_Luuv

The Other Anime Folder is the place for threads concerning any anime outside of Adult Swim.

KittehArbiter
SwimMod_Luuv

Reply to SwimMod_Luuv - Message ID#: 7737263

The Comedy Discussion Folder is for topics concerning the shows in our comedy block.  These may include Aqua Teen Hunger Force, The Brak Show, Family Guy, Futurama, Harvey Birdman Attorney at Law, Home Movies, Sealab 2021, Space Ghost Coast to Coast, Mission Hill, and any other show currently airing on the Adult Swim Comedy block.
KittehArbiter
SwimMod_Luuv

The Comedy Show Suggestions Folder is for topics concerning comedy shows you would like to see on Adult Swim in the future.

KittehArbiter
SwimMod_Luuv

KittehArbiter
SwimMod_Luuv

Why did my thread get deleted?

Boring threads/messages are often deleted in order to protect our desire to provide this forum.

"Boring" is defined as anything that hurts our heads.  This includes malicious flaming and references to illicit acts.  We enjoy most illicit acts, but we don't feel a need to discuss them here (You shouldn't either).

Repetitive threads, chatting, shout-outs, trolling and flaming are also boring, and thus eligible for deletion.

KittehArbiter
SwimMod_Luuv

What are the Ranks and how do they work?

The rank system is merely a fun way to display who has been on the boards the longest.  Rank advancement at lower levels is based on time.  To advance past that takes a combination of things, such as time registered, number of posts, etc. 

Rapid page refreshing will NOT result in higher ranks after SwimVoyeur.

If you do not meet the other criteria as mentioned, your rank will not change. What are the ranks? Well, we have to leave something to surprise, don't we?
KittehArbiter
SwimMod_Luuv

KittehArbiter
SwimMod_Luuv

Why can't I post pictures on the board?

Because we would have no way to control such images, and we are held to strict Turner guidelines in regards to content.
KittehArbiter
SwimMod_Luuv

Why do some shows have Closed Captioning and others don't?

Generally closed captioning gets done at the end of the year--the Williams Sreet shows usually finish production so close to the premiere date that it can't get done before the show premieres (Home Movies got closed captioned because we had a lot of time between delivery and premieres).  Also we have to wait for approval on costs, and it's easiest to get that at the end of the year.  We got everything that premiered in and before 2003 closed captioned in December, so the only shows without captioning now are the new shows.
KittehArbiter
SwimMod_Luuv

[ Edited ]

What kinds of shows should I suggest in the Comedy Show Suggestions folder?

Before posting a new Show Suggestion thread, please search for one that already exists for the show in quesiton by using the Search Function.  Duplicate threads risk being deleted.

Otherwise suggest away.

The only real exception would be If you have an original show that you have created or written, sorry, but you're out of luck.  AS is not allowed to accept unsolicited ideas for new shows.  Any threads along these lines will be deleted.

And, of course, the threads in the Comedy Show Suggestions folder are still subject to all the same guidelines as any other thread on the board.

Message Edited by SwimMod_Luuv on 09-29-2004 05:04 PM

KittehArbiter
SwimMod_Luuv

What is Chat?

Chat is when you stray from the topic and start saying stuff like:

"Hi" "hi" "how are you?" "bored" "me too" "i'm going to get a sodie pop" "oooh!" "back" "where's doompoopy7?" "don't know" "I took my cat to the doctors today" "Oh really? what happened?" "it had a urinary tract problem" "oh well I have to go to work now" "oh okay seeya" "hey I'm back." "cool!"

That's chat.  A digression of discussion that leads to the kind social back-and-forth that resembles a chat room, rather than any actual discussion of a specific topic. And if your thread accumulates too many of those posts, it will probably get deleted, and excessive chat by an individual user can lead to a temporary or permanent ban. 

KittehArbiter
SwimMod_Luuv

[ Edited ]

Why can't I chat on the Adult Swim Message Board?

