SwimPunk
ConManCody

Re: Toonami - Looking At Its Future [2013 and beyo

Reply to Sketchor - Message ID#: 64936968

Sketchor wrote:

Can we try to keep this conversation pleasant please?

Anyone who just wants to rabble on about how the block will fail can take that talk elsewhere. Rants perhaps.

2013 could see some big changes with FOX starting up their ADHD block (that's the actual acronymn no joke).

FOX running shows at 11PM will likely mean FOX comedies wont be allowed to air in the 11 hour. They don't currently and that may be because they don't want to get too attached to using FOX shows in that hour on Saturday.

Toonami will have to prove it's worth this year to see any kind of expansion but with canon Bleach and the dedicated viewership not leaving regardless of what airs then the block will at least stick around. With modern technology making bumps cheaper to produce and only airing it once a week they shouldn't have too much trouble funding it with the occasional video game review and such. But it will have to do great to expand.

We don't know what's airing on the initial line-up yet but if they are actually developing original content for the block in the years to come then expect to see less shows action shows they don't own in 2013, 2014, etc. That's exactly the direction they should be going in but they'll at least keep Bleach around and whatever else does well. Maybe they'll eventually have the funding to pick up another long shounen series and they will likely never stop airing a few fresh action acquisitions for the sake of variety.

Well as I said earlier, the only problem is what the intial line up is going to be because the hardest part for this new toonami is going to be the first few months. Bleach and the dedciated viewership is small enough to warrant bringing toonami back to boost viewership. But if they show nothing but old shows then it will slowly fade as people will want something new quickly.

Also the fact that they are trying to make action oriented shows from scratch scares me a little. Especially if they are trying to do it in an anime style because with the exception of Avatar: The Last Airbender, the US has not been that great at replicating eastern style animation and themes.

Not to mention the fact that there are so many good action anime coming out of Japan right now that it be a shame if toonami didn't air them

SwimPunk
ConManCody

Reply to rebel_cheese - Message ID#: 64937024

rebel_cheese wrote:

ConManCody wrote:

RaidonMakoto wrote:

I have to say, that's really troublesome. Madoka is not going to wow the people watching Toonami with it's first episode. It could easily be a bump in the ratings road, similar to how Tenchi was on AFD. Unless they put it between Brotherhood and Bebop. It might do less damage then. Though, I'm pretty sure Outlaw Star has that slot.

That's true, But if Toonami can cut together some promos showing some of the things that happen later in the series then I think it would be ok. It just has to get over the hill with the first 2 epsiodes then it would get people into it no problem

That depends if Madoka is coming to Toonami or not. Aniplex is a strange but deep-pocketed company, they all but confirmed they paid for DRRR!! to run on Adult Swim already so they might cough up the cash to run Madoka too. And I wouldn't be surprised that if they decide to dub Fate/ZERO and Blue Exorcist too they'll pay to run them as well, though BE and FZ are easier sells than DRRR!! and Madoka. 

That is quite true, I'll give you that.

SwimNerd
RaidonMakoto

rebel_cheese wrote:

ConManCody wrote:

RaidonMakoto wrote:

I have to say, that's really troublesome. Madoka is not going to wow the people watching Toonami with it's first episode. It could easily be a bump in the ratings road, similar to how Tenchi was on AFD. Unless they put it between Brotherhood and Bebop. It might do less damage then. Though, I'm pretty sure Outlaw Star has that slot.

That's true, But if Toonami can cut together some promos showing some of the things that happen later in the series then I think it would be ok. It just has to get over the hill with the first 2 epsiodes then it would get people into it no problem

That depends if Madoka is coming to Toonami or not. Aniplex is a strange but deep-pocketed company, they all but confirmed they paid for DRRR!! to run on Adult Swim already so they might cough up the cash to run Madoka too. And I wouldn't be surprised that if they decide to dub Fate/ZERO and Blue Exorcist too they'll pay to run them as well, though BE and FZ are easier sells than DRRR!! and Madoka. 

I'd much rather see Fate/ZERO and Blue Exorcist on Toonami than Madoka. At least initially.

