Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Order of the Owl
ben0119

Re: Anime "Segregated To Back of The Bus&quot

Reply to stockholdingotaku - Message ID#: 68480797

Shouldn't ye be more concerned that Comic Con is barely about actual comics anymore?  Anime and all that other crap shouldn't even be there in the first place!

HULK HOGAN vs. LELOUCH vi BRITANNIA // My AIM: BenO0119 // My YIM: bao0119 // My MAL // My DeviantArt // My Steam Account // My Tumblr Page // Me and my Seth Green autographed Titan Maximum S1 DVD! // Sate your hunger for FMA! // RAVE MASTER CONTINUES! THE MANGA DISCUSSION // Rukia Kuchiki Fan Club! (spoiler-free!) // "Traps, is that what you call my simple diversions?" - Naraku // "Are you actually crying, Vash the Stampede? That is wonderful, truly wonderful." - Legato // "Admiration is the furthest thing from understanding." - Sosuke Aizen
SwimSuperfan
KouTheMad

Reply to elfie - Message ID#: 68502561

for Anime to be worth getting a booth, Anime needs to be more popular.

the question ye all should be asking is "How can we make Anime less niche?"

Let The Insanity Commence!

Let Us Not Suffer the Heretic or the Tsundere, the Moe or the Loli, the Little Sister or Terrible Writing, Let Them be Purged by Imperial Flame, Amen.
SwimGuru
elfie

Reply to KouTheMad - Message ID#: 68506445

KouTheMad wrote:

for Anime to be worth getting a booth, Anime needs to be more popular.

the question ye all should be asking is "How can we make Anime less niche?"

it won't be any more popular until Hollywood and cable, which is getting all the money now, does worse.

SwimFan
megasamurai

Reply to elfie - Message ID#: 68502561

Maybe if New York's anime con was run by an organization that loves anime. The anime club at Tulsa Community College runs Tokyo in Tulsa.
The way of bushido is the only way of honor. I'm not just a warrior but a badass megasamurai.
SwimGuru
elfie

Reply to megasamurai - Message ID#: 68507677

megasamurai wrote:
Maybe if New York's anime con was run by an organization that loves anime. The anime club at Tulsa Community College runs Tokyo in Tulsa.

Who runs Anime Expo? That's the largest anime con in the country.

SwimFan
megasamurai

Reply to elfie - Message ID#: 68508017

The Society for the Promotion of Japanese Animation, a non profit. New York just needs an anime fan organization
The way of bushido is the only way of honor. I'm not just a warrior but a badass megasamurai.
SwimGuru
elfie

[ Edited ]

Reply to megasamurai - Message ID#: 68508853

Well there ya go.  Reed Corp sees profit as the most important thing.  That's why they started a Chicago summer comic con a few years ago, as well as steadily rising ticket rates, booth rates, and they're both slowly becoming more industry/celebrity cons instead.  In order for an anime con to be successful in NY, someone needs to start one under a non-profit company.

SwimSuperfan
KouTheMad

[ Edited ]

Reply to megasamurai - Message ID#: 68508853

megasamurai wrote:
The Society for the Promotion of Japanese Animation, a non profit. New York just needs an anime fan organization

and thus we have our answer.

now how do we go about creating a New York Anime Fan Organization?

Let The Insanity Commence!

Let Us Not Suffer the Heretic or the Tsundere, the Moe or the Loli, the Little Sister or Terrible Writing, Let Them be Purged by Imperial Flame, Amen.
SwimGuru
elfie

Reply to KouTheMad - Message ID#: 68510987

KouTheMad wrote:

megasamurai wrote:

Good idea.  It would be like starting a club or a guild.

SwimFan
megasamurai

Reply to elfie - Message ID#: 68511089

Maybe a college in New York could sponsor it. I know that Rice University sponsors Owl Con and that's a pretty big event in Houston.
SwimGuru
elfie

Reply to megasamurai - Message ID#: 68514395

megasamurai wrote:
Maybe a college in New York could sponsor it. I know that Rice University sponsors Owl Con and that's a pretty big event in Houston.

