Discuss.
Punks is Aspies!!!
LAST.FM | DISCOGS | CRAPPY NETLABEL
SwimStar
The_Bellhop

Re: Episode #307: Jazz

[ Edited ]

Reply to the_raytownian - Message ID#: 45829728

Every since Jim and Derrick there's something different about this show...I think it's the beyond stellar transistions between skits.

I really like the twist of "other" Tim and Eric's as well that has been more apparent. 

Not the BEST episode to end all episodes yet they have never let me down once, just really blows that this season is coming to an end soon.

Twas and tis epic. 

Message Edited by The_Bellhop on 09-05-2008 06:39 PM
I've always been the kind of boy who wanted to be in an all girl pop group.
SwimHotshot
the_raytownian

[ Edited ]

Reply to The_Bellhop - Message ID#: 45830339

It certainly felt different.

I have to say, in my opinion, this might just be the weakest ep this season! What really saved it for me were the "Jazz" segments and James Quall/DLH.

I also enjoy Maria Bamford, haha.

The "Jazz" parts were ultimately my favorite... It was all so typical of incredibly dull PBS jazz musician session-filearies***... and the conversations they had were pretty spot-on.

I may have to see it again. I am still not "dissappointed" or anything... just a bit underwhelmed about most of it (Jazz segments excluded)

It seemed weird for them to keep the white text outro that was used for Jim and Derrick.

EDIT: ** dragon breath ** your filters!!! DOC-UME-ENT-aries***

Message Edited by the_raytownian on 09-05-2008 07:00 PM
Punks is Aspies!!!
SwimSuperfan

Reply to the_raytownian - Message ID#: 45830656

I think I'd pancake this somewhere in the middle for episodes this season. I enjoyed pretty much every segment, particularly ** dragon breath ** boys and the trike sequence, the latter being one of the better surreal moments T&E have done.
My indie / alt / fantasy / folk band in Portland: Ghost Toy Castle
SwimHELPeR
ShowUsYourTaint

Loved the Quall sketch.

"Hi I'm Jack Nicholson"

".....My God you're right, I've got it back."

:smileyvery-happy: :smileyvery-happy: :smileyvery-happy: :smileyvery-happy: :smileyvery-happy: :smileyvery-happy:

Cast off this taint, and become taintless
SwimSuperfan

[ Edited ]

Reply to ShowUsYourTaint - Message ID#: 45831213

Guys something very disturbing just happened, when trying to say the word 'ranked' in my post above, my letters were transformed into 'pancake', and I don't know why.

It's almost as if some mod came in and decided to edit a completely random word for no reason... the power must be going to their heads.

Message Edited by Mablak on 09-05-2008 07:49 PM
Message Edited by Mablak on 09-05-2008 07:50 PM
My indie / alt / fantasy / folk band in Portland: Ghost Toy Castle
SwimPunk
ELtheGeneral

You mean James Quall -- Impersinator impression impressive. 

After watching nightlive and just -- everything.  I've never laughed so hard in my life. Or when DLH came in and his BT flashed -- omggg XD. Best episod. 

TWINS? SHREAMP? TWINS? 

SPAGETT!
SwimPunk
Cosimusta

[ Edited ]

This was a good episode.  Maria Bamford is awesome.  I tend to give all the credit to Tim and Eric, but honestly they couldn't have better guests. 

edit: Also, Maria Bamford is hot and should marry me. 
Message Edited by Cosimusta on 09-05-2008 09:24 PM
Message Edited by Cosimusta on 09-05-2008 09:29 PM
SwimHotshot
the_raytownian

[ Edited ]

Reply to Cosimusta - Message ID#: 45832894

haha, yeah. I've always liked Maria Bamford...

I watched this episode again. I found the Jazz sketches funnier than ever, and I lulzed pretty hard when Maria Bamford started picking up cat turds to represent each cat... that was probably the weirdest part of the episode to me.

The ** dragon breath ** Boys were okay, but I wasn't crazy about that.

EDIT: for clarity.

Message Edited by the_raytownian on 09-05-2008 11:24 PM
Punks is Aspies!!!
SwimNerd
Kercil

My favorite parts from this episode were the clips starring Mari Bamford and the clips starring Dennis Harrity, the clown on the trike.

(If you go back to season 1 episode 9, the one with Neil Hamburger, you will see the clown on the trike referred to as 'Dennis Harrity' by Channel 5.)

MY NIPPLES
IN THE ZONE
Swimportant
The_Siberian_Captain

Well that was fun. Had Maria Bamford; recognized her right away. Looked like Tim and Eric were really playing their instruments. Made me think back to the jazz-pop of Raymond Scott a little. Beaver Boys returned. Clown animation was good. And the fake movie trailer. What Tim and Eric need to do really is put some more focus into their writing and their cinematography. Their mise en scene.

I'd like to get into Maria Bamfords nook. Not so much her cranny. Crannies aren't my thing.
SwimNerd
Norm_Loman

Reply to The_Siberian_Captain - Message ID#: 45835684

This episode was somewhat of a return to form, but everything still feels fresh and new. I think the jim-derrik episode reenergized the show. The only part I didn't like was the first part of ** dragon breath ** boys... I felt the timing was a bit off. Maria Bamford was a great guest. She stole the show when she broke down at the end.

The_Siberian_Captain wrote:
Well that was fun. Had Maria Bamford; recognized her right away. Looked like Tim and Eric were really playing their instruments. Made me think back to the jazz-pop of Raymond Scott a little. 