12.0 #Bleach | 12.5 #Samurai7 | 1.0 #CasshernSins | 1.5 #Eureka7 | 2.0 #FMABrotherhood | 2.5 #GITS
The future is secure -- Saturdays at Midnight
Only #TOONAMI on [@adultswim].
[Adults Love It]

SwimSuperfan
Jeebus201

Oh good, just pile on the fail all at once.

Kill the block dead in its first month.  I'll welcome the American Dad episodes which replace it by then.

oh, for those obessed about anime promotion - please stop, youre just wrong. we cant even debate it because ive made a decent living by looking at promo schedules and ratings grids probably for longer than youve been alive. i can assure you that if anime promotion was the answer to anime success then youd see more anime promotion. cos then id be making more mad cash and wouldnt have to write things on the internet about anime. -Adult Swim President Mike Lazzo

http://vod.fxnetworks.com/watch/angermanagement - Full episodes of Anger Management. Because Charlie is winning, unlike Casshern Sins.
SwimNerd
RaidonMakoto

Reply to Jeebus201 - Message ID#: 64937286

Jeebus201 wrote:

Oh good, just pile on the fail all at once.

Kill the block dead in its first month.  I'll welcome the American Dad episodes which replace it by then.

You're a really dedicated troll, arentcha there?

12.0 #Bleach | 12.5 #Samurai7 | 1.0 #CasshernSins | 1.5 #Eureka7 | 2.0 #FMABrotherhood | 2.5 #GITS
[Adults Love It]

SwimFan
mercenaryninja94

Reply to RaidonMakoto - Message ID#: 64937296

oh you bet he is!

I HAVE SEEN THE LIGHT!
SwimSuperfan
Jeebus201

Reply to mercenaryninja94 - Message ID#: 64937310

Shut up.

oh, for those obessed about anime promotion - please stop, youre just wrong. we cant even debate it because ive made a decent living by looking at promo schedules and ratings grids probably for longer than youve been alive. i can assure you that if anime promotion was the answer to anime success then youd see more anime promotion. cos then id be making more mad cash and wouldnt have to write things on the internet about anime. -Adult Swim President Mike Lazzo

http://vod.fxnetworks.com/watch/angermanagement - Full episodes of Anger Management. Because Charlie is winning, unlike Casshern Sins.
SwimSuperfan
Jeebus201

Reply to RaidonMakoto - Message ID#: 64937296

I'm just saying that airing all those shows at once is pretty much a worse-case scenario.  You have to air a lot of action heavy material at once, and above all, you have to bring in a more casual crowd.

Look beyond a few hardcore fans.  Think about expanding the block to cover the whole of Saturday.  Even better, think about 12-1am Mon-Thur having a mini-Toonami block.  How would you achieve those goals?

I've seen way too many suggestions that are ignoring casuals at all costs.

SwimNerd
Hommunculus

Reply to Jeebus201 - Message ID#: 64937332

I don't think the block will leave after the first month. From what I've heard, [adult swim] is fairly dedicated to this revival. I don't know why you do not want the new Toonami to succeed, but many people do, and have been waiting for this moment for almost four years now. Regardless if whether the classic shows air or not.

Please respect that.

SwimArbiter
SwimModPerseus

Reply to Jeebus201 - Message ID#: 64937286

You guys need to stay on topic. If one of you feel a little hot under the collar then walk away and come back when you have calmed down.
┻━┻ ︵ヽ(`□´)ノ︵ ┻━┻
SwimSuperfan
Jeebus201

Reply to Hommunculus - Message ID#: 64937422

Hommunculus wrote:

I don't think the block will leave after the first month. From what I've heard, [adult swim] is fairly dedicated to this revival. I don't know why you do not want the new Toonami to succeed, but many people do, and have been waiting for this moment for almost four years now. Regardless if whether the classic shows air or not.

Please respect that.

It's not that I don't want the new block to succeed, it's that I expect them go about programming it like they have Adult Swim Action in the past, which was a failure.  In essence, I expect nothing to change and people are being overly optimistic in thinking that it will.