Maybe, and NYC has tons of colleges.  There used to be an anime club in a library that was part of New York University... but it was disbanded.

SwimGuru
Venomlord

Reply to elfie - Message ID#: 68514653

elfie wrote:

megasamurai wrote:

Maybe, and NYC has tons of colleges.  There used to be an anime club in a library that was part of New York University... but it was disbanded.

Try an Art college/uni

MAL

Should Cowboy Bebop be rerun?

Kirito is a Gary Mary Stu

SwimGuru
elfie

Reply to Venomlord - Message ID#: 68515429

Venomlord wrote:

elfie wrote:

megasamurai wrote:

Try an Art college/uni

I'm sure SVA and Pratt would be interested.

Order of the Owl
ben0119

Reply to KouTheMad - Message ID#: 68510987

KouTheMad wrote:

megasamurai wrote:

Anime needs a non-profit charity "cause" just to get people to like it?  That's pretty sad.  Cue up Sarah McLachlan.

HULK HOGAN vs. LELOUCH vi BRITANNIA // My AIM: BenO0119 // My YIM: bao0119 // My MAL // My DeviantArt // My Steam Account // My Tumblr Page // Me and my Seth Green autographed Titan Maximum S1 DVD! // Sate your hunger for FMA! // RAVE MASTER CONTINUES! THE MANGA DISCUSSION // Rukia Kuchiki Fan Club! (spoiler-free!) // "Traps, is that what you call my simple diversions?" - Naraku // "Are you actually crying, Vash the Stampede? That is wonderful, truly wonderful." - Legato // "Admiration is the furthest thing from understanding." - Sosuke Aizen
SwimGuru
elfie

Reply to ben0119 - Message ID#: 68515731

ben0119 wrote:

KouTheMad wrote:

megasamurai wrote:

Anime needs a non-profit charity "cause" just to get people to like it?  That's pretty sad.  Cue up Sarah McLachlan.

Were we talking about a charity??  Not every non-profit company does charities.

Order of the Owl
ben0119

Reply to elfie - Message ID#: 68515751

elfie wrote:

ben0119 wrote:

KouTheMad wrote:

megasamurai wrote:

It just seems ridiculous that such a thing would be necessary.  Anime is at least at the point to where everyone knows what it is and that it exists.  If they wanted to watch it by now, they would have.  Doing these non-profit things isn't going to get more people interested.  

That being said, liking something unpopular really isn't an issue for me, until it gets to the point where it's so unpopular it stops being made, and I don't see that happening.

SwimFan
megasamurai

Reply to elfie - Message ID#: 68514653

I'm aware of most university anime clubs disbanding or doing hardly anything. My college's club is still hanging on well enough to be the biggest university anime club in the nation, one of the only ones that meet for two hours or more a week. It isn't even an art college. I feel that anime clubs are good for having other geeky friends. I hope NYU's club can get back together.
SwimGuru
elfie

Reply to megasamurai - Message ID#: 68518329

megasamurai wrote:
I'm aware of most university anime clubs disbanding or doing hardly anything. My college's club is still hanging on well enough to be the biggest university anime club in the nation, one of the only ones that meet for two hours or more a week. It isn't even an art college. I feel that anime clubs are good for having other geeky friends. I hope NYU's club can get back together.

I think it would be good to start by organizing a trip somewhere to see an anime movie in theaters, or go to a con together, and then talk afterward and see which people get along with other people and which ones would like to build this into a group.

SwimFan
megasamurai

Reply to elfie - Message ID#: 68518435

I know that starting your own club is ridiculously hard. My local library laughed at me for thinking of such an idea. Just working as university secretary is good enough I guess, but I would love to have some social time in the summer.
SwimHELPeR
Jingai

Reply to elfie - Message ID#: 68515751

elfie wrote:

ben0119 wrote:

KouTheMad wrote:

megasamurai wrote:

Just put the word "Progressive" somewhere in your group name and file for 501 (c) 4 status as an issue advocacy group.

