Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Face in the Mirror
Bloodzombie77

Stephen Colbert disses Venture Bros.

That's right folks, Mr. Stephen Colbert feels as though he is now too good to be heard among the likes of those on the Venture Bros.  The former funny-man turned complete jackass is now too famous to be doing voice-over work, even for just a one episode cameo like the last two seasons.  In this excerpt from Jackson Publick's own LiveJournal:

"One sour note from the past month (aside from my car getting hit yet again) is that Mr. Stephen Colbert has decided not to reprise his role as Professor Impossible this season, for reasons which probably have something to do with him being all super-famous, super-busy, and no longer in need of a few hundred bucks here and there. We figured this would happen eventually, considering his monumental success in the years since our first season, but we held out hope that the WGA strike would leave him with enough bored free time on his hands that he'd have a go at it. But after getting shuffled around from his assistant to his assistant's assistant to his agent to his manager, one of them finally shot us an email saying: "Stephen has neither the time nor the interest in participating in your project."

Well then Mr. Colbert, I guess I'm now too good to be seen watching your show...oh wait...that's right...all of your writers are on strike!  And yes, I know you're gonna try to go on without them...*laughs*..good luck with that, you @$$hole.

Just google the term "Publick Nuisance" to get to his LiveJournal...apparently [as] has a problem with me putting the web address on here.
Spinning Spider
CartoonistatLarge

Re: Stephen Colbert disses Venture Bros.

Reply to Bloodzombie77 - Message ID#: 41463231

I was so disappointed when I read that. I could not believe that assistants were such cut throat a-holes.

[as]: ATHF | Brak Show | Delocated | Harvey Birdman | Frisky Dingo | Metalocalypse | Moral Orel | PHF | Squidbillies | Superjail! | Tim & Eric | The Venture Bros. | Xavier

TV: 30 Rock | Curb Your Enthusiasm | It's Always Sunny | LOST | Mad Men | Parks and Recreations | The Simpsons (Seasons 1-10)

Currently Reading: Paradise Lost | Currently Listening to: The xx

5 Favorite Artists: The Flaming Lips | Beck | Deerhunter | MF DOOM | TV on the Radio

Zombie Slayer
NullnVoid

So they are doing another season of Venture Brothers? Excellent! I've missed that show. I hate that they do a season once every three years.
If the whole human race lay in one grave, the epitaph on its headstone might well be: `It seemed a good idea at the time.' --Irish Proverb.
Spinning Spider
CartoonistatLarge

Reply to NullnVoid - Message ID#: 41463273

June 08

[as]: ATHF | Brak Show | Delocated | Harvey Birdman | Frisky Dingo | Metalocalypse | Moral Orel | PHF | Squidbillies | Superjail! | Tim & Eric | The Venture Bros. | Xavier

TV: 30 Rock | Curb Your Enthusiasm | It's Always Sunny | LOST | Mad Men | Parks and Recreations | The Simpsons (Seasons 1-10)

5 Favorite Artists: The Flaming Lips | Beck | Deerhunter | MF DOOM | TV on the Radio

Scaredy Cat
SickAndWretched

I don't see how that's "dissing" the Venture Bros. He just said that he wasn't going to voice Professor Impossible. Nothing major there.

Adult Swim 1065 Williams Street Atlanta, GA 30309
..You're my new family now..
Scaredy Cat
SickAndWretched

Reply to CartoonistatLarge - Message ID#: 41463269

CartoonistatLarge wrote:
I could not believe that assistants were such cut throat a-holes.

Really? 'cause hollywood assistants are known for being like. Hell I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't even ask Steven Colbert whether he wanted to do the show or not.

Adult Swim 1065 Williams Street Atlanta, GA 30309
..You're my new family now..
Mysterious Ooze
spacepilot3001

Not cool Steven and to think I just got your book today.
Futurama Pownz
Aunt Norma's Urn
Hazencruz

who knew he could be such an ** ho ho ho **? is it him or the assistant though u gotta wonder...

neither the time nor the interest. Maybe the execs's persistance annoyed them or something. Still, they could have been a little more polite.
"Well thats great bobby but we don't have Dance Dance Revolution. So...you're...dumb." -Jeff from Grandma's Boy
Scaredy Cat
simoFG14

Reply to spacepilot3001 - Message ID#: 41463677

Dude me too.  I don't know if I can read it now.
i don't remember any html
Hell's Minions
Majikthise

Bloodzombie77 wrote:
Just google the term "Publick Nuisance" to get to his LiveJournal...apparently [as] has a problem with me putting the web address on here.