SwimPunk
ConManCody

Reply to Jeebus201 - Message ID#: 64937362

Jeebus201 wrote:

I'm just saying that airing all those shows at once is pretty much a worse-case scenario.  You have to air a lot of action heavy material at once, and above all, you have to bring in a more casual crowd.

Look beyond a few hardcore fans.  Think about expanding the block to cover the whole of Saturday.  Even better, think about 12-1am Mon-Thur having a mini-Toonami block.  How would you achieve those goals?

Ok then, well so far you've shot down all of our suggestions and brought none of your own. What do you think should be there then to appease the 'casual' viewer

SwimFan
mercenaryninja94

[ Edited ]

Reply to Jeebus201 - Message ID#: 64937332

no u!

I HAVE SEEN THE LIGHT!
SwimHELPeR
Sketchor

Reply to ConManCody - Message ID#: 64937084

ConManCody wrote:

Sketchor wrote:

Anyone who just wants to rabble on about how the block will fail can take that talk elsewhere. Rants perhaps.

2013 could see some big changes with FOX starting up their ADHD block (that's the actual acronymn no joke).

FOX running shows at 11PM will likely mean FOX comedies wont be allowed to air in the 11 hour. They don't currently and that may be because they don't want to get too attached to using FOX shows in that hour on Saturday.

Toonami will have to prove it's worth this year to see any kind of expansion but with canon Bleach and the dedicated viewership not leaving regardless of what airs then the block will at least stick around. With modern technology making bumps cheaper to produce and only airing it once a week they shouldn't have too much trouble funding it with the occasional video game review and such. But it will have to do great to expand.

We don't know what's airing on the initial line-up yet but if they are actually developing original content for the block in the years to come then expect to see less shows action shows they don't own in 2013, 2014, etc. That's exactly the direction they should be going in but they'll at least keep Bleach around and whatever else does well. Maybe they'll eventually have the funding to pick up another long shounen series and they will likely never stop airing a few fresh action acquisitions for the sake of variety.

Well as I said earlier, the only problem is what the intial line up is going to be because the hardest part for this new toonami is going to be the first few months. Bleach and the dedciated viewership is small enough to warrant bringing toonami back to boost viewership. But if they show nothing but old shows then it will slowly fade as people will want something new quickly.

Also the fact that they are trying to make action oriented shows from scratch scares me a little. Especially if they are trying to do it in an anime style because with the exception of Avatar: The Last Airbender, the US has not been that great at replicating eastern style animation and themes.

Not to mention the fact that there are so many good action anime coming out of Japan right now that it be a shame if toonami didn't air them

1) It's not a sure thing that old shows wont actually do better than some new shows people are clamouring for might do. If they are appealing shows that many people have not seen yet then it is possible that old shows will draw a decent crowd. That said, I fully expect them to air at least 1 new show on May 26th, possibly 2.

2) When they say they are developing original anime they mean they're talking to the Japanese companies to produce new anime for them. That's how we got Big O season 2 and I.G.P.X.

3) That's... highly subjective. A lot of the cartoons coming out of Japan simply wont work on American television. Or rather wont do well on American television. I have high hopes for Tiger & Bunny which came out last year but I'd say there is a distressing lack of great action shows coming out of Japan other than long standing series such as One Piece. Feel free to drop some names though. We have a suggestion thread for that purpose. http://boards.adultswim.com/t5/Toonami/TOONAMI-Show-Suggestion-Th
read/m-p/64902486/message-uid/64902...

They wont have any original action anime to run on the block until at least 2013 though so they have plenty of time to run acquisitions this year. Unfortunately they dont' have plenty of money to buy a ton of them at once.

HELPeR for the TOONAMI, Mobile Suit Gundam, Dragon Ball Z, Harvey Birdman and Perfect Hair Forever boards. Feel free to ask me anything on those topics.

sketch only puts the arrogant whiney punks in their place... sort of like batman, except on the {AS} boards - THECZAROFGNAR

Sketch, should we make sure it's imprinted on your grave stone "He felt very strongly that Bleach belonged on Toonami!" - .hack-SIGN_John

"We aknowledged that Toonami is cooler than us... and they aknowledged that we're full of ****." [adult swim]
SwimFan
BoanThugsInHarmony

Reply to Jeebus201 - Message ID#: 64936170

Jeebus201 wrote:

Poke_Nirvash wrote:

Bitch about Toonami and its potential failure all you want; one opinion won't even hold a candle to the masses who will compose the second night no '90s kid slept.