Is Happiness to be found in a Future Grasped with bloodstained hands?
-Lacus Clyne.
R.I.P. Gecko Zero, Aliediz and The-Green-Hornet The burdens of this world are yours no more.
Such Beauty Ciddy is STILL mah BFF, Ghostrek 2020 Also Nrrdgirl, Tomoe242004,Hertz, Mewn, Ali ... and Vadz
The real American idea is not that every man shall be equal, but that every man shall have the liberty without hindrance to be what God has made him. The office of government is not to confer happiness but to give men the opportunity to work out happiness for themselves.
-Ronald Reagan

Gentry
Ruin-

Re: Anime "Segregated To Back of The Bus"

Reply to stockholdingotaku - Message ID#: 68480797

Comic-Con is all Heisenburg and Lannisters now.
Steam ID - erraticarsonist | KoS - Soul Eater
SwimNerd
MiddleFalcon

Reply to ThatGman - Message ID#: 68480911

ThatGman wrote:

anime's not remotely as big as it used to be, so this is not only unsurprising but somewhat justified. the popular stuff gets the prime space. the horror, right?

not to mention there are plenty of other conventions that anime has to make announcements at. they've probably got more outlets than other mediums, so i fail to see the big deal other than this is a stockholdingotaku thread.

And that anime is the only obsession anime fan has.  Why else would anime fan panic when anything threatens their preconceivd notions of their obsession?

SwimNerd
MiddleFalcon

Reply to Venomlord - Message ID#: 68481529

Venomlord wrote:

stockholdingotaku wrote:

aye, but, Time-Warner and Walt Disney have solidified their power on Comic-Con to such a vice- grip degree. There's absolutely no room for anything else. Plus T-W used to be Anime Friendly and then just ambivelant. Now they're outwardly hostile to it. As is Disney across the board to all animation..................Also the 2nd Line Comic Publisher's like Dark Horse, ( who's fortunes are officially in the toilet now with their Crown Jewel known as the Star War's Franchise running out of time ), Image, Antarctic, etc,, have all been shuffled into a slightly better corner than Anime.......I'm saying it's a straight up Monopoly now.............

Got to go to dinner now, talk to ye later.........

They always had that grip, it's nothing new.

Anime was only really strongly present back in the boom, the bubble popped and it isn't as big any more. This much has been obvious for the last few years considering there has hardly been any anime other then kid friendly ones on TV.

So this means Japan is still appeasing the otaku with moefests and annoying tsunderes who should just get their Xanax refills already? 

SwimFan

Reply to Jingai - Message ID#: 68525651

Ha, Ha, You Evil Genius........Why don't you just blurt it out....................A LOBBIEST ORGANIZATION TO PROMOTE ANIME AND MANGA AND WE"LL ALLY WITH SOME INDEPENDENT AMERICAN COMICS...................CITIZENS UNITED IN THE NAME OF ANIME!!!

SwimFan

Reply to MiddleFalcon - Message ID#: 68529825

Yeah, but, starting with Naruto.....There was no serious attempt at promoting and profiting from Anime.....Naruto and Naruto Shippuden most likely got purposely sabotaged by T ime-Warner & Disney. Despite DBZ proving unequivocally how profitable Anime for Kid's n' Teens was..............Greedy Freaking VIACOM is willing to follow up and go halfway on this. Further than Disney or Warner. But, are still holding way back and Viacom 's the type of company who always prefer's to follow greed, Rather than Lobbiest's.......................... Which tends to suggest there's some VERY SERIOUS "Lobbiest Money" Citizen's United Style being passed around to keep Anime Down. Whether it's the Religious Right's Notorious Armegeddon Lobby, PTC, Tea Party Types Birther Types With Their Koch Bros. Money, Langley' s Accuracy In Media or a combination of all the above. Who's to say.........................................And this is why American Cartoons, Japanese Anime, and Indi Comics need to join together in a "COUNTER LOBBY" Organization as, it's the only way.....................Fight Fire With Fire I always Say............