Chat threads aren't particularly topical or interesting to anybody except the two or three people who are in them, and too often can lead to things that the Turner Legal Department has mandated not be allowed on the boards, such as the exchange of personal and contact information. 

Message Edited by SwimMod_Luuv on 09-29-2004 05:20 PM

KittehArbiter
SwimMod_Luuv

Where can I go if I want to chat?

If you want to chat there are several IM programs that are free and available to all, including AOL Instant Messegner, Yahoo Instant Messenger, and many others.

Also there are tons of places that you can make personal clubs and chat rooms, including Yahoo, MSN, and tons of other places.
KittehArbiter
SwimMod_Luuv

When is the DVD of [my favorite adult swim comedy show] going to be released?

When a new DVD of a show created by [adult swim] is announced, SwimBuddha will make an announcement in the Announcements Folder.  or check the DVD release thread floated here in the comedy folder.

KittehArbiter
SwimMod_Luuv

[ Edited ]

How do I post a thread? 

Please note that no one of the board rank of SwimNewbie may post a new thread. They can post within already existing threads that are open to posting, but not post their own new threads. SwimNewbies should take this time to acquaint themselves with the Message Board Guidelines and Official FAQ.

Before posting your thread, know that we often delete duplicate threads, so be sure to search for an already existing thread with the same topic. You can most easily do this by using the Advanced Search Function or the regular old Search Function.

Once you're sure there isn't an already existing topic:

1. Toward the top left hand corner of the page click the "New Message" button with the page icon next to it.

2. Type the name of your thread into the white "Message Subject" line. Be sure to search for thread of similar topics before making a new one, and be sure the title of your thread is relevant to the folder you are posting it in, as well as to the topic you are posting about.

3. Type your message in big black text box. You may use board features to alter the font, the type size, color of the text, hyperlink, insert smiley faces, use bold face, italics, underline or scratch features to enhance your message. There are other tricks you can use as well by editing your post as html. For tips on that, consult the Forum HTML and you... thread in the AdultSwim.com Folder.

4. Once your post is complete, hit the "Submit Post" button in the lower left-hand corner of the screen. Within seconds, your thread should appear on the message board in the folder in which you posted it.

5. Once your thread is posted, try to keep it on topic.

Message Edited by SwimMod_Luuv on 10-02-2004 03:36 PM

KittehArbiter
SwimMod_Luuv

[ Edited ]

What are the Discussion folders for?

The discussion folders are the places you go to post threads.  They are divided up into groups to make it easier to find the kinds of topics you feel like posting about. 

Those groups are:

[adult swim] news:

Announcements:  Official news and press releases from the Adult Swim team.

[adult swim] headquarters:

Williams Street Culture:  This folder pertains to all things Williams Street--the b&w bumps, music used in the b&w bumps, show talent, staff members, Adult Swim merchandise, owls, etc.

AdultSwim.com: Talk about clips, games, message boards and anything current on this site.

[adult swim] action:

Action Discussion:  Topics concerning the shows in our Action block.  Currently these may include Big O, Blue Gender, Cowboy Bebop, Case Closed, FLCL, InuYasha, Kikaider, Lupin the 3rd, Reign: The Conqueror, Trigun, Witch Hunter Robin, Wolf's Rain, and any other show that is currently airing, or in rotation, or still under license to air, on the Action block.

Action Show Suggestions:  Topics concerning Action shows you would like to see on Adult Swim in the future.

Other Anime:  This is the place for threads concerning any anime outside of Adult Swim.

[adult swim] comedy:

Comedy Discussion:  Topics concerning the shows in our comedy block.  Currently these may include Aqua Teen Hunger Force, The Brak Show, Family Guy, Futurama, Harvey Birdman Attorney at Law, Home Movies, Sealab 2021, Space Ghost Coast to Coast, Mission Hill, Venture Brothers, and any other show currently airing, in rotation, or under license to air, on the Comedy block..

Comedy Show Suggestions: Topics concerning comedy shows you would like to see on Adult Swim in the future.