Oh, how blind you are.  When people realize "Hey, the shows here really, really stink" ratings will plummet.

Stop thinking like a fanboy and start viewing things objectively.

Haha, oh wow. The irony is astonishing.

hi
hi
hi
SwimNerd
RaidonMakoto

Jeebus201 wrote:

I feel the same way; casual fans are the key. However, I do trust Jason DeMarco to deliver.

[Adults Love It]

SwimPunk
ConManCody

Reply to Sketchor - Message ID#: 64937630

Sketchor wrote:

ConManCody wrote:

Sketchor wrote:

1) It's not a sure thing that old shows wont actually do better than some new shows people are clamouring for might do. If they are appealing shows that many people have not seen yet then it is possible that old shows will draw a decent crowd. That said, I fully expect them to air at least 1 new show on May 26th, possibly 2.

2) When they say they are developing original anime they mean they're talking to the Japanese companies to produce new anime for them. That's how we got Big O season 2 and I.G.P.X.

3) That's... highly subjective. A lot of the cartoons coming out of Japan simply wont work on American television. Or rather wont do well on American television. I have high hopes for Tiger & Bunny which came out last year but I'd say there is a distressing lack of great action shows coming out of Japan other than long standing series such as One Piece. Feel free to drop some names though. We have a suggestion thread for that purpose. http://boards.adultswim.com/t5/Toonami/TOONAMI-Show-Suggestion-Th
read/m-p/64902486/message-uid/64902...

They wont have any original action anime to run on the block until at least 2013 though so they have plenty of time to run acquisitions this year. Unfortunately they dont' have plenty of money to buy a ton of them at once.

Oh, I honeslty didn't know that's how I.G.P.X and BIG O got green lit. Hmmm, Well if that's the case I just hope they can get decent studios to help them out then. You've renewed my hope :3

SwimHotshot
-Dudeco-

[ Edited ]

Reply to mercenaryninja94 - Message ID#: 64937458

mercenaryninja94 wrote:

no u!

I know you all don't agree that anime is bad and neither do I. But its an opinion. I , do, however think that there are more civil ways we can express that opinion and going into a fan thread for anime, campaigning against it and saying saying something mean to people who disagree with this isn't one of them.

Toonami isn't just an action block. It's also the reuniting of fans who are all in this big happy family and if people can't respect that, then I highly suggest they post outside of this thread.

Thats my 2 cents in the fountain. Sailor Moon 4ever!

Oliver & Company is a decidedly lesser effort in the Disney canon, with lackluster songs, stiff animation, and a thoroughly predictable plot.
There are 5 original seasons of Futurama, not 4.
The old school=The new school!

SwimPunk
ZoneOn

[ Edited ]

Adult Swim has to attract the casual fans people. Toonami is going to fail if they focus on obscure and niche #### right out the gate. The anime with limited is not going to fly.

SwimHotshot
-Dudeco-

Reply to Jeebus201 - Message ID#: 64936466

Jeebus201 wrote:

ConManCody wrote:

Jeebus201 wrote:

Airing a de-construction of a genre no one in America gives a crap about.

Yes, this is exactly how you should premiere your brand new block [/sarcasm]

Well you obviously don't hang around the anime convention scene ,where your bound to see at least sevreal dozen people cosplaying chraacters from that particular show. All of these people being American and hardcore toonami fans and all...

OK, and what's stopping these people from downloading the material?  What about the causal audience a block like this is supposed to reach?

Hardcore fans are one thing, the TV audience, which is decidedly more casual, is something else.

Not everyone can afford/is willing to spend money on a computer with internet access. Some people have to stick with cable TV shows and that includes anime fans. [Adult Swim] and Toonami know this and have no qualms about taking advantage of it.