Or you could follow this link:

http://jacksonpublick.livejournal.com/19560.html

Rank has its privileges.
([]o)   Your friendly neighborhood lycanthrope (and part-time lava man)   ([]o)
Read my interview with Jackson Publick and Doc Hammer: Seeing More Venture Bros. in HD
"I didn't tell them to go die...you can live from jumping off a bridge...that's why I chose a bridge :smileysad:" --KibaWar
"If I made a thread about Suicide, specifically asking what kind of gun would be best to use to kill yourself
with, would I be banned? I'm not interested in killing myself to be honest. Just curious." --TsumeBlue

TAD GHOSTAL SAVES LIVES -- Memoirs of a SwimWerewolf
Pumpkin Guts
SpokeyDokey9787

I was pretty disappointed in Jackson until I read the whole thing and realized the "good luck ásshole" part wasn't in there. Apparently I missed the end quotation mark.

Anyway, yeah it kind of súcks. I always thought it was really cool that Stephen Colbert did small parts like Mr. Impossible and Phil Ken Sebben. But I'm sure that his exact words weren't "I have neither the time nor the interest in this project". And I'm sure he's stressed out with the writer's strike and everything too. I mean, he's not a writer, but if the show suddenly flops because the executives decided to go on with the show without the writers, guess who's out of a job.

Granted, it could just be that he's become a complete douche. But I doubt it.
I'm a leader of the Coucil of Doom

Last time I checked you need more than some Duracells and christmas lights to blow up a bridge.
Hell's Minions
Majikthise

Reply to SpokeyDokey9787 - Message ID#: 41464100

Actually, Colbert is a writer. He was even credited as such on The Report.
([]o)   Your friendly neighborhood lycanthrope (and part-time lava man)   ([]o)
Read my interview with Jackson Publick and Doc Hammer: Seeing More Venture Bros. in HD
"I didn't tell them to go die...you can live from jumping off a bridge...that's why I chose a bridge :smileysad:" --KibaWar
"If I made a thread about Suicide, specifically asking what kind of gun would be best to use to kill yourself
with, would I be banned? I'm not interested in killing myself to be honest. Just curious." --TsumeBlue

TAD GHOSTAL SAVES LIVES -- Memoirs of a SwimWerewolf
Pumpkin Guts

Reply to CartoonistatLarge - Message ID#: 41463269

That's too bad, but at least the character isn't being retired.
"Start wearing purple wearing purple
start wearing purple, for me now
all your sanity and wits, they will all vanish
I promise, it's just a matter of time..."
Aunt Norma's Urn
axegorilla

So basically Colbert declined to return to The Venture Bros, with a somewhat impolite message, and Jackson seemed dissapointed by that, but not bitter. So WHERE exactly are you getting that there's some big huge feud between them?
Man you gotta stop with the grape soda.
Candy Thief
greyshirt

ever since he stopped doing phil & raduceo its never been the same..............
Hell's Minions
wickedlady4180

Reply to axegorilla - Message ID#: 41464503

He never implied that there was a huge feud... what are you reading?
Tim & EricATHFH.MoviesBrakSGC2COblongsFamily.GBirdmanSealabVentureBebopS.JailMetalInuyasha12ozD.Note
[ プリクラ ] [ »»───(knee)───► ] [ Official H.E.L.P.e.R of the T&E/FG/CIO folders ]
Laughing Clown
qaz334

That is so uncool and unsexy.
Qaz Qazi of the Kave Klan Uranus
You are validating my inherent mistrust of strangers. 8 0 0 - G O T O H E L L The MySpaze
Mysterious Ooze
LandEmpires

But was that the opinion of the 'real' Stephen Colbert, or of the Colbert Report Stephen Colbert
Enjoy Leapfrog, a novel by me.

I died when a tree fell on me.
Zombie Slayer
SenileEnvy

Reply to SickAndWretched - Message ID#: 41463636

SickAndWretched wrote:

CartoonistatLarge wrote:
I could not believe that assistants were such cut throat a-holes.

Really? 'cause hollywood assistants are known for being like. Hell I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't even ask Steven Colbert whether he wanted to do the show or not.