I too was reminded of Raymond Scott's more eclectic, jazzier type songs. 

BTW: Does anyone recognize the two gentlemen eating shrimp at the restaurant? They were hillarious.

Swimportant
The_Siberian_Captain

Reply to Norm_Loman - Message ID#: 45837048

Norm_Loman wrote:

This episode was somewhat of a return to form, but everything still feels fresh and new. I think the jim-derrik episode reenergized the show. The only part I didn't like was the first part of ** dragon breath ** boys... I felt the timing was a bit off. Maria Bamford was a great guest. She stole the show when she broke down at the end.

The_Siberian_Captain wrote:
Well that was fun. Had Maria Bamford; recognized her right away. Looked like Tim and Eric were really playing their instruments. Made me think back to the jazz-pop of Raymond Scott a little.

I too was reminded of Raymond Scott's more eclectic, jazzier type songs.

BTW: Does anyone recognize the two gentlemen eating shrimp at the restaurant? They were hillarious.

They were Dilly and Crunk, aka The Beaver Boys. Nah, I don't know who those two other guys were.

But wait! Stop! Ain't nuffing beatnik about the Mods! Ain't you never seen Quadrophenia? Dey're pill-popping, English-rocking, street-fight'ing, hot-heated young lads! No pot! No psychedelics! Blues are da drug of choice, my son!
SwimHipster
karatenin

This was pretty funny, but the spaghet movie skits were better.

Before you we fix the government we must fix the people.
SwimHotshot
the_raytownian

Reply to ShowUsYourTaint - Message ID#: 45831213

The icing on that particular cake was DLH's loud exclamation of "OOOOHHHH!!!" that got chopped off at the end.
Punks is Aspies!!!
SwimNerd
RestoreDisorder

Reply to the_raytownian - Message ID#: 45839241

Best episode EVER. Period. I've never laughed that hard and that long before, for anything. Dlh in Qual story, priceless. The Bam was hot, talking bout her nooks and crannies. Scat sessions with T and E = hilarious.

SwimNerd
RestoreDisorder

Reply to RestoreDisorder - Message ID#: 45844698

"Twins!", "Shrimp!", "Twins!, Shrimp!", "White Wine!"
SwimNerd
RestoreDisorder

Reply to RestoreDisorder - Message ID#: 45844733

Oh crap, "Skimble Shanks" had me laughing hard too.
SwimHotshot
the_raytownian

[ Edited ]

This one reaaallly required a few veiwings for me to get into it, and I still think the "B. Boys" sketch was kind of weak, but I am in love with JAZZ... Honestly, I think they could've pulled off another whole episode focusing on this "Jazz" universe... but I still don't know that I'd like every episode to be that focused and "traditional"...

Message Edited by the_raytownian on 09-06-2008 07:57 PM
Punks is Aspies!!!
SwimPunk
FighterMageThief

[ Edited ]

Reply to the_raytownian - Message ID#: 45851369

Just watched "Jazz" for the first time. I thought it was a solid episode. Maria Bamford is great (as usual) and serious props to Bill Hader for doing what he did. There is some epic irony in having such a talented and successful impressionist like Hader (his Pacino is as good as it gets) play at playing the role of a not-so-talented and not-so-successful impressionist. I would have loved to have been there when they shot the scenes with Hader and DLH. They actually had a good chemistry on camera, which makes me smile.

Not sure about the Jazz bits though. I feel like I would have liked to have seen more of them just so the concept could unpack itself in my brain. The on-line banking bit was great though. And it was nice to see that Cinco is in the musical instrument biz.

I agree with a previous poster about the two random dudes. They saved the BB sketch imo. Business and pleasure. Do you have room for my boys? Nice to see you face to face. All very ambiguous lines that could go either way in the world of T + E innuendo. The initial Beav Boys offering may have only been a set up for the prologue with the mystery men, but then again, I think that scene would have held up on its own.

Edit: fixed funky html errors (I hope)

Message Edited by FighterMageThief on 09-07-2008 05:40 AM

Remember the 80's? Seth MacFarland does too!

(I identify with this signature.)

SwimNerd
sinkwater

[ Edited ]

Awesome episode. The Maria Bamford skit was hilarious and freaked me the hell out. Bill Hader was awesome as Quall, I've seen some of his stuff from SNL, he's got the goods, I loved the SNL skit with him as the "There Will Be Blood" guy, I wish YouTube had that. And ** dragon breath BEEEVER BOYS never gets old.
Message Edited by sinkwater on 09-07-2008 07:02 AM
SwimPunk
bpbpbpbpbp

[ Edited ]

Haha the jazz bits were so funny, I wouldnt of minded 10 solid minutes of that, as well as the james quall mega super summer smash hit movie./ good sutff. the ** dragon breath ** boys werent that funny this time, but those other 2 guys were.
Message Edited by bpbpbpbpbp on 09-07-2008 07:41 AM
SwimNerd
LittleEnid

All I can say is that I'm in love with Bill Hader.  First Superbad, now this...I want to have his Quall shaped babies.
Swimfamous
ramo200

Bill Hader did a great job potraying as James Quall. I kind of wished there was a movie in the works now...
SwimHotshot
the_raytownian

Reply to wickedlady4180 - Message ID#: 45883499

Well, you're in the wrong folder then, my friend.

There are other places on the board to discuss your hatred of a show, but the show's folder isn't one of them.

Punks is Aspies!!!