[adult swim] noise:

Babbling:  General discussion about life, music and video games.

Incoherent Babbling:  Babbling minus intelligence.

Rants:  Tirades from angry people.

[adult swim] Power Play:

SwimFan's Game Journal:  SwimFan takes you behind the scenes of the development of the new Sealab 2021 game.

Adult Swim Power Play Discussion:  A place to discuss the new Adult Swim Power Play Sealab 2021 game and submit questions to the creators and developers.  Folder includes Power Play FAQ.

[adult swim] Archives:

the Swim Archive:  An archive of worthy threads from the Adult Swim Message Boards

the Hockey Chicken Archive: An archive of threads from the "Free Hockey Chicken" stunt, which occurred July 19-30, 2004.

Please note that posts placed in the wrong folder will risk being deleted.

Message Edited by SwimMod_Luuv on 10-02-2004 08:04 PM

KittehArbiter
SwimMod_Luuv

I can't view the webcam, what should I do?
Do not panic.  Go to Real.Com and download the RealOne Basic player (It's free),
KittehArbiter
SwimMod_Luuv

[ Edited ]

Can I change my E-Mail Address?
Can I change my Password?

Yes, you can!  Click on "My Profile".  You can change your password for logging into the site there.

Message Edited by SwimMod_Luuv on 10-02-2004 04:02 PM

KittehArbiter
SwimMod_Luuv

How do I change my AdultSwim.Com Screen Name?

Once a Login/Screen Name is created, it cannot be changed.  If you have another email address, you can use it to sign up for a new account, with the Login/Screen Name of your choosing.  If you don't have a second email address currently, you can get one for free at any of several web-based services, such as Hotmail.
KittehArbiter
SwimMod_Luuv

Why can't I see the post's Tool Bar when I post?
Why do I have to post in HTML?

The Word-like toolbar only works for Internet Explorer 5.5 or higher.  If you have any other browser software (including Mac), you will have to use the HTML editor exclusively.
KittehArbiter
SwimMod_Luuv

How do I insert Hyperlinks into my posts?

Across the top of the area where you type your post out, you will see a Tool Bar.  To insert a hyperlink using the Tool Bar function, simply highlight the word you wish to hyperlink and click the blue globelike icon.  If you float your moust over it, it should say "insert Hyperlink". 

Clidk that and a box will appear, simply type the url (web address) you wish to insert, and then click "OK". 

The highlighted word should now be a hyperlink to the url/web address that you typed into the box.

Then finish up your post and click the Submit Post button. 

When it appears, your post should appear just as you typed it, with the highlighted word hyperlinked.

For information on how to do it using the HTML editor, and other HTML tips, see RahXepheon's thread "Forum HTML and you...".   
KittehArbiter
SwimMod_Luuv

When I try to update my E-Mail Address, it says that my E-Mail is already in use, what should I do?

It sounds as though you have another AdultSwim.Com account that has your other email address attached to it.  In order to successfully update your email address, you must specify an address that is not already in use for another account.  Even if you are no longer using the other account, or even cancelled it in the past, it would not be purged from our system. 

If you want to use an email address on one account that is already in use on another account, you'll need to:

click on "My Profile,"

and change that account's email address to something else,

then log out,

log back in with the first account, and make the change again. 

At this time there's no easier way of swapping account info around, so be careful with your entries.
KittehArbiter
SwimMod_Luuv

Do I have to register as a member to post on the forums?

Users of our Boards are asked to register so that we can show you pertinent messages (e.g. those you haven't read yet), access personalized features and be an identifiable member of a strong community.  Registration is a one-time event and takes just a minute to complete.  Afterwards, you need only log in with your Membername and Password when you visit.  You can even choose to have your Password saved on the login screen, so that you won't need to type it each time.
KittehArbiter
SwimMod_Luuv

This folder exists solely for the purpose of suggesting shows you would like to see in our Action block in the future.  You will find a similar board in the Comedy category.  Topics unrelated to show suggestions for our Action block risk being deleted.