98% likely this is what happened. They probly didn't even know/care he had done the show before and were "pfff, a cartoon that's not the SImpsons or Family Guy? eff that!"  *delete*
wut iz making my awesome right now? The new Hellboy 2 trailer, Big O repeats on Saturday, Xavier and T & E, Astroboy, Philly Cheesesteack Thickburger at Hardee's, used audio cassettes of nearly 20 year old stand-up by Emo Phillips and Bobcat Goldthwait (3 dollars each!), Shoot'em Up, Rescue Me, Dr. Katz, Home Movies, Wondershowzen, It's Always Sunny... and other DVDs as always.

stuff i'm watching/re-watching- Xavier, Tim & Eric,13 discs of Dr. Katz!, Rescue Me season 2, AstroBoy, Best of Larry Sanders Show, Darkplace, 12 oz Mouse, Home Movies, 30 Rock season 1, Pushing Daisies, Deathnote, Arrested Development, old Simpsons, Babylon 5 season 1

Living shows on my TV, internet or DVD: Xavier, T&E:AS,GJ!, Squids, Moral Orel, It’s Always Sunny, Frisky Dingo, Pushing Daisies, Office, American Dad, My Name is Earl, 30 Rock, Life, Boondocks, Astro Boy, Death Note, Sarah Silverman, Venture Bros., Metal
Dead shows on DVD, TV or da internet, Larry Sanders, Arrested Development, Darkplace , Home Movies, Firefly, FLCL, 12 ozmo, Evangelion, Eureka 7, old Simpsons, Upright Citizens Brigade, Stella, The Job, Freaks and Geeks, Trigun, Tenchi series.(90% of my DVDs are packed)
Spinning Spider
CartoonistatLarge

Reply to SenileEnvy - Message ID#: 41468325

Probably. Maybe they saw Cartoon Network/adult swim's attachment and knowing Stephen had to cut ties with Harvey Birdman...

Blood Donors
SwimMod_Luuv

[ Edited ]

Wow that's kinda interesting.

Thinking about it though, it must be extremely tough to do a NIGHTLY show.  I mean, look at how much time and effort has to go into these shows with like 6-22 episodes a year.

Imagine having to do the higher side of that (about 20 episodes or so) each month rather than each year.

So maybe it's understandable.

Yet on the other hand, is it necessary to say something like "he has niether the time nor the interest"?  I mean - what's so tough about saying something like "production schedules being what they are, we just don't have the time to spare but it's been great working with you and good luck" or whatever.

Also there's a factor of - you take on a certain project that you know is a recurring character, even if you're not under contract, I think if you really care about your craft, you'll probably follow through with those commitments.  Or you should.

I mean - there hasn't been any kind of creative decline in Venture Brothers.  It's as strong as it ever was.  It's a solid show.  And really - providing the voice even of a recurring character that's probably only in an episode or two really doesn't eat up much time. 

Also it's not like Venture Brothers as a project has ever exploited it's connection with Colbert, or ever would.  He's in the same quick credit scroll at the end just like all the other voice actors. 

All things considered, I'd say - the rudeness is defintiely a mistake.  I realize that you get to a point where you're not in direct contact with everybody who works for you, but honestly I just don't think there's an excuse for that. 

And not honoring these kinds of commitments (and like I said, contract or no, committing to a character that you know is a recurring character in a tv show is obviously an ongoing commitment) is also something of a mistake I think on a number of levels. 

I realize everybody needs some free time and nobody can be everywhere at once and doing a nightly show is tough.

But I also realize that - we're not talking about a huge bite into his schedule here and it's a previous commitment.  And like I said, the rudeness factor isn't helping anything.  This stuff does get around especially in the internet age. 

It just really doesn't hurt to be polite in business no matter how rich or popular you are or how big a high you're riding.

Message Edited by SwimMod_Luuv on 12-26-2007 02:56 AM

Spinning Spider
CartoonistatLarge

Reply to SwimMod_Luuv - Message ID#: 41468857

Agreed. You could record a guy for 3 episodes in a day (That's what Jackson did to record Urbaniak and Warburton in LA). And also Writer's Strike should've made it possible. Colbert is a funny man, but it will be hard to continue a show that takes the better half of 8 hours just to PREPARE FOR. And this is with scabs, not his main men that help produce it. Love him to death, but seriously. Colbert doesn't do a new show on Friday, Saturday or Sunday usually. And every so often, he doesn't even do Mondays.

Ghost Doge
strangerdanger

I'm pretty sure the show can get along without Prof. Impossible.

Besides, since the writters continue on with their tantrums, I gotta think he's way too swamped to do any voice work.

Co-Hosting the Hell out of Instant Leftovers Podcast
Go to FRED - FRED Loves You
Ghost Doge
strangerdanger

'sides.  It doesn't say Stephen specifically said "nor the interest".  The assistant's assistant's assistant could have just taken something out of context or just added it on there theirselves.
Co-Hosting the Hell out of Instant Leftovers Podcast
Go to FRED - FRED Loves You
Scaredy Cat
ExpIosivo_420

what will Colbert do now that he can't fall back on the success of the venture brothers?

c'mon folks, he is a busy man so he can't make a voice-over session, big whoop
I like pens. My writing is so amazing there's never a need to erase.