Oliver & Company is a decidedly lesser effort in the Disney canon, with lackluster songs, stiff animation, and a thoroughly predictable plot.
There are 5 original seasons of Futurama, not 4.
The old school=The new school!

SwimNerd
CrimsonFlameKnight

Reply to RaidonMakoto - Message ID#: 64937198

RaidonMakoto wrote:

rebel_cheese wrote:

ConManCody wrote:

RaidonMakoto wrote:

I'd much rather see Fate/ZERO and Blue Exorcist on Toonami than Madoka. At least initially.

If there's any anime from recent years that deserves to air on TV, it's Fate/Zero. However, it'll need decent promotion in order to take off, so I don't think having it be one of the initial shows would work in its favor. Madoka would be good, you can promote it as "the next Sailor Moon"...at first, but once again, promotion. And if you ask me, I'd rather have Nanoha be Toonami's next Sailor Moon. Sadly, unless FUNI redubs it, that ship has probably long since sailed.

SwimFan
Griffin1

Reply to Jeebus201 - Message ID#: 64928634

I hate u..

//./././././
SwimNerd
SuperLazuli

Reply to Griffin1 - Message ID#: 65530774

Why thread necro?

"Glad to see you stayed with us. Toonami loves you."

--D

"Fall Down Seven Times....Stand Up Eight."

--Japanese Proverb

#KeepToonamiAlive
SwimNerd
Wizdumful

Reply to Jeebus201 - Message ID#: 64937440

Jeebus201 wrote:

Hommunculus wrote:

Please respect that.

It's not that I don't want the new block to succeed, it's that I expect them go about programming it like they have Adult Swim Action in the past, which was a failure.  In essence, I expect nothing to change and people are being overly optimistic in thinking that it will.

That's a bit overly pessimistic.

It'd be kinda ridiculous if they really didn't change anything prgramming wise, seeing how that dug them into a hole in the first place. (Then again, they might not give a shxt)

Call me Sunshine, but I think if we squeeze our ####cheecks together reeeal tight, and watch it whenever we get a chance, we'd see progress.

But a nigg can only speculate. I'm mostly just chillin' along here for the ride. 

SwimHELPeR
ALchemist81

Reply to Wizdumful - Message ID#: 65532568

Well, now that we've necrobumped this, oh how things have changed in only 2 months. We've got Deadman Wonderland and Casshern Sins, and they're doing DECENT in the ratings, better than the Bleach/FMA:B/DRRR!! combo did in the first 5 months of 2012, but not NEAR as good as premiering Bleach/DRRR!!/FMA:B did this time last year. FMA:B occasionally got over 1200k at 1 AM, while Casshern bottomed out at less than 600k in the EXACT SAME timeslot! That's somewhat worrisome, but the key is probably weak Bleach premieres, and it seems like it should REALLY take off once Bleach returns to the canon storyline this fall!

Canon Bleach couldn't beat 1700k overall without Toonami; will it be able to WITH Toonami? Only time will tell...
Time to shuffle the deck once again! This Saturday night on Toonami, Catch brand-spankin' new episodes of Attack on Titan and Bleach as Eren's bizarre abilities and Ichigo's confrontation with Xcution unfold further at 11:30 and Midnight respectively! How do you follow that? No better way but a really weird WORLD PREMIERE Space Dandy episode at 12:30! Naruto gets foxy (and NOT sexy) on Naruto: Shippuden at 1, we kick off the rumble in Enies Lobby on One Piece at 1:30, then Yukio goes full-demon on Blue Exorcist at 2 AM and the Bat moves up to 2:30 with US TV Premiere episodes before Black Lagoon starts its final arc of the "Second Barrage" at 3 AM! Following that, more from the Forest of Death in Naruto at 3:30 and Gluttony goes berserk--or should I say "ravenous?"--on Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood 4 before the return of Bebop at 4:30! Finally, an hour of CN classics close out the night: Star Wars: The Clone Wars with more lightsaber-slingin' is at 5, and Samurai Jack at 5:30.

And get ready for Gurren Lagann, drilling its way to TOONAMI at 2 AM August